bucket list

Yike's, cracked piston, now quiet engine

62 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bucket list said:

So you really think the T6 5/40 oil would not carbon up the cc as much?

Hoping with new cyl piston and rings it will stay cleaner, longer. I'll probably have the top end apart again this winter after my big loop through the western states.

I too was resistant to synthetic oil at one time. My theory was that the additive package wore out first and that provided that viscosity was good, what else mattered? 

Well, the areas that get very little oil, like the rings and the guides really benefit from a better quality oil. 

The difference between lubricating oils and wood finishing oils is how long it takes them to turn into varnish. Synthetic oil lubricates better and is far more stable than dino.

I have a Toyota and a Volkswagen, both of which have 160+ thousand on the odometer. Neither one consumes oil between 10k mile and 7k mile oil changes, respectively.  They run on T6.

I do a Redline T6 blend in the Suzuki. With all the heat seized and otherwise damaged engines I see on this board, I think that it is cheap insurance. 

2 people like this

14 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

I don't see the carbon build-up as unusual for a well-used engine. I also doubt that pre-ignition caused the crack,  nor a lean condition. The piston crown shows no obvious distress and that looks like a stress-relieving crack, concrete does that too, ya know?

I  almost stopped by your house last night Greg. I went for a little 60 kms ride through and around Glen Valley, so much nicer to ride that bike when it doesn't sound like a diesel. You know I've been chasing that engine noise for a long time now, just didn't realise I was so close to it exploding. :facepalm:

2 people like this