EBC supermoto SMX6017 kit for DRZ 400S with E forks and SM wheels.

Hi guys!

I ride a Suzuki Drz 400S, 2001, but it has Drz E forks from 2003, and DrzSM wheels. I recently bought a luggage rack and I am thinking of upgrading my front brake disk to get more stopping power. I have done some research online and read quite a few posts on TT in regards to upgrading to a 320 mm brake disk using a caliper relocation bracket.  

EBC have a motard kit ,SMX 6017, and I have been in contact with an EBC supplier here in Norway, where I live ;), but he told me that their «I know guy» said it would fit my model-s, but not with the E forks I am using. It is my understanding that the S and E models have the same caliper and same caliper cast on the front forks (making them sort of identical, simply put, in my newbie mind). I have also read that you can swap the wheels between the different models- S/E/SM as long as you have a caliper relocation bracket. Dennis Kirk and motostrano sells this kit, for the S and E models. Sent an e-mail to motostano in regards to fitment but they have not been in contact.

What to do? I know that I have other options, but buying the kit here in Norway will save me time, shipping costs (which is on the verge of retardness) and import taxes. Are the companies playing it safe, should I just ignore EBC`s main man and order them?

I feel like an ass when writing this, as I realize it is you guys I should have come to first.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thank you 38super. Yes, i know they have, the problem is that the guy I've been in contact with, say they will not fit my E model forks. Seems like many people have had problems,  at least in the past, to find the correct EBC brake caliper bracket. Not sure what to do, might go with the Braking 320 mm upgrade. It seems to be less problems with this upgrade.

Yes, I dont undrestand why they said it would fit if I was using my S forks. Dont know if this is a "common" problem, suppliers not knowing what will fit? Maybe it is because I have SM wheels? 

44 minutes ago, srm73 said:

Yes, I dont undrestand why they said it would fit if I was using my S forks. Dont know if this is a "common" problem, suppliers not knowing what will fit? Maybe it is because I have SM wheels? 

SM wheels doesn't matter, either. I had an EBC 320mm kit on my S with SM wheels.

• Like 1

I can live with that. You would'nt happen to remember the part number? The guy I've been in contact with gave me an other number compared to the one I found in EBC's parts catalog. 

4 minutes ago, srm73 said:

I can live with that. You would'nt happen to remember the part number? The guy I've been in contact with gave me an other number compared to the one I found in EBC's parts catalog. 

Sorry, but I don't. Its been many years since I bought it. Here's a picture of it, if it helps. This is a factory wheel, I powdercoated the hubs.

P1010156.JPG

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, srm73 said:

Thank you ptgarcia! Good idea to powdercoat the hubs, very cool? Have you used the picture in a earlier post regarding this upgrade? Seems familiar. 

I'm sure I did, but it would have been many years ago. I built those wheels in 2009, and I think I sold them 2 or 3 years later. 

EBay was one of the hits from your Google link that i tried..but the thumpertalk link confirmed formelt for both S and E? I guess the guy I have been in contact with here in Norway made a mistake in regards to fitment. Think i might just go ahead and order them. Thanks again.