My 2018 KTM 150SX build

Going with a black sprocket. Had a Renthal orange off eBay but the color did not match the SMPro hubs shade or darker orange. Going with titanium sprocket bolts that I already had new from a CR build that didn't get used.  FYI, sprocket bolts are interchangeable between the KTMs and Honda CRFs/CR

IMG_9650.JPG

Beautiful bike. I hope you get to ring it out soon. The only trick part I have on mine is the Lectron carb...Amazing.  I'm in the process of finally getting my suspension revalved for my big ass at 230#, repacking my bearings, and putting a fresh top end.  These things are a total blast and I'm pretty sure I'm faster on this than I was on my 450. 

20181006_154238.jpg

20181006_154251.jpg

You get to ride with the FMF 2.1 silencer yet?  I had one on my 2016 150SX along with the Fatty, and just swapped it out for the PC and PC shorty combo.  I think for MX the PC combo is better.  Feels more crisp and better throttle response.  thats not say the FMF set-up was bad.  On the contrary, I think if you can carry momentum and are riding a fast sweeping outdoor track the FMF set-up could be an advantage.  I don't have that kind of skill so I like the crispness and power-now of the PC set-up.  

Finally got a chance to go ride today. Started to load everything up and then came the pouring rain. FML. Hopefully Saturday I'll get to go. Instead I installed my Ride Eng link and Hinson cover. Have not rode with the 2.1. Just started it up in the driveway. Haven't rode with the new 2.1 silencer, or the new Vforce4.

IMG_9667.JPG

Pipe-wise, My experience on the track and on the dyno for an '18 150 SX is that the FMF fatty/Shorty combo was the best overall.  The FMF fatty/2.1 actually lost a tad of over-rev but gained a little more bottom (yes, seems backwards, but the dyno and my butt-dyno agreed).  The PC pipe/ R304 lost everywhere except after peak where it rev'd alot further, but peak HP was down over a horse and torque was down as well.  The stock pipe/R304 combo was very good but not as good as the Fatty/shorty combo.  Jetting was optimized for each combo and I stuck with the FMF factory fatty/shorty combo.  I do have VF4 reeds and a Keihin carb on mine so results may vary.  

5 hours ago, dshissam said:

Pipe-wise, My experience on the track and on the dyno for an '18 150 SX is that the FMF fatty/Shorty combo was the best overall.  The FMF fatty/2.1 actually lost a tad of over-rev but gained a little more bottom (yes, seems backwards, but the dyno and my butt-dyno agreed).  The PC pipe/ R304 lost everywhere except after peak where it rev'd alot further, but peak HP was down over a horse and torque was down as well.  The stock pipe/R304 combo was very good but not as good as the Fatty/shorty combo.  Jetting was optimized for each combo and I stuck with the FMF factory fatty/shorty combo.  I do have VF4 reeds and a Keihin carb on mine so results may vary.  

I've heard the same thing from another source about the FMF shorty vs fmf 2.1. I mainly got the 2.1 because it was a great deal and the "bling" factor.  going to try them both out at the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to ride the other day and man forgot just how much fun this bike is! Only jetting change I made was 1/4 turn in on the air screw due to the temp down here starting to cool off a bit and also in part due to the new Vforce. Switched back forth between the 2.1 silencer and standard shorty a bit. It seems like the 2.1 let the bike rev out just a bit further, while the standard shorty cut off. That's really the only difference I could tell and even then really just splitting hairs. Just mounted up the new Dunlop MX33's the other day to the SMPro wheels. Hopefully will get them on the bike in a day or 2 and have a chance to ride. This bike really is my favorite bike of all time!

Edited by macz400
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, WrathMXer said:

My first mod aside from the shock spring. Lectron carb and vforce 4 reeds.  I suck at jetting (or I'm lazy with testing). 

20180517_160007.jpg

Did you have to order the larger airbox boot for the lectron? Lectron carb with vforce reeds are next on my list of things to do to my '18 SX150.

That's unusual but I'm not saying it's not possible ,another user was selling his from a 150 due to flat power ,most people report smooth flat power with them

James Dean did a huge test on carbs with the 300 ,when setup well not one made a big change in power over another

31 minutes ago, mog said:

That's unusual but I'm not saying it's not possible ,another user was selling his from a 150 due to flat power ,most people report smooth flat power with them

James Dean did a huge test on carbs with the 300 ,when setup well not one made a big change in power over another

Yeah, you can't beat a perfectly jetted carb regardless of brand.  I just suck at jetting plus I ride all sorts of altitudes. It's been working great for me.

• Like 1

With the Keihen carb and Vforce 4 reeds, you can follow the '16 jetting specs exactly in the '16 150sx and jetting is very good. I mix my fuel per the 40:1 recommendation and the jetting is spot on. The Mikuni...not so much on the '18. The '17 125/150was a dumpster fire jetting-wise. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 4:26 PM, macz400 said:

First issue to tackle while everything is stock is the jetting. I put in the recommended jets per KTM manual and it was pretty spot on. It said to run needle in 3rd clip, 32.5 pilot, 470 main, and 2 turns out on the air screw. This ran great except I am running VP T2 fuel which is oxygenated. I've heard in the past to jet a little richer if you are running oxygenated fuel. I went up 1 main to a 480 and dialed the air screw back 1/4 turn. This seemed to let the bike pull a little further than the 470 main. I bought a JD jetting kit thinking I would end up using it because they have worked wonders in my CR's. Not the case with this bike! I put it all in to their reccomended settings and the bike ran like crap. Sputtered, backfired, you name it, it was terrible. It revved excellent on the stand though. Not sure what was going on. Pulled back in and put my stock KTM jets and needle back in and was back in buissness, ran great. Next I wanted to try my FMF shorty I bought. Made the bike rev out quick and added quite a bit of snap and excitement to it. Made it feel like my 125 again, which I loved. Eventually I'm going to get a FMF factory fatty to match up to it.

That's funny I have a 15 150sx did jd jet kit after putting r304 shorty ND I got same results bike ran like garbage with it went back to stock worked fine just kind of sounded like an old 125