Sign in to follow this  

buy a new bike or invest??

hey everybody I'm in need of wisdom and experience you all have to offer, have a dilemma, I have a 2001 kx250 running extremely well, but i have the itch to upgrade, I do mostly enduro riding, tight wood sections mainly and a few cross mountain trails, I'm unsure weather I should just invest in the kx250 and try turn it into a woods weapon or am I chasing my tale with that idea and should just upgrade to a proper enduro bike? looking for your take on it or if anyone has made a 250 2 stroke woods equipped was it worth it?? 

• Like 1

Good bike, but the question remains how much do you want to dump into a nearly 20 year old bike?  I'm in that situation right now, 03 XR250R that I have nicely set up for me, but it could use a few things that would be nice and are not necessary, so I am very reluctant to do that.  Your 2 stroke mx bike will take a bit of work to make it into a trail bike, the biggest obstacle I see is that mx trans.  A lot of guys turn 2 stroke 250s into trail/woods bikes, the most popular probably the YZ.

• Like 1

this is it I supose, the bike is pretty clean which Is making my want to invest but I'm just wondering even with revalved suspension and fly wheel weights and the rest, will I always be pretty uncomfortable doing tricky tight wood sections with that mx trans?? 

20171224_115948.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Conor Linnane said:

this is it I supose, the bike is pretty clean which Is making my want to invest but I'm just wondering even with revalved suspension and fly wheel weights and the rest, will I always be pretty uncomfortable doing tricky tight wood sections with that mx trans?? 

20171224_115948.jpg

Rekluse is a huge expense but will benefit you with that mx trans.  Gearing will somewhat compensate.  What I've always found annoying, I ride both my sons CRF450Rs sometimes, is the taller first gear and then the rest being so close together.  And yes, you should revalve, that mx suspension will beat you up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Rekluse is a huge expense but will benefit you with that mx trans.  Gearing will somewhat compensate.  What I've always found annoying, I ride both my sons CRF450Rs sometimes, is the taller first gear and then the rest being so close together.  And yes, you should revalve, that mx suspension will beat

yeah the tall first gear makes things very tricky sometimes when trying to navigate through deep rutted corners, I think if I was riding more open country I'd be more inclined to stick with the mx bike with a few mods but it's looking like ganna go get an enduro bike! any recommendations? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conor Linnane said:

yeah the tall first gear makes things very tricky sometimes when trying to navigate through deep rutted corners, I think if I was riding more open country I'd be more inclined to stick with the mx bike with a few mods but it's looking like ganna go get an enduro bike! any recommendations? 

YZ250FX.  The KTM guys will tell you to stick to a 2t and buy an orange bike.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

YZ250FX.  The KTM guys will tell you to stick to a 2t and buy an orange bike.

that would be ideal! had an opportunity to get a 2012 husky te310 but didn't know much about the bike 

• Like 1

that would be ideal! had an opportunity to get a 2012 husky te310 but didn't know much about the bike 

I have not had one but do some research on the 310 husky. They don’t get reviewed that well.

• Like 3

Yes it can be done, suspension and gearing along with state of tune play a huge roll in how it will work in the woods.  Like you have been told it is a older bike and they have come a long way. Race with a few guys who run them hard in single track and do well.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jeffg198 said:

I have both yamahas 2 and 4 stroke,both with rekluse,great bikes

the yz 250x is supposed to be even better

it's hard to let the 2 stroke go but I'd say any 250 4 stroke would be very quick through a wood section? iv always been a 2 stroke man maybe it's time to try the other

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jamesw9404 said:

I have not had one but do some research on the 310 husky. They don’t get reviewed that well.

really? reliability issues?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slideleft said:
12 minutes ago, slideleft said:

Yes it can be done, suspension and gearing along with state of tune play a huge roll in how it will work in the woods.  Like you have been told it is a older bike and they have come a long way. Race with a few guys who run them hard in single track and do well.

I feel like the kx had a good base to build on it's very light on it's feet and handles well but they did come with an extremely tall first gear which is battling me in the tough stuff 

• Like 1

We’ve all struggled with decisions like this, if only in our heads.  Ive found that the purpose built bikes are more fun for the intended purpose.  A woods bike for woods riding will make u happier than converting an mxer, in my experience.  The trans, suspension, lights, and torquey motor are tough to match starting with an mxer.  Good luck in your decision...

• Like 3

As an example of gearing, I can go slower in 2nd gear on my 03 XR250R than my sons can go in 1st gear comfortably on their CRF450Rs.  Trail gearing has its advantages in the slow stuff.  Makes not a whole lot of difference on the fast flowing stuff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Conor Linnane said:

20171224_115948.jpg

do you need lights ?

do you need e start ?

do you need to be plated ?

if you answer know to the above then keep the kx 

flywheel weight , good carb tuning (research suzuki needles or pm me if you want )

you can buy a cheap hydraulic clutch off e bay that works on these bikes 

and possibly revalved suspension

carb tuning and suspension has to be done on any enduro bike anyway

nice bike by the way

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Conor Linnane said:

it's hard to let the 2 stroke go but I'd say any 250 4 stroke would be very quick through a wood section? iv always been a 2 stroke man maybe it's time to try the other

I bought my 14 Yz 250 f new and put a rekluse on.suspension is bone stock,I am amazed how planted it is,it absorbs roots,trail junk,and whoops.and the fuel injection works awesome(first fuelie)

i i like it so much I bought a used 17 Yz 450x to try when the snow is finally gone here...

• Like 1

I made that decision with a 2001 YZ250. Since it is solely for blasting around on trails I rebuilt the engine, had the suspension overhauled and adjusted by Factory Connection, added a tooth to the rear sprocket, put hand & engine guards on it and added a super-compliant reed valve for crisp low-end. No flywheel weight. It all cost maybe $1700 and now I have more fun on the trails than a person has a right to. I catch enduro bikes on medium straights, usually on a wheelstand and enjoying that screaming top-end. If you want even more power, put a pulsestar spark plug in it and you'll dog 450's and/or have a better time of it on hilly trails.

I am worried about reliability however, so temper your decision based on how/where you'll want to use it.

I'm sure you'd get the same giggles from a new/late model KTM 300, and you'd get lights, and even electric start all in return for some extra weight.

• Like 2

I have ridden MX bikes in the woods forever. Gearing is most important. Flywheel weight depends on the bike. My 2000 RM250 is better on a hare scrambles course without a weight. MX suspension works fine with a few clicks. The best woods bike I have ridden was a 95 YZ250 with a long rod kit and mild porting, no flywheel weight.

• Like 2

It's a nice bike but I wouldn't want to dump a bunch of money into a 17 year old MX bike to try to make it work in the woods.   And if I ride woods, and I'm buying a new bike, I'm not going to buy an MX bike when there are so many great 2-stroke and 4-stroke endure bikes to choose from.

If you decide to buy new, and you love two-strokes, stick with a 2-stroke.  Look KTM 250/300 XC-W, KTM 250/300 XC, Husky TE 250/300, Husky TX 250/300 and Beta  250/300RR.  Yamaha's YZ250X gets a lot of good reviews and had they updated like they did the YZ250FX I'd be really interested in it.  But it's still the 5 speed, no e-start motocross bike that was just made more woods friendly.  

If you want to try a 4-stroke I think the Yamaha YZ250FX is right there with the Euros.  Then you have KTM, Husky and Beta to look at as well.  The only big advantage they offer are more middle weight displacements (350, 390).

Just my $0.02.

Doc

• Like 4