motf

were there any good overweight riders?

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

just wonder, because from what  I see pro riders are kinda jockey body build type,

rather short and slim. I'm curious was there any big and fat pro good mx or enduro rider?

:)

Edited by motf
3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Doubt it, weight and cardio doesn't mix well. :(

usually yes, but look at this guy :)

5 people like this

I suppose it matters what you would consider big. In the dirtbike world if you are over 6' and 170 lbs then you are some type of giant or something.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, motf said:

usually yes, but look at this guy :)

A round in MMA is like what? A few minutes. Now try to do that for 20+ mins and you'll see how he would do ;).

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, gscx said:

I suppose it matters what you would consider big. In the dirtbike world if you are over 6' and 170 lbs then you are some type of giant or something.

so Dave Knight is a big giant I guess then :)  but not fat though.

2 people like this

Sadly for us big guys, the fundamental rule of physics is F = M * A

force equals mass times acceleration. Or solving for A, you get A = F / M

In nearly all racing classes, all the bikes have about the same power (aka F) so what you have is as your M goes up, the A has to go down. Add 50% more mass and the acceleration has to go down 33%. 

So in any motorcycle racing event, the ideal racer is about 150 lbs, skinny, but with muscles. I was 6' 2" when I was 150lbs, but that was because I was skinny as a rail, with zero muscles

4 people like this

14 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Sadly for us big guys, the fundamental rule of physics is F = M * A

force equals mass times acceleration. Or solving for A, you get A = F / M

In nearly all racing classes, all the bikes have about the same power (aka F) so what you have is as your M goes up, the A has to go down. Add 50% more mass and the acceleration has to go down 33%. 

So in any motorcycle racing event, the ideal racer is about 150 lbs, skinny, but with muscles. I was 6' 2" when I was 150lbs, but that was because I was skinny as a rail, with zero muscles

You forget that extra massa equals more friction so the fatter guy can use more throttle ;). But yeah low weight wins for sure.

2 people like this

I remember seeing Joel Robert's belly bouncing when landing from jumps in Trans Am races. He was past his prime then but still faster than any of the Americans.

2 people like this

Jo Jo keller 👍👍 seen him at a LL qaulifier at unadila bout 10 years ago . Probably close to 280lbs Atleast  and getting it. not even kidding 

4 people like this

I've seen a couple fatties that could rip on dirt bikes but never seen it in pros. Heart rate at 190bpm for 20+ min will make anyone lose weight.. No matter how bad their diet is.

2 people like this

Jaak Van Velthoven and Hans Maisch were both around 6'5''.

1 person likes this

Harry Klinzman was a top privateer road racer in the late 70s, he was really tall, 6-4 or so, trim, but easily over 200 lbs just because he was so big. He raced against Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer and Eddie Lawson, all of them were 5-5 and 150 or so.

1 person likes this

Bobby Bonds in WORCS back in the day was chubby guy... 

Matthew Phillips in World GP was chubby... 

Stew Baylor in GNCC is chubby... 

14big1_-736.jpg

matthew-phillips-alla-elmec-615580.jpg

Steward-Baylor-Lead-Belt-Enduro.jpg

1 person likes this

You're either fast or you're not , being svelte won't make everyone a winner.

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, 07KTM250 said:

I've seen a couple fatties that could rip on dirt bikes but never seen it in pros. Heart rate at 190bpm for 20+ min will make anyone lose weight.. No matter how bad their diet is.

:lol::lol::lol:  Marty Tripes and JJ Keller are just a couple laughing at you. And both were at their best when motos were at forty and then thirty minutes at the highest level. Do your homework young man.

2 people like this

Although there are examples of bigger guys, I think it's pretty safe to say that being leaner is definitely an advantage. Power to weight advantage aside, I can't help but think that a lower rider weight is probably easier to tune suspension for and a lighter bike/rider combo will just handle better. 

I'm a fairly lean 6'1" 190lbs and I really don't see how my added muscle mass is any advantage from when I weighed 165lbs. I rarely have to "muscle" the bike around...I aim to be smooth and fluid on the bike.

Marty Tripes and JJ Keller are just a couple laughing at you. And both were at their best when motos were at forty and then thirty minutes at the highest level. Do your homework young man.
When we're Marty or JJ fatties during their prime.. They might've been big but definitely not fatties.. Don't know what your standard are for fatties but I'd probably qualify at 5'9 180lbs
3 people like this