Knee pads

Hey guys, so I’m 44 and only started riding about 2 years ago to do something with my kids. I’m having a great time but I hurt one of my knees almost immediately with my sucky riding skills and have been putting off going to the dr due to no insurance. Anyway, I was looking into buying some knee pads but they range from $12 to almost $600. Does anyone else here have a similar situation? 

I’ve been riding since I was 5 and now I’m 26. I took a few years off(getting married having kids college) you know the deal this past year I got back into riding. Growing up and all through high school I just wore helmet,riding gear,boots, and a chest protector no knee guards. I got a new bike last fall and started riding with all the stuff I used to wear but still no knee guards. This winter I went down hard on my left knee on frozen ground. Needless to say it hurt like hell and was the size of a soft ball I don’t know what I did inside but it still hurts some lol. That day when I got home I looked up all different types of knee braces/guards. I found a set of Leatt dual axis knee/shin guards. I also bought the socks that go under them. I put them on and they fit in my boots perfect and they are comfortable the first time I rode it took a little to get used to I guess because I’ve never worn any. But after a few miles I don’t even notice them I almost feel like I can grip the bike better I havent gone down with them yet but I’m sure they will perform well they were around $90.00.
IMG_2652.JPG

• Like 1

I’ve been riding since I was 5 and now I’m 26. I took a few years off(getting married having kids college) you know the deal this past year I got back into riding. Growing up and all through high school I just wore helmet,riding gear,boots, and a chest protector no knee guards. I got a new bike last fall and started riding with all the stuff I used to wear but still no knee guards. This winter I went down hard on my left knee on frozen ground. Needless to say it hurt like hell and was the size of a soft ball I don’t know what I did inside but it still hurts some lol. That day when I got home I looked up all different types of knee braces/guards. I found a set of Leatt dual axis knee/shin guards. I also bought the socks that go under them. I put them on and they fit in my boots perfect and they are comfortable the first time I rode it took a little to get used to I guess because I’ve never worn any. But after a few miles I don’t even notice them I almost feel like I can grip the bike better I havent gone down with them yet but I’m sure they will perform well they were around $90.00.
IMG_2652.thumb.JPG.7a1ffe196c826ca08a2cced0c2b77b32.JPG
I'm seconding that exact pair of Leatts. I have them, they're fantastic, and have saved my kneecaps on several occasions. $90 at various retailers. They are comfortable all day on the bike, though not as much if you have to walk a ways-- but that's typical of kneepads. I highly recommend this set.

I never used to wear knee guards.  Started riding dual-sport/dirt when I was about 27.  At 35, I wrecked and shattered my kneecap.  So for the last 22 year, I have not had a kneecap in my right knee.  Get some kind of knee guards.  Even if they are inexpensive ones.  Something is better than nothing.  You can live without a kneecap but the way they had to hook the tendons up, the leverage is all wrong so although I can walk pretty normal, I can't make the motion like stepping up on a stool or similar with my right leg because the muscle leverage does not work right.

I just went through this. I have large legs and I can’t fit the shin/knee combo guards inside my boots. I tried 2 different Troy lee knee guards and a Leatt version. The leatt was the most comfortable but in the end I went with the Troy lee t-bone guards. They are not hard shell but feel like they will help in any instance. They Velcro on the top and bottom so no slipping.  I don’t push anything hard so more like trying to take the initial impact a little less if I do crash. From my biking days I won’t ride a trail anymore without some kind of guards. Worth every penny. 

My advice would be to go through amazon and try on various ones and return what you don’t need.  I do t have a moto shop near by to try on everything so that helped a tone using amazon prime. 

Good luck with the search!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Trombly said:

I just went through this. I have large legs and I can’t fit the shin/knee combo guards inside my boots. I tried 2 different Troy lee knee guards and a Leatt version. The leatt was the most comfortable but in the end I went with the Troy lee t-bone guards. They are not hard shell but feel like they will help in any instance. They Velcro on the top and bottom so no slipping.  I don’t push anything hard so more like trying to take the initial impact a little less if I do crash. From my biking days I won’t ride a trail anymore without some kind of guards. Worth every penny. 

My advice would be to go through amazon and try on various ones and return what you don’t need.  I do t have a moto shop near by to try on everything so that helped a tone using amazon prime. 

Good luck with the search!

I have the same issue, the first set of knee shin guards wouldn't fit in My boot, I ended up with Leatt 3DFs.  Don't look much but so far have worked well. They are short enough that they just tuck into the top of My boot. Better than nothing.

• Like 1

Under $20. I've been wearing these for several years, protection of your knees from falls doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.  If you need support, though, try something else.

• Like 2

Same for elbows.  I go with mtn. bike pads for them.  Light and totally flexible.
troy-lee-designs-e-lite-elbow-guards.jpg

Never thought about elbow pads[emoji848] I assume elbows like frozen ground about as much a knees do lol
  • Like 1

I have a pair of Leatt Dual Axis knee pads... don't really care for them.  Disappointed in the quality and coverage. 

Wore them once or twice on the sled, I think I got a ride with them on the moto, just didn't care for them.

Ended up wearing hockey knee pads most of the snow season. 

Bought a pair of the newer Thor Force pads... overall I like them.  Did need to modify the velcro so it didn't rub my legs raw, but once I fixed that they've been great.

I use the Thor Force XP knee guards... around $100 Canadian, they work GREAT, are comfortable and hug the knee like a brace. They stay put and do not dig into your leg and fit in the top of your boot real nice.... I wrote a review on them in the TT review section but it seems to have vanished ????

Ed

Thor Force XP knee Guards.jpg

• Like 1