Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×

How do I get more power out of my 2018 YZ250FX

Hey guys, I am new to TT and this is my first post. I have been lurking for a while as I researched the purchase of my new bike and that research brought me to a 2018 YZ250FX. I used to race a 2005 WR250F and I really liked how bullet proof the engine was on it so I went back to Yamaha. I am coming off a 2008 KTM 250 XCF-W in which I really loved but it was time for a new bike. So far, the FX has better suspension and pretty much everything else is better except the power. I feel like when i need to pop the clutch to get over a log or something it just dosnt have the same get up as my old KTM. My ktm had a FMF powercore 4 slip on exhaust and was jetted with no other upgrades. My 18 FX has the FMF factory 4.1 exhaust with nothing else done to it. My question is, how can I get more power out of my FX? I have read several post on TT about people needing to tame the throttle down on the FX but I havnt had that issue. Could tuning it and giving it a different map help?

Thanks guys in advance!

IMG_0068.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting. I picked up an 18 FX and am one of those that find it very responsive on the low end. I ended up installing the G2 throttle cam throttle tube to calm it down. I wonder if your exhaust has anything to do with it?

• Like 1

TBH, I just installed the FMF pipe yesterday and only had a short while to ride it around the yard but it still did not feel as responsive as I thought it would. I had a race last weekend and I ran into several situations where I needed to hop over a log or what ever and it just did not seem to have the get up i was used to on the KTM.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Im sure this isn't anything the power tuner cant fix. Get that thing ASAP or barrow a friends at the track.!

Edited by Strength Moto
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strength Moto said:

Im sure this isn't anything the power tuner cant fix. Get that thing ASAP or barrow a friends at the track.!

That is what I am thinking, but I dont know anyone who has one and it took enough to convince my wife to get a new bike etc so the tunner will have to wait a little bit lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reineduro said:

That is what I am thinking, but I dont know anyone who has one and it took enough to convince my wife to get a new bike etc so the tunner will have to wait a little bit lol

Okay, peak around ebay, and craigslist. You may get lucky. I have the tuner for my 450, and there is a lot you can do to improve performance

• Like 3

The 250 FX will bark circles around that carbureted 2008 KTM 250 XCF-W.   I had a 2008 KTM 450 XCW and the 250 FX is almost as powerful and lofts the front wheel just as easy  (without using the clutch and with the stock map)   You probably should have read more here on TT before purchasing the FMF exhaust as there are reports about losing low end power with it.   Try the stock exhaust and report back.  Also, the tuner will change a bit of the power delivery characteristics, but it is not earth shattering.  (tons of threads about the tuner).  The stock exhaust is great on these bikes. 

Edited by Shredjim
spelling
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Shredjim said:

The 250 FX will bark circles around that carbureted 2008 KTM 250 XCF-W.   I had a 2008 KTM 450 XCW and the 250 FX is almost as powerful and lofts the front wheel just as easy  (without using the clutch and with the stock map)   You probably should have read more here on TT before purchasing the FMF exhaust as there are reports about losing low end power with it.   Try the stock exhaust and report back.  Also, the tuner will change a bit of the power delivery characteristics, but it is not earth shattering.  (tons of threads about the tuner).  The stock exhaust is great on these bikes. 

Well I am sponsored through FMF with a 50% discount so that is why I purchased FMF. I will for sure look at the tuner options though. 

Edited by Reineduro
  • Like 1

I had the same thoughts going from my old 08 YZ250F to a 2014 YZ250F. I dont think it is a power issue it is a bike weight distribution issue. The front end has more weight on it than the older models /other bikes. 

Once you get used to the bike and your technique adapts to it you will find it is a non issue. 

• Like 2

Im 190 + gear and have no issues getting the front end up whenever I want. Im no pro either.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Jesus Christ you're an amateur.  A tuner is small enough to hide from your wife. Ship it to a buddies house and pick it up. Even if she found it she won't know what the hell it is. 

Edited by gatorfan
  • Like 5

My 17 FX is a gutless wonder. I have FMF and tuner running the aggressive map. Very under powered. The only good news is you get used to it. When I blow it up I’m gonna try a big bore kit of some type/size. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XRalways said:

Im 190 + gear and have no issues getting the front end up whenever I want. Im no pro either.

Im 220 with out gear so idk if that is an issue or not. 

8 hours ago, LukeYZ426F said:

My 17 FX is a gutless wonder. I have FMF and tuner running the aggressive map. Very under powered. The only good news is you get used to it. When I blow it up I’m gonna try a big bore kit of some type/size. 

I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks its under powered. I for sure want to try and tune it with the aggressive map. 

• Like 1