Finally pulled the trigger on the new bike

And it's not a Beta! Though I do wish it was. It really came down to being able to get my suspension tuned locally as well as not having to install a kick start. 

I'm also liking the idea of no linkage for all the brutal rocks I ride in. 

I actually still like just about everything about Beta, most notably the engine is of a far superior engineering and design. 

It was really splitting hairs between the two both are excellent.

Both suspensions needs work though lmao, they're no gas gas or Yamaha (kayaba) suspension. In fact I would probably say from the factory  betas Sachs suspension is currently better than ktms xplor suspension, it's pretty &%$#@!ing terrible tbh lmao.

Oh and in case you were wondering the clickers literally do nothing on the xplor suspension. It's a 3% change in dampening from all the way open to all the way closed. 

But ether way beta or ktm the suspension needs fixed so it's not really a factor. 

We'll see how I like this '18 xcw, hopefully beta will put a kicker back on and keep working on the suspension I'd still like to buy one for next bike. 

IMG_20180413_184736_670.jpg

" Finally pulled the trigger on the bike'

Exactly what you should do to a KTM. Shoot it in the head.

keep an eye on the shock.  My brother is on his second rebuild in less than a dozen rides.  Keeps leaking out the seal.  It's being covered but still it'a a hassle.   Heard of similar issues from others.  Ktm's qc has really gone down lately.

Edited by moto367

Congrats on the new bike. You may not have to rework that suspension. The xplor forks are pretty good out of the box. The only thing I would do right away is put a top out/stink bug killer on the shock. 

sweetbike man, please do a compare and contrastbetween your old beta and your new katoomer.

I'm almost in the market for a new 300, and so far I'm partial to the beta, but open to the husky and maybe even a kato.

I finally had a little trouble with my kickerless beta. My battery cable fell off, but it still started and didnt leave me stranded out in the boonies. I didnt check it till after I got home but I had hanging idle and hard starting while it was off. A couple new bolts and its all good.

Nice congrats on the new ride and they do ride well. 

MM 

Did you just say betas engine is superior to the kato? :|

That's common knowledge.

Sweet bike!

17 hours ago, gr4vitas said:

And it's not a Beta! Though I do wish it was. It really came down to being able to get my suspension tuned locally as well as not having to install a kick start. 

I'm also liking the idea of no linkage for all the brutal rocks I ride in. 

I actually still like just about everything about Beta, most notably the engine is of a far superior engineering and design. 

It was really splitting hairs between the two both are excellent.

Both suspensions needs work though lmao, they're no gas gas or Yamaha (kayaba) suspension. In fact I would probably say from the factory  betas Sachs suspension is currently better than ktms xplor suspension, it's pretty &%$#@!ing terrible tbh lmao.

Oh and in case you were wondering the clickers literally do nothing on the xplor suspension. It's a 3% change in dampening from all the way open to all the way closed. 

But ether way beta or ktm the suspension needs fixed so it's not really a factor. 

We'll see how I like this '18 xcw, hopefully beta will put a kicker back on and keep working on the suspension I'd still like to buy one for next bike. 

IMG_20180413_184736_670.jpg

Very nice, enjoy yourself!

9 hours ago, motocrotts said:
11 hours ago, Scottwr12345 said:

That's common knowledge.

Hahahaha good one.

:thumbsup: VERY nice looking bike , enjoy and be safe....

11 hours ago, motocrotts said:
13 hours ago, Scottwr12345 said:

That's common knowledge.

I rode BAHA's beta 300 and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't bad but better than the KTM? NO WAY. 

Congrats to the OP on the new bike though. Any new bikr is great.   Well almost any new bike 

Edited by KTMRider4Life
1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Well almost any new bike 

Provided it's made in Austria! :worthy:

I rode BAHA's beta 300 and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't bad but better than the KTM? NO WAY. 

Congrats to the OP on the new bike though. Any new bikr is great.   Well almost any new bike 
Who cares what you think? You obviously have such a tight lip lock on austria's right axle nut you're barely aware other bikes exist.

Well , a new bike is always a new bike , good for you this is not a chinese one or a TM , or a tpi , so .... congratulations ! 

Good luck and enjoy

A good rule to follow is NEVER bad mouth your brand new bike if you want it to take good care of you.  "Well, she's not Brittney but I do wish she was" or "I actually still like just about everything about her, most notably the engine (personality) is of a far superior engineering and design (body)".   If you said this in front of your girlfriend about your "dream girl" you're going to get nothing but a world of problems.  Same goes for your new motorcycle. I don't mean this as a bullying post, I'm just saying.

Congrats man. I hope you enjoy the new ride. Make sure to cut a notch in the slide and lower the floats on the carb or else you will get 30 miles on a tank. I ride with a bunch of KTM guys and they are constantly whining about something on those bikes. 

First question, has the suspension been worn in yet? Service manual states run in the suspension before adjusting anything other than sag. Second question, Are you in the recommended weight category for the new KTM's suspension? Ultimately any new bike may need suspension adjustments via spring rate changes depending on your weight and riding style. To expect pro level suspension and to your taste out of the box would be lucky regardless of who made the bike. 

I used to despise KTM after myself and a mate had a few handling issues and costly engine repairs (on older models to be fair). I bought a 30 hour KTM 200xcw 6 speed (with a softer spring rate than i should be using) and i absolutely love this machine to bits. I couldn't fault the handling for what i ride, cross country & novis mx tracks. It has an FMF pipe and chamber and lifts the wheel in third gear like my old cr250 power but way smoother. 

Buying a new bike to me is asking for hours of suspension adjustment and tinkering. Test riding someones bike thats near new and buying what feels great saved me money & time. Ex-KTM hater. Now I love them. I like Beta also but dealer support is limited here as is after market parts so i would never buy one. My mate just bought a brand spanking new YZ450. He hates the suspension & is spending a large chunk of money to get it right. Thats the norm for most guys on any model really.     

Edited by surfez