Golden Spike Harescramble Help

So I just got back from the Desert 100 and attempted my first race ever! Though only able to finish one lap due to clutch issues, I am ready for more brutality at the Golden Spike event. So my questions are...

How long is the race? (Miles per lap)

Will a 3gallon tank on my yz250 be enough?

Is it easier or more difficult than the the terrain in Odessa?

Is this beginner racing friendly?

Laps weren't very long, I don't remember exactly but definitely the under 15mi. That tank is definitely big enough and the course is easier. There are some fun pavement sections at the golden spike. Race short course and it'll be beginner friendly. 

• Like 2

Laps weren't very long, I don't remember exactly but definitely the under 15mi. That tank is definitely big enough and the course is easier. There are some fun pavement sections at the golden spike. Race short course and it'll be beginner friendly. 
Awsome thankyou for the reply. Yeah I figured I would be in Open C and be doing short course. Perfectly fine with me until I fine tune my riding capabilities.
  • Like 1

If your racing any C class  that will be the short course race. Its 1.5 hours plus 1 lap. If you cross the finish line at 1 hour 29 minutes you go out for another  cross at 1 hour 30 minutes  1 second  and your done. Laps are around 7 miles or so. Figure on about 4 laps. You shouldn't  even come close to needing gas unless you have a major leak or have the worst jetting on the planet.

If your racing any C class  that will be the short course race. Its 1.5 hours plus 1 lap. If you cross the finish line at 1 hour 29 minutes you go out for another  cross at 1 hour 30 minutes  1 second  and your done. Laps are around 7 miles or so. Figure on about 4 laps. You shouldn't  even come close to needing gas unless you have a major leak or have the worst jetting on the planet.
Awsome! Thankyou for the answer. Yeah I did 50miles at D100 and had maybe enough gas for a couple miles but cutting it close. Does Golden Spike have a pit setup? Never been to a harescramble before.

38 minutes ago, seanomono said:
43 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Read more  

Awsome! Thankyou for the answer. Yeah I did 50miles at D100 and had maybe enough gas for a couple miles but cutting it close. Does Golden Spike have a pit setup? Never been to a harescramble before.

19 minutes ago, crashhard_17 said:

I’d recommend running the salvage sprint enduro the next day. It’s an amazing racing experience and pits you against the clock rather than pounding laps nonstop chasing the leader.

Yes there will be a pit area if needed but you shouldn't.need it.. 

The sprint enduro the next day is much more civilized and easy going.

If you want to get some very good riding in come join us for the Sparkplug enduro on the 29th at Tahuya and the Shelton valley the next weekend.  Yes they are timekeeping  but theres plenty of guys you can tag along with and follow along.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am really interested in the golden spike i have never done a race that included pavement and it sounds like a blast. The D100 was a heck of a fun race, really need to try more races around here

12 hours ago, jblob said:

I am really interested in the golden spike i have never done a race that included pavement and it sounds like a blast. The D100 was a heck of a fun race, really need to try more races around here

You'll be surprised how far you can lay a dirtbike over on pavement through corners....when it's dry.

I sweep/work the east end of the course and the whole sprint course and have a blast doing so.  You should go.  It's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 10:12 AM, seanomono said:

So I just got back from the Desert 100 and attempted my first race ever! Though only able to finish one lap due to clutch issues, I am ready for more brutality at the Golden Spike event. So my questions are...

How long is the race? (Miles per lap)

Typically 7-8 miles

Will a 3gallon tank on my yz250 be enough?

Should be but it's always reassuring to have a small can in the pits with fresh gloves, water, etc... to pull off if you need for a quick 're-group'

Is it easier or more difficult than the the terrain in Odessa?

Is Odessa hard?  ;-)  Very fun course layout combining woods, open clearcut (scotch broom lines the course here) some areas of rock. And open asphalt marked with tri-pods and course ribbon.  My 15 daughter loves this course.

Is this beginner racing friendly?

Definitely.  Race the 'short course' and sign up for age group C level or Open C or sportsman.  If you here a bike behind you blipping the throttle...they aren't mad, just a heads up, I'm behind you, can you please move aside.  99% of the time, they'll yell thank you as they go bye.

See my response in-line.

Edited by MX813

If you are thinking about going to the Golden Spike, do it! It is an awesome event and has been voted NMA Race of the Year multiple times.

You get a little bit of asphalt, some rocky trails through scotch broom, some really nice single track through the woods, and some REALLY sweet groomed course through the woods. Once you race the Golden Spike you will be hooked!

Also, the next day is the Salvage Sprint Enduro at the same location, no timekeeping equipment required. The course gets changed up from the day before with less asphalt and more single track.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Dave Wood said:

Groomed course? Tractor trails. No Thank's.

Hardly groomed...we worked a few sections that were in general, getting hacked out bad.  Don't worry, plenty of ST, rocks in a race to keep you happy...along with 5th gear urban asphalt course and other post-logging plant operations detritus...

Google the race and watch some helmet vids...

Can someone explain what the format is for the Salvage on Sunday?  I did the Golden Spike last year (first race ever) and had a great time.  Prior plans are causing me to miss the GS so I'm thinking I want to come for the Salvage.  Thanks Stumpjumpers for all your work on these events!  

8 hours ago, WazzuFox said:

Can someone explain what the format is for the Salvage on Sunday?  I did the Golden Spike last year (first race ever) and had a great time.  Prior plans are causing me to miss the GS so I'm thinking I want to come for the Salvage.  Thanks Stumpjumpers for all your work on these events!  

The sprint enduro format is pretty cool, and simple.

To break it down to the very basics, everybody has a pre-determined amount of time to complete a set number of laps (the number of laps depends on which class you are signed up in). Each lap is timed, and when you're done all your lap times are tallied.  Lowest total time wins.

The number of laps to complete and allotted time to complete them will be determined before the event once the course is laid out and they know how long it takes an 'average' rider to complete a lap. This usually happens the day before the event, and will be posted during sign up.

So, say the laps are about 30 minutes long and your class has to complete 5 laps (2.5 hours of ride time), and you have 3.5 hours total to complete those five laps.  You can go out and ride a lap, come back into the paddock area, have some water, make an adjustment to your bike, have a snack, whatever, and then head out for your next lap. Or you can run all five laps with no break. The only requirement is that you complete all you laps before the time limit.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WazzuFox said:

The format of the Salvage is you are racing against the clock, trying to complete each lap as fast as possible.  The total number of laps to complete depends on what class you race in hare scrambles IE: Goldenspike.  You will have a time frame (usually a couple hours) to complete all of the required laps and winner/finish order is determined by lowest combined time.

These races are a lot of fun as you can go do a lap, come in, catch your breath, hydrate, fix/adjust any mechanical (while keeping your bike in the established paddock) and then head out for another lap.  The course is altered quite a bit so for those racing Saturday, it is not a repeat of the same course.

• Like 1