Sign in to follow this  

Fork break in?

Some forks need a break in but most often the forks are pinched in/out at the front axle. Put the bike on a stand with the front in the air. Loosen the axle pinch bolts and make sure the right leg moves a bit, like 1/8" in-out on the axle. Then give the front wheel about 10 good hard spins forward and hammer on your front brake. Then torque the pinch bolts  and you'll probably be good to go.  

I did this already. The forks work perfectly like they should but just stiff. But how much stiffer would a new rebuild be versus forks that leak and leave a puddle on my rim. Also another problem might be that i forgot they're sprung for a 250 lb rider.

Yes, new forks def exhibit a stiff feeling and require time to soften up. I used to question whether this was a myth, but I found it to be very true recently when running two exacts sets of forks, one new and one with 30 hours.

2 hours ago, Evan Dodd said:

Also another problem might be that i forgot they're sprung for a 250 lb rider.

And how heavy are you ?

For starters, you need new springs...big difference in spring rates between a 250lbs rider and a 140lbs rider.

Now, if your forks were to the point that they were leaving puddles, then yes, your going to notice a difference after a rebuild.  My guess is that they are actually working properly now, and since they were set up for a 250lbs rider, you're just now able to feel how stiff they are...is this a new-to-you bike?