Currently rebuilding my CR250R 03 that has been sat not used for maybe 8-10 years

so far inspected all of the top end cleaned it up rebuilt the sus everything on the bike looks great

i have warnededto keep an eye on the oil seals such as sprocket shifter etc

but not heard anyone say to check out the water pump. Should I open th water pump casing just to check for signs of wear or maybe even rust I imagine that could form in there? Or would this just be a waste of time and money on new gaskets?

thanks ash

Since the cooling sysytem is a life critical element on the bike I would definitely recommend opening it up and replacing the seals/bearing and checking the shaft for wear. After that you can probably expect years of problem free service like the original. 

Definitely pull the side cover off and replace the seals and check the bearing. There is a an oil seal, a coolant seal and two gaskets. Its an easy job. 

Thanks is it still worth doing the crank seals if I am planning a new bottom end rebuild next year?

3 hours ago, ashfmxuk said:

Thanks is it still worth doing the crank seals if I am planning a new bottom end rebuild next year?

Yes!! They cost $15-20 maybe and the time involved isn’t that bad, at least for the dry seal on the ignition side, which is the one that usually goes first and causes most of the problems.  

Cool will do them both going to just get a full oil seal kit and do them all. If I remember correctly clutch holder and fly wheel puller should be enough?

@TT Silver Member I took the plunge and am going with replacing every oil seal.
One thing I cant work out though the clutch plates, the friction plates the ones with notches was all in complete random order like not aligned not staggered do these matter how they go back in? Like should they be aligned?

Got one there pretty shit in terms of details they seem to leave a lot of important facts out such as it states add the clutch plates staggered but doesn’t mention if it’s the same pack to keep them order.