XR650r headlight upgrade!

Hey guys, so the standard xr 650r headlight is garbage, it barely shines at all and ill be doing some night street riding, so whats the best option for a headlight and headlight plastics out there on the market, that still looks good. Also, any other good upgrades for an xr650r being set up for dual sport riding would be awesome ? thanks ! also can someone tell me if the trailtech 8" race light is road legal (has high low beam or can be added) cheers

TT 8" race light is nowhere near street legal. It is single beam and uses a Hella Rallye 4000 lens. I have run it on the road, but it really ticks the cagers off.

Currently, I have fit a Rigid 4" E-series driving beam with a Skene dimmer into the stock headlight shell. Obviously not as much light as the 8" but it is better than the glass "upgrade" lens with a Cyclops bulb in it. Unfortunately for me, my Cyclops bulb didn't make it much past a year before the fan quit and it smoked itself. Cyclops LED bulb is really bright when people are looking at you (being seen), but it doesn't have a great beam pattern for when you are trying to use it to see the road in the dark IMO.

0217171828.jpg

TT 8" race light is nowhere near street legal. It is single beam and uses a Hella Rallye 4000 lens. I have run it on the road, but it really ticks the cagers off.
Currently, I have fit a Rigid 4" E-series driving beam with a Skene dimmer into the stock headlight shell. Obviously not as much light as the 8" but it is better than the glass "upgrade" lens with a Cyclops bulb in it. Unfortunately for me, my Cyclops bulb didn't make it much past a year before the fan quit and it smoked itself. Cyclops LED bulb is really bright when people are looking at you (being seen), but it doesn't have a great beam pattern for when you are trying to use it to see the road in the dark IMO.
0217171828.jpg.a7ae3639978b569a2f643f71976e01af.jpg
Are those DOT legal eastreich? I got some Rigids on a street bike and got the ones marked DOT/SAE on the lens and they were $100 more.
But they're awesome that's for sure!
And is it wired from a stock stator? That Cyclops on my xr6 has a Ricky now but ran off of stock stator before no problems.
But I suppose different Rigids have different draw.

@notoriousE-R-I-C I'm NOT running one of the DOT Rigid lights, but I also live in Montana where the rules are a little (okay, a lot) loose.

I've been running a Baja Designs 125x2 rewind for years, and converted it to full DC not long after to run HID. An XR could probably run a Rigid like mine with rectified stock output. My light is right around 50W draw, but is an older model. Rigid has upped their wattage across the board on almost all of their lights.

At some point this summer I will get around to getting all of my lights in one place at shoot some pictures so everyone can see what does what in the dark. I've spent way too much money on lights and thus have a number of different Rigids, 8" HID, and two different lights (one XRR, one KTM) with Cyclops LED bulbs shoved in them.  I have a few different helmet light setups too...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluechain said:

There was a post on here about a led assembly to fit the stock housing on a dr650 Suzuki from JNS Enginering for around $115.00 but I don't know how it works,should fit the housing.:thumbsup:

Should fit the housing on an L, but that's be a big fat nope on the R...

Doesn't mean someone can't run an L housing with one of the DOT legal LED assemblies that are out there on an R if a little fabrication didn't scare them.

• Like 1

[mention=345699]notoriousE-R-I-C[/mention] I'm NOT running one of the DOT Rigid lights, but I also live in Montana where the rules are a little (okay, a lot) loose.
I've been running a Baja Designs 125x2 rewind for years, and converted it to full DC not long after to run HID. An XR could probably run a Rigid like mine with rectified stock output. My light is right around 50W draw, but is an older model. Rigid has upped their wattage across the board on almost all of their lights.
At some point this summer I will get around to getting all of my lights in one place at shoot some pictures so everyone can see what does what in the dark. I've spent way too much money on lights and thus have a number of different Rigids, 8" HID, and two different lights (one XRR, one KTM) with Cyclops LED bulbs shoved in them.  I have a few different helmet light setups too...
Please do.... Mine is driving me nuts, I can't decide what to do. Lol

I’m running the Baja designs dual 8” halogen/HID setup. Rules aren’t that loose in CT, but I never get a second look from the cops. Halogen is low beam and HID is high. Adjustment knobs make raising and lowering the beams a simple chore. It’s not a look for everyone but they are a fantastic set of lights. 

498C9DE4-F3A4-46E6-91B5-F8E8A3E78A18.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm running with the Baja design LEDs. 4400 lumens on high, I can adjust output for hi and low beams with the modulator. Probably only 25% on low beam. Not dot, but it looks stock and it works great.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2018 at 5:11 AM, Adamthomas said:

I’m running the Baja designs dual 8” halogen/HID setup. Rules aren’t that loose in CT, but I never get a second look from the cops. Halogen is low beam and HID is high. Adjustment knobs make raising and lowering the beams a simple chore. It’s not a look for everyone but they are a fantastic set of lights. 

498C9DE4-F3A4-46E6-91B5-F8E8A3E78A18.jpeg

Can you please tell me what was needed to make this work on my stock XRR. I just bought a single Sol Tek and i cant find any information. BD says they DO NOT sale or support them anymore. 

Edited by Wayoffroad
missing words

31 minutes ago, Idiocrocy said:

I have the same one,how'd you get ahold of that?

My service manager from my dealership days ran the 24 hours of Perry Mountain every year. They spent so much on lights and stators. They ran YZ250's back then. Required external stators. If i had 55w halogen i would be good, but this one appears to be HID so i need MO power. I bought one and might buy his other. Every other picture you see has these bolted up to a XRR, but trying to buy everything at once seems to be difficult. I can piece everything but i wanna install and ride without trial and error. 

Sol TEk.jpg

You sir will need to get your stator rewound, and a regulator/rectifier. I used Baja Designs I believe for the rewind, and for the regulator as well.  You will get back a stator with two 125 watt outputs. I use one output for the HID, fan, directionals and trail tech gauge, and the other side for the Halogen Sol Tek light. It’s redundant so I never get stuck with no headlight. Baja designs has good instructions for the total installation under tech info/Honda tech supports on their site.  Ask here if you need more info.  

Edited by Adamthomas
  • Helpful 2