Moab accident Friday 4/13

Anybody know details about the fatality Friday afternoon?

We were loading up at the Moab Rim trailhead at 1:30, when many EMS vehicles went roaring by. KSL webpage in SLC has a blurb about a young motorcyclist passing from severe injuries on the Kane Creek trail. Makes me sick.

I was wondering if he was wearing any safety gear. Although there is a really fun section on Kane Creek where you're blasting through the tall bushes and there are several different routes that cross over a lot, easy to get side swiped or have a head on collision.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Muffintop said:

I was wondering if he was wearing any safety gear. Although there is a really fun section on Kane Creek where you're blasting through the tall bushes and there are several different routes that cross over a lot, easy to get side swiped or have a head on collision.

Article said he was hauling ass on a dirt road and missed a turn.  Wonder what really happened.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Article said he was hauling ass on a dirt road and missed a turn.  Wonder what really happened.

It says that he slid through rocks, very likely tossed around like a rag doll at that kind of speed, bouncing from baby head to baby head, to boulders ect.  Says he was alive all the way to the hospital, but the injuries got the best of him.  That sucks!  You look anywhere off the side of the trail on Kane Creek, and it is rocks and ledges everywhere.  Got to respect the area that you are riding.  Even when you think you in total control, there is always something lurking, especially in an area like that, which has the potential to ruin your day.  In this case, take your life!

• Like 2

The lower section is really open and fast hardpack with some surprise rock sections, rocks all around. My guess is that is where the accident happened as I've had a couple of close calls there myself. Anywhere up the creek from there is generally sand and brush with some trees and small river rock where head-on collisions seem to present the greatest danger. I usually ride that road pretty fast as it is a long loop and, frankly, a fun fast road. Fun to race through with the trail separating and converging, blasting through the creek. I prefer to ride up it in the morning to try and minimize traffic.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of this accident. As a father of riders I can only imagine the sadness his family feels from this tragedy. I hope his father can find peace. 

• Like 4

I was thinking further about this last night.  He was with a group of 20 riders.  They were going 40-50 mph.  He was probably in a cloud of dust and simply didn't see the turn.  The takeaway from this tragedy is to slow down when you can't see.

• Like 4

On 4/18/2018 at 1:52 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Turns out this was the second kid killed in UT on a dirt bike this month. Pretty sad.

Central Valley man dies in Motocross event in Delta

Damn, I am guessing springs brings the most injuries with people coming out of hibernation. We are at the NH&H just 30 miles north of Delta right now.  Last time I was here we had minor run in with a utv and later I dislocated my shoulder 10 minutes in to a trail ride.

Makes me nervous because we a 14yo racing 250 expert, and 11yo on minis.  The 14 yo is damned fast, but I worry that he is trying to (and succeeding) to out pace guys in their prime.

• Like 1

I was in Moab last Spring, going back in May this year. Last year I ruptured my Achilles on Where Eagles Dare. My accident was a case of being lulled into a false sense of security. Riding Moab is "easy" until it isn't. The ground isn't very forgiving when something goes wrong. Another place that has accidents of severe nature due to the carnival atmosphere is Dunes places, such as Oregon. 

Last year in Moab, I noticed that there are usually these big groups of guys together from 6-12. Usually one of them is in a cast of some sort. 

Riding in groups can bring the worst out of people in behavior and rider safety. 

• Like 2