Zapdos

Making Solutions Easier To Find

Question

Posted (edited)

This post is for moderators/devs only. 

I've been on TT for about a month now and  I love how active the community is. I'm involved in both asking for help, giving help, and general conversation. The reason I'm posting today is because of how active the community is.. there is a lot of content on TT, and when I'm looking for solutions, (outside of a personal forum post), it can get quite overwhelming. 

I think to make this more efficient, a "best answer", or "solution" button is needed. Which the original poster can use to pin the comment that solved his issue. That way, when we're looking for help we can go straight to the 'best answer', and then afterwards spend hours going through all the many other pages filled with suggestions. It would just save time imo.

I can think back to one of my own posts that has 4 or 5 pages.. and it turns out it was as simple as me having the floats upside down. If I could go back and pin the one guys comment recommending i check the floats - that could save someone else a bunch of reading time.

Just a suggestion :)

thanks

Edited by Zapdos
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

Thank you for that suggestion. We've considered and even tried using the "best answer" system several times in the past. In fact, this suggestion forum is using a best answer voting system where anyone can vote on the answers (also in bug report forum). 

Prior to this open voting version, we had a best answer where only the topic starter could choose the answer that solved the problem. What we found was no one ever used it so no answers were ever marked as the best answer.  

Then we have a partial test of the open voting system you see in this suggestion forum and not one single vote has been cast in over a year of this forum being here. 

As a developer, I get it. I use the feature heavily on sites like stack exchange, but I've not figured out how to get dirt bike guys to use a best answer feature in the way that web devs use it. 

Our site is fully able to support the feature, we just can't figure out how to get people to actually use it whenever we've tried to enable it. And now in the world of small screen mobile devices there isn't much room on the page to explain why members should use it. If we could come up with a viable way to get people to use the system we'd love to enable it globally. But will I've a million topics, how to get people to start voting up the best answers escapes us. If you have any thoughts on how we might get people to understand and use the feature we would absolutely consider it.

I personally believe part of the problem is when you have a like button and a vote button, users click the like and ignore the vote.  Maybe if the like option was removed and the only option was votes it might get more use, but would the majority of users want to give up the like button in favor of a vote? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those are some great points and I can see that you've already put your fair share of thought into this. What is the average age demographic for TT? 

I understand why you would consider a public voting system  (since topic starters weren't assigning it  themselves), but there may be another way around it. See, with public voting, people can choose the best answer; but it's not necessarily the answer that solved the problem. I think that the better route is reminding users to assign a best answer - through notifications. Maybe send them one every few days or every week. For example: "Hey, TT here. Just reminding you to assign a best answer on "x" thread!". Sometimes people need to be told what to do, lol. Partner that solution with this next one: if they go to start a new thread you could force some sort of alert menu, (or redirect), saying "Hey! You still haven't assigned a best answer on "x" thread, 'click here' to vote best answer (sending them to the specified thread), or 'click here' if your problem still hasn't been resolved". If their issue hasn't been resolved, redirect them to "create a new post" and allow them to continue. Of course that wont solve the issue of people joining TT, posting once and never returning (or making another account), but it would force a lot more activity on a great feature which would enhance the websites overall usefulness. :cool:

Your solution of minimizing choice by removing the like button would definitely work - but we both know how much people want their like buttons these days :goofy:

Edited by Zapdos
  • Like 1

Thank you for taking the time for such a thoughtful suggestion.  We're working on some backed updates at the moment that actually matches up well with your notification idea. I'll have to give this another look with that in mind.

Awesome, good luck. thanks for listening!