Sign in to follow this  

yz85 problems

I bought a 2002 yz85 about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it just isnt running right. Firstly, it never starts without choke, NEVER, my friend has a yz aswell and it starts 1 kick no choke or anything so I know something must be wrong with mine. Once you put the choke on itll start in about 2 kicks. Once its started, it does not idle by itself until it is warmed up good. And it also takes forever to warm up if it is not warmed up it bogs down alot. Once it is atleast a little warmed up you can start to ride it but it bogs alot while driving. But I am confused on whether this is running too rich or too lean, or if this could just be old gas. If it was rich it would start alot easier, but if it was lean I know the engine would get alot hotter quicker rather than taking forever. What could be causing any of this? could it be just old/bad mix gas, a clogged up carb, weak spark, or something with jetting, or could it just be not warmed up good enough? This is my first two stroke bike so I dont know what could be causing this. It also bogs alot while driving.

First thing, pull carb, check jet sizes, and buy new ones with anything else (seals/gaskets) that look bad, and rebuild it, or just buy a kit.

Second, get rid of the old gas mix.

Put the rebuilt carb on, new spark plug, fresh gas/mix, and then tell us what your bike is doing. 

Running on choke is a poor/plugged pilot circuit.  

As above, check the pilot circuit. Sounds like you are running a bit lean. Old fuel won't help either