06 CR250 Issues with idling/ power valves

Hey guys,

I need some wisdom from the keyboard warriors out there. 

I was out riding my 06 CR a couple weeks ago. I just recently picked the bike up. I ended up getting a steal. I bought that bike and an 01 Yz125 $2000.

Anyways,

While I was riding the bike suddenly started to bog on me and lost power. I had to give it full throttle to get 45% 

I did some research on potential issues. Came across the power valve info. 

Ill post two videos. In the first you can see the valves and the second you can see the bike just not idling right.

Anyone have any ideas for me to look over?

Cumminsblake 

How many hrs on this bike and what sort of riding do you do?

Was there excessive smoke when riding? Engine seals can dry out when bikes are left sitting for long periods.

What carb, jets and needle are you using?  Check breather hoses for blockages or kinks , make sure float level is correct.

Your power valve seemed ok in vid (might be sticking when hot???)  open at higher revs, closed with no delay, same as my '06.

Get a manual and check air screw setting , then idle screw setting. You might find these are way off !!!

With worn rings and rich factory jetting I had a lot of problems with fouling plugs / engine loading / splooge out of pipe for trail/woods riding.

I rejetted carb (JD kit- #jdh005) with very good results and a new top end.

Bike ran really well until........

after 10hrs on new top end I started getting an erratic idle, down on power a bit through the range, bit of smoke,

and surging when slowing down after WOT

Gearbox oil level down , turns out main seal leaking.

Will be changing asap.

Good luck

'06 with cylinder/head mods, jd jetting, Crf 250x forks/shock and a bit of bling.

Your powervalve looks a-ok to me. Cable slack is AOK too. it's working as it should.

ps, looks like your stock pipe got bent inward as it looks like it's touching the frame (right in front of the powervalve housing)

nothing to worry about for now, but check the connection at the cyl head to ensure that both your pipe's orings are still hidden and seated inside the cylinder exhaust spigot. YOu dont want any air leakage as a result of the bent pipe b/c that'll cause your single ring to wear out prematurely.

also,

While I was riding the bike suddenly started to bog on me and lost power.

sounds like maybe some sediment inside the carb (or the dreaded ethanol white puss) may have been sucked through the pilot. i'd drain the bowl, then refuel it back up,  and see if that helps. if not, then taking out the carb may be necessary to visually inspect further.

• Like 1