"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

9 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Had hoped to ride tomorrow, but gonna be too cold and wet. And it's supposed to be bad next weekend.  Started today on some more mods on my 150.  Sawed 1" off each end of the handle bars, and replaced the kill switch.  I didn't realize it, but the bike has the heavy duty aluminum renthal bars.  They are tough aluminum!  My pipe cutter wouldn't work, so it took a while to saw them off.  

Have a flywheel weight ordered.  Hopefully that will tame down the throttle response at low speeds in the gnarly stuff.  I already did the throttle tamer tube and disconnected the throttle position sensor, which helped some.  Have any of you added flywheel weight?  And did it help?

Also am going to remount my foot pegs at least 1" lower and slightly back.  Having to reweld those may take a while.  Already have handle bar risers, but the stand up position is still awkward.

Anyone else have any mods, or repairs going this winter?

I've got a 12oz fww on my '01 GG XC200. I love it. Yeah, it's a two stroke, but I'm sure it'll work well on your   4 st as well.

RB

• Like 1

Oil injection broke?  Or you just don't trust it?
I have a love hate relationship with it. On one hand it works great. On the other hand I'm always worried that it will stop working great. Almost all my riding is on trips from 3 - 12 hours from home, and I only get a couple a year. I would hate to loose out on one of my rides due to faulty OI. My light came on in Moab last year after a crash at the bottom of Pritchett canyon several hours from town with the light fading. It turned out to be working fine but I was sweating it pretty bad. So I'll just eliminate it. Working on bikes is new to me so the more I do the more confident I am that I can get myself back home in a pinch.
Any tips for cleaning the nooks and crannies of the engine?20181202_164818.jpeg20181202_164824.jpeg
  • Like 2

Just now getting back on the bike after a major leg break last May. Had to be careful due to being off work for three months....Boss suggested not using sick leave again until next year.
Gary, was watching videos of 5MH Trail. Must be getting old, I’m scared. Still feel bad about Poison Spider Mesa. That was a great trip.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:25 PM, Weezer the Geezer said:

Had hoped to ride tomorrow, but gonna be too cold and wet. And it's supposed to be bad next weekend.  Started today on some more mods on my 150.  Sawed 1" off each end of the handle bars, and replaced the kill switch.  I didn't realize it, but the bike has the heavy duty aluminum renthal bars.  They are tough aluminum!  My pipe cutter wouldn't work, so it took a while to saw them off.  

Have a flywheel weight ordered.  Hopefully that will tame down the throttle response at low speeds in the gnarly stuff.  I already did the throttle tamer tube and disconnected the throttle position sensor, which helped some.  Have any of you added flywheel weight?  And did it help?

Also am going to remount my foot pegs at least 1" lower and slightly back.  Having to reweld those may take a while.  Already have handle bar risers, but the stand up position is still awkward.

Anyone else have any mods, or repairs going this winter?

was looking at some videos over the weekend and Paul Goodchild (I think thats his name) had several videos posted,it looked very wet to say the least.

75, I had several vintage Suzukis that had mechanical oil injection.  Never had a problem, but they were almost fail proof.  I can understand the concern about the electronic (I am assuming) computer controlled systems.  One bad electrical connection,  or computer malfunction, and your engine is toast.

1 hour ago, Huskydog14 said:

was looking at some videos over the weekend and Paul Goodchild (I think thats his name) had several videos posted,it looked very wet to say the least.

Are you talking about pgood?  From Missouri?  Where did he post his videos?  He has been to Kansas a few times to ride with us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njoytheride said:

Just now getting back on the bike after a major leg break last May.

Still feel bad about Poison Spider Mesa. That was a great trip.

Did you break your leg on Poision Spider?  It is a fun ride and  does have some tricky rock ledges.  But I remember wiping out at a place where there was absolutely no reason to.

No 5 MOH stuff for me anymore.  LOL, it's too much work, I'm too old, and if I tried it, there would almost surely be a broken bone.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

2 minutes ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

75, I had several vintage Suzukis that had mechanical oil injection.  Never had a problem, but they were almost fail proof.  I can understand the concern about the electronic (I am assuming) computer controlled systems.  One bad electrical connection,  or computer malfunction, and your engine is toast.

Are you talking about pgood?  From Missouri?  Where did he post his videos?  He has been to Kansas a few times to ride with us.

yes i thought he was from Kansas,and I saw him in some of your photos etc that's why I mentioned him. The videos were on you tube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huskydog14 said:

yes i thought he was from Kansas,and I saw him in some of your photos etc that's why I mentioned him. The videos were on you tube.

It has been a year or so since I last saw him.  He used to post a lot on the Kansas thread, but not recently.  I checked on his videos, and it looks like he rides in NE Kansas more than Missouri, where he lives.  He certainly is a prolific videoer.  He has some videos of places I didnt know existed.  He is really into hare scrambles, but some of the hare scrambles are on private property.  One of the scrambles was at Lyndon, Ks, and looks like a neat place to ride.  Will have to look into that one.  Yokomo, do you know about that place?

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 1