Bel-ray vs. Castrol oil

4 hours ago, 300RSR said:

I am currently running Bel-ray synthetic HR-1 racing oil in my 2010 ktm 300 xcw. I have heard alot of good things about Castrol oil. Should I switch? Or should I stick with what has been run in the bike for 8 years? 

mms_picture (3).jpg

2t_motorcycle_1l.jpg

The one I use is this below and it’s designed for dirt bikes not like the one above

castrol power 1 TTS has a really low flash point unlike the beltway h1-r so it burns really clean even at low engine temps , excellent for trail riding/ single track 

29DBCFCA-2055-481C-A516-E8256CBB6DB5.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kxrob said:

The one I use is this below and it’s designed for dirt bikes not like the one above

castrol power 1 TTS has a really low flash point unlike the beltway h1-r so it burns really clean even at low engine temps , excellent for trail riding/ single track 

29DBCFCA-2055-481C-A516-E8256CBB6DB5.jpeg

I dont think that we can get that in the US. I would Like to try some for giggles and whatnot. Honestly to the op just stick with the bel-ray

I just switched to Bel-ray H1R.  I've only got about 30 mins up and down the street on it, but it runs much cleaner than the polaris oil that was in it.  It does have a high flash point, so it's possible I will have spooging problems, but we'll see.  I primarily switched to it because I saw a comparison someone did with model airplane engines, running brand new engines for 3 hours at WOT and then taking them apart and looking at them.  The H1R was the only oil that had zero carbon buildup, and zero scoring of the piston skirt.  Also, I've heard that this stuff cleans your powervalve so effectively, that you can take a bike with a stuck powervalve and run a tank of two of this mix through it and it will unstick the valve.

if i couldn't get castrol from my parts supplier i would use either motul 710 or belray MC1 , because thats what they also keep in stock and my riding doesn't require 

high flash point oil and i like to keep the plug clean , also i have used both belray and motul products ( belray air filter oil and motul fork oil ) and are happy with there products

You may need to adjust the jetting, or the mix ratio.

Other than that, just depends on what happens. It might be dirtier, it might not prevent wear as well, it might be totally fine.

Lots of people do just fine with mineral 2T oil, just like lots of people do fine with expensive synthetic oil. If you take care of the bike and maintain it as needed, the operation should be pretty much the same. The synthetic might require less maintenance over time, but there's only one way to know.

Your ktm 300 uses a 2 ring piston and is often ridden at lower rpms and partial throttle a gear high.  Many rebuilds have shown the 2nd ring gummed or stuck in the groove using any oil.  Thicker "race" oils and castor blends can make it more of a factor if its not.being run hard and hot.  Possibly why both ktm(motorex) and husqvarna(Belray) and beta(Motul) spec a lower viscosity product in their marketing partners line of oils.  

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 2