Should I pass on this trailer?

Hate to make a thread just for this but came across good deal.

Need a trailer now and hoping to pick one up for cheap. Found this one but notice about half the tray hangs freely compared. Is this safe? Would you pass on this one?

34pc8qu.png

Edited by JN89

IMO that design pretty much limits you to hauling dirt bikes only.

A standard 5' x 8' or so flat bed with or without side panels would be much more versatile for other uses.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

If those bike rails were made it of C- channel, I wouldn't worry if it were just being used for dirt bikes. 

However, it looks like those rails are made out of 2x2 angle, with expanded metal, KINDA welded in (looks like thats coming apart). Just by going on the picture, doesn't look like there's any bracing under the expanded metal on the back half of the rail. I'd be afraid of my rear wheel falling through. 

Like "mlatour" said, I'd rather have something like a 5'x8' flat bed that I can use for other things. 

I have a 4'x8' fold up trailer from I think Northern Tool that I got for free. I use it to trailer my Hayabusa to the track sometimes. It works well, but I need to put some good 3/4" plywood on it and beef it up a little with some side rails, cuz it's a lil flimsy. Otherwise I just use my ramp and put the dirt bike in the bed of my truck

After looking closer, the rails don't look wide enough for a tire/wheel to fall through. But yeah, I myself, wouldn't buy a trailer dedicated just to haul dirt bikes. Trailers start accumulating in the back yard taking up space.

Wheel chocks and eye-bolts or D-rings can be added to any trailer.

Good luck with your decision 

I see no reason this isn't safe enough to use, but like other's have said I'd rather have a full trailer bed to use for other stuff.

If you don't see yourself ever needing to haul more than bikes and it's a good price, go for it.

• Like 3

The rear tire load on that cantilevered section is minimal, with dirt bikes that is. For sure wouldn't put any HD on there. Rough road could mean trouble..

If you can believe this, I saw a guy load his DB into the back of a mule or something like that, and he had a 2x4 extending out the back, that the rear wheel rode on. Was a short trip for him. Wish I would of took a pic of that one. Most all load was on the front..

4 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Pretty sure you are over the capacity of that axle in the first pic lol.

No shit! I'm pretty sure that's not a 3500lb axle under that trailer. Especially since whoever took that picture with all the logs on there, wasn't smart enough to not include the jack that's holding the weight so the tire doesn't look flat or able to see the fender ON the fender cuz it's super overloaded. 

I've pulled many many trailers of all sizes and types over the years, it's not hard to see that kinda stuff.

That trailer for $500 though, isn't a bad deal

That trailer is built well i added tie down out riggers, tire guides and fenders it came with brand new car tires 

I do not normally over load it but i cut some trees and wanted them for my enduro cross pit

IMG_5901.JPG

Edited by olddude13
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, JN89 said:

Need a trailer now and hoping to pick one up for cheap. Found this one but notice about half the tray hangs freely compared. Is this safe? Would you pass on this one?

34pc8qu.png

You will have no problem hauling dirt bikes weighing under 300 lbs each with this trailer. 

Like some others have mentioned, an 8' flat deck trailer can haul much more than bikes, is much more useful in the long run. I had one of the 4'x8' folding trailers like HarborFreight sells. 1000 lbs cap and only 350 lbs weight. I never did use the folding feature. I used it for over 20 years before it rusted out, mainly from hauling a sled on salty winter roads. It would carry 2 bikes and even a 660 Raptor quad and a bike. If you have to carry 3 bikes you are going to need a 6' wide or wider trailer. The 4' trailer hauled well behind even a Toyota Echo and Corolla. 

25464_371300910802_6045431_n.jpg

On 4/16/2018 at 6:53 PM, JN89 said:

34pc8qu.png