Xr200 fork spring options?

Im setting up 1986 suspension on an xr200.I have used progressive springs on my other 200.Does anyone else offer springs for the 200?Hoping to try straight rate.Are there any springs that work on the rear shock that are a bit stiffer?Thankyou

Im setting up 1986 suspension on an xr200.I have used progressive springs on my other 200.Does anyone else offer springs for the 200?Hoping to try straight rate.Are there any springs that work on the rear shock that are a bit stiffer?Thankyou
I had cannon race craft make me some stiffer springs for the front forks on my 81 xr200r build. They were very helpful and did good work. I got extremely tired of dealing with racetech. I had to return springs to racetech that were wrong, received horrible advice, and it took them an eternity to refund my money. I'm not sure if Cannon makes a rear spring for the shock or not.
  • Like 2

Do you remember what rate they were?The xr200 is pretty light.Wouldnt want to go too stiff..42 worked good on my xr250.Not sure what the stock springs are.Thanks for the reply

Do you remember what rate they were?The xr200 is pretty light.Wouldnt want to go too stiff..42 worked good on my xr250.Not sure what the stock springs are.Thanks for the reply
I actually put a 1985 xr250r front end on my build. I had themake them at 44kg spring rate. I would have to research the rates of the 200 forks. It's been about a year since I was doing research myself on the topic. There are some older threads on here with good info on the subject.

Ive got an eye out for a set of 85 xr 250 forks and front wheel with disc for another 200 that i have.The one im currently working on will need to be equipped with drum brakes to qualify for vintage racing.

I will call cannon.Thanks for the help

Ive got an eye out for a set of 85 xr 250 forks and front wheel with disc for another 200 that i have.The one im currently working on will need to be equipped with drum brakes to qualify for vintage racing.
I will call cannon.Thanks for the help
They just need the spring outside diameter in mm measured once at the top and once at the bottom, the length in mm, and the spring rate you want and they will make them. Takes a couple weeks I think. Good luck on the vintage racer!

Honda liked to use 2 rate springs in the XRs, from my notes on XR200 springs; .29/.48, .24/.42, .31/.48. Two rate springs do provide a softer more plush starting rate but I don't like them because I can feel the transition and I find it annoying.  What I do is shim only one spring for sag and that makes the springs transition their rate at different points in travel so the transition is less abrupt.  I have also mixed XR springs to do the same thing.

• Like 1

20180102_123959.jpg.feecd2064b2bec980ac1c20a7417a5cf.jpg

Mark is an awesome guy. He races as well as builds suspensions, so you can trust he won't steer you wrong. They made springs for the '85 XR250R forks I put on my 200, as well as the spring for my 200 shock. I don't remember what fork rate he used on mine, I'd have to find the paperwork, and I don't even know where that is. 

But talk to Mark, he's very helpful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

20180102_123959.jpg.feecd2064b2bec980ac1c20a7417a5cf.jpg

Mark is an awesome guy. He races as well as builds suspensions, so you can trust he won't steer you wrong. They made springs for the '85 XR250R forks I put on my 200, as well as the spring for my 200 shock. I don't remember what fork rate he used on mine, I'd have to find the paperwork, and I don't even know where that is. 

But talk to Mark, he's very helpful

Did you use emulators or do any damper rod modifications?Were the 250 forks better than the 200 forks?Are they much heavier?I wouldnt want to sacrifice any of the light flickable feeling of the 200.

I haven't put any emulators on them yet. When Mark rebuilt them, he did modify the damper rods by welding up stock holes and drilled new holes. Not sure of the size and location and amount of holes he put in. 

My forks weren't in the best of shape inside, so he ended up having to replace the bushings and other internals. Ended up being rather costly since he said some of those parts are getting hard to come across now. 

I actually only rode the bike with the 200 forks once, in a field, and they were shot. So I can't really compare the ride quality.

I can say though, the XR250R forks with the disk brake is wonderful. The bike is flickable, and the forks aren't that much bigger and heavier than the 200, so it's a great ride. I don't feel like I'm getting beat up by the bike

Tamatwotone,
Are you in the OKC area? 
No, I'm in Southwest MO. I did use racetech emulators in my 250r forks with cannon springs though.

Oh ok, thought I'd ask. Always good finding new people to ride with. Don't know anyone else on here from the OKC area. 

How is the ride with the emulators?

Mark told me they would be a great addition when I was ready to try them and that I'd like them

Oh ok, thought I'd ask. Always good finding new people to ride with. Don't know anyone else on here from the OKC area. 
How is the ride with the emulators?
Mark told me they would be a great addition when I was ready to try them and that I'd like them
I haven't finished the bike yet. Hehe. Started over a year ago and havent worked on it in a while. I am about to wrap it up. Just need to finish the exhaust. It was a basket case and I spent way too much money on it but it was a fun project. Seemed like everything on the bike needed replaced except the frame. I prob could have bought a 2-3 year old ktm xc for the money I have in the thing. Anyway long story short, I haven't ridden it yet to see how it rides. This pic is horrible but it's all I have at the moment. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I won't post anymore after this. IMG_20171119_221503571.jpg

Shit happens. The picture is ok, it's that garage that needs help! :p  Hell I can't talk, at least you have one you work in. My gf has ours loaded up with so much shit I can barely fit my bikes in it. 

That's a nice looking bike, you did a good job! You said those are the '85 XR250R forks? Are those Daystar fork boots? 

The thread's still his, he'll chime in when he's able lol 

Shit happens. The picture is ok, it's that garage that needs help!   Hell I can't talk, at least you have one you work in. My gf has ours loaded up with so much shit I can barely fit my bikes in it. 
That's a nice looking bike, you did a good job! You said those are the '85 XR250R forks? Are those Daystar fork boots? 
The thread's still his, he'll chime in when he's able lol 
Yeah '85 250r forks and Daystar boots. The garage was on a bad day. It's usually a tad bit cleaner not much though. I will post pics of the build when I finish it hopefully within the next month.
  • Like 1