front brake issue

OK, went for the first ride this year, it was great, just a little windy though.  My bike is a Kawa KLX.
My front brake was terrible. There was some liquid on the floor by the front wheel in the garage. I thought it was the front seal, but now I don't know.
I noticed that my lever doesn't have much free play in it, it starts tightening up from the off position. I don't like that, then I was thinking that oil may be getting on the disk/pads so in the middle of the ride in Camp Verde I went to the car wash and wash the brakes really good and hosed of the rest of the bike. After that they seemed to work a little better at stopping the bike. I went down the biggest hill in the valley, I don't know if I have ever made it up, but anyway....
While at the car wash i bled the front brakes to try and get some free play in that lever.... I did it twice and it didn't help much.

How do you get the free play in the lever?
I want to figure that out first before I get new pads & etc. Do you think the cylinder / piston is sticking or needs to be rebuilt or replaced? I don't know what to do!

Oh and another thing I noticed when I got home was the right foot peg is bent pointing about 1" to the rear. Can I remove it and use a vice and hammer to straighten or will it snap? 

Thks.

The liquid on the floor was likely fork fluid and it has dripped down the fork leg and polluted the brakes.  

As fork fluid is an oil, flushing it with water would have no effect.  The only way to clean brakes is this new fangled thing called "Brake Cleaner".