• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

JUST IN!   04/24/2018

HOW TO: 4-STROKE PISTON REPLACEMENT DONE RIGHT!
H20ENG

Repacking 4T muffler?

24 posts in this topic

I'm at 82 hrs and 1900mi. Hoping once it burns in it may quiet down some. I'll update after I get to ride it beyond the neighborhood. 

I've always thought the same- why can't they design these with chambers instead of packing. I'm sure its weight and overall performance. I read a cool article once about computer generated muffler design. It looked at the engine and exhaust system as a whole and generated a muffler baffle placement designed to cancel frequencies of the exhaust. Cool, but NASA level shit and many years away.

It has to be the limit of what they can do with size and weight, it has to be.  

If I ride sanely on the streets, the sound is not bad at all.  It is only when getting on it that the 478cc's will bark, same with the the trails/forest.  

I'll bet that if all the packing were gone, like you mentioned, it probably makes no difference at all, at least none that we can hear.  

I had a CR500R that I'd pack after about every ride as it had a big space around the tube and i was just using yellow house insulation to wrap around the core and after one ride it would be about 70% blown out and the bike would be louder and not run as good by the end of the day.  I was single, had the time and loved to tinker with the bike after every ride.  I only had one, maybe two sheet metal screws holding on the Pro Circuit end cap/tube on the can.  

My loudest bike ever was a 1978 RM125. Repacked that several times. The whole thing was held together with a big snap ring. I wish the Beta muffler used bolts but probably won't do this again anyway. 

I'm not going to bother at all.  

My BIL has a Yoshimura pipe on his Honda 450X and it is loud as the muffler is already short and I very much doubt that repacking it would make it quieter.  I think the only way to get more quiet is a larger muffler with all the associated baffling which would just mean more weight.