Chromefonica

RMZ 450 Header Glowing

18 posts in this topic

I have a 2008 RMZ 450. I am having an issue with the bike heating up really fast to the point where the header is glowing and the bike bogs down. Is it heating up so bad that the piston is swelling and sticking? Anybody have an idea of what might cause this problem?

You need to be moving on the bike so air can flow thru the rads

1 person likes this

X2 but also need to rejet and make it richer

Heat.....caused by a lean condition. 

That's what I'm thinking.

I was bangin through gears down the street. Had plenty of air

42 minutes ago, Chromefonica said:

I was bangin through gears down the street. Had plenty of air

So you looked down while you were banging thru the gears and it was glowing red ?

So you looked down while you were banging thru the gears and it was glowing red ?

Yep. Red and running like the fuel was being cut with some popping. I don't have any experience with fuel injection. That's why I'm asking on here. Almost seems like the timing is advanced too.

Try to take the valve cover off and just inspect the timing. They have a great video on YouTube about this. And I’m pretty sure the 2008 rmz’s are not fuel injected so you need to rejet your carb

I'd be checking your FI system and making sure it's in good condition.  You could have a clogged injector, or a fuel pump that isn't putting out enough volume, or possibly (like my 09) have to replace the fuel line under the tank because it's starting to pinch itself flat.

You're definitely lean if that header is glowing.

Are there any mods on your bike done to the airbox or throttle body?  When was the last time you cleaned the filter?  Your ambient temp sensor on the intake track could be defective causing the fuel ratios to be out.

Edited by zibbit u2
2 people like this

Try to take the valve cover off and just inspect the timing. They have a great video on YouTube about this. And I’m pretty sure the 2008 rmz’s are not fuel injected so you need to rejet your carb

2008 was the first year for fuel injection the the RMZ.

I'd be checking your FI system and making sure it's in good condition.  You could have a clogged injector, or a fuel pump that isn't putting out enough volume, or possibly (like my 09) have to replace the fuel line under the tank because it's starting to pinch itself flat.
You're definitely lean if that header is glowing.
Are there any mods on your bike done to the airbox or throttle body?  When was the last time you cleaned the filter?  Your ambient temp sensor on the intake track could be defective causing the fuel ratios to be out.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I just bought the bike as a fixer upper for myself. So far all I've found performance-wise is a Dobeck EJK controller. First thing I'm going to do is disconnect that and see what that does. I'll post a video here tomorrow.

Here's a video of what it's doing. Right at the beginning running fine. Then go to 40 sec mark and compare the sound. This is still at WOT.

Here's a video of what it's doing. Right at the beginning running fine. Then go to 40 sec mark and compare the sound. This is still at WOT.

That sounds horrible dude. I’m very interested in seeing what the problem is. I wish I could help

WOW.. that does sound HORRIBLE..  Is that video with the fuel controller disconnected?

If it is, have you tested anything on the bike with a multimeter to compare cold vs hot (acting up)?  I can remember my old 84 "cease-fire" Corvette doing the same thing when the fuel pump was failing.. 

Definitely keep up with this thread.. right up until you/we as a group can find a solution.

WOW.. that does sound HORRIBLE..  Is that video with the fuel controller disconnected?
If it is, have you tested anything on the bike with a multimeter to compare cold vs hot (acting up)?  I can remember my old 84 "cease-fire" Corvette doing the same thing when the fuel pump was failing.. 
Definitely keep up with this thread.. right up until you/we as a group can find a solution.

That is with the EJK still connected. My next step is to disconnect it and make a test run.