Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

Nice videos guys, it's like Hollywood productions. I'm embarrased to link any of my vids with my old camera without editing. Keep em coming I enjoy!

Mac

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

If you have an interest in visiting Wa State to ride, the NW chapter here at TT is very accomadating. And if you plan on hitting Gifford, we can help you prepare and plan routes etc. There are long threads about the special risks and rewards of The Super Bowl.

Might mention, that it is likely that we will have an opening weekend party for "the best" ride place in Washington this early Summer. About 30 miles West of Yakima is a place called Little Naches that has moderately difficult to difficult alpine trails that are nearly endless. The camping is world class, the beauty unreal, and good access to civilization. Last year our party had 20 people...this year 40-50? It includes an alpine midnight ride that I've done three years in a row. It's optional, only one guy was willing to join me last year. 

Good time for sure. Bummed I missed the first day up towards the pass. Night riding is a blast (I was that one guy) I really thought after the 2017 turnout there would be more folks up for that. Long Meadow is also positioned for some decent night riding right out of camp too without even hitting the road first. Will pencil in 2019. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raging Petunia said:

Here is a little ride in AZ this year. All these videos are getting my juices flowing. Not quite Tiger or Dmac material but it is in the vein of the thread.

The wild horses at the beginning? Very cool.

Where in AZ was that? I've been there twice and a bit disappointed in the riding I found overall, though mile markers outside of Phoenix was quite good. I pretty much struck out in the Flagstaff area surprisingly. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:34 PM, Mac_y44 said:

Nice videos guys, it's like Hollywood productions. I'm embarrased to link any of my vids with my old camera without editing. Keep em coming I enjoy!

Mac

Nice truck icon.  I drove one of those back in the 50s, but it was bone stock. 

Where in Missouri do you live?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, TigerTanker said:

Where in AZ was that? I've been there twice and a bit disappointed in the riding I found overall, though mile markers outside of Phoenix was quite good. I pretty much struck out in the Flagstaff area surprisingly. 

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but since it was private ground I'd rather not say. Although I love the high desert, I would rather ride in the mountains. Vistas around every corner, rocky/rooty hill climbs...... love it. 

Moab this spring will probably be the last desert ride  for a while, want to use my bike time to ride in the mountains and woods. The stuff you are riding is the best. Want to make it sometime to PNW and Idaho. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Nice truck icon.  I drove one of those back in the 50s, but it was bone stock. 

Where in Missouri do you live?

Thanks Weezer, Truck is a 48. I live in Columbia. Going to try Mill Creek sometime this summer, how would you describe the trails there? Have you been to Turkey Bay Kentucky?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, HevyRotashunz said:
On 12/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, Piney Woods said:
T Tanker you're killing me! If you saw my ride area you would probably say quit riding and take up golf. Positively sucks! I rode the Trask Mtn 2Day qualifier in '86 and am still in awe of that beautiful country. Keep the videos coming please.

Just plan on driving up from Tejas George.

Three day drive for me, longer drive home when alone. Tempting though, beautiful country. 

Edited by Piney Woods

On 12/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, TigerTanker said:

If you're in AZ again, check out Chiva Falls near Tucson, Geronimo Trail Road or Leslie Canyon Rd near Douglas AZ, or FSR 61 from Sierra Vista, AZ through Coronado National Monument to Sonoita Lake. Lots of scenic riding there. Also, you can check with Range Riders, rockcrawler/Jeep group, about trails. Reach out to Tom, their club president, He's a good friend of mine. I was a member when I had my Toyota truggy. He can give you info on just about any trail in AZ. Might not be exactly a single track, but it'll be fun, challenging, and scenic. Especially on a dirt bike. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac_y44 said:

Thanks Weezer, Truck is a 48. I live in Columbia. Going to try Mill Creek sometime this summer, how would you describe the trails there? Have you been to Turkey Bay Kentucky?

Living in South central Kansas (Wichita), I have never ridden East of Kansas, except in the 1970s in central Arkansas.  I go to NE Kansas around Junction City and Manhattan to ride occasionally, which is the best riding I have found in Kansas.  We occasionally have people come there from the KC area,  but would be a long drive for you.  But you would be welcome.  For major rides I have always gone west.  I think my nephew went to Mill creek last year, and said it was a good ride.

Huskydog14 may have been to Turkey Bay??  He lives near Cincinnati.  I have traveled around Columbia, and the terrain looks like you could have some nice riding areas.  Have also done some float trips in South central Missouri,  but no trail riding.

Take good care of that truck!!

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

JACKPOT!!!!

My wife and I, and our brave/ferocious Lab puppy, walked our property this afternoon and I realized how easy it will be to cut a trail to the Maine Interstate Trail System in our area. Looks like I've got a couple water/boggy crossings and a shallow stream, but nothing too hard. 

Looks like my son and I will be out there with the chain saw next weekend!!! 

IMG_20181230_142753487.jpg

IMG_20181230_142223997.jpg

IMG_20181230_142207027.jpg

IMG_20181230_142008528.jpg

IMG_20181230_141943574.jpg

IMG_20181230_141929986.jpg

IMG_20181230_142809867.jpg

IMG_20181230_142144548.jpg

• Like 5

I may be up for Junction City ride. Google says 3hr 45 min from my doorstep. Is there camping there or showers? Would like to ride 2 days if I drove that far.

I have been to Sargents twice and Taylor Park once. Good riding. Hatefield McCoy (Rockhouse) this year. I seen that you stayed in the primitive cabins at Sargents.  We had a in and stayed in the bunk house above thier privite shop. They let us use the shop to work and store our bikes at night Good times. 

these are several years ago i think 2014

1st pic shop under bunk house Sargents

2nd pic crappie fish fry

3rd Pitken for gas

4th old mine 

1435691731458.jpg

1435691744789.jpg

1435691733084.jpg

1435691745416.jpg

1435691737161.jpg

Edited by Mac_y44
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BUNK657 said:

If you're in AZ again, check out Chiva Falls near Tucson, Geronimo Trail Road or Leslie Canyon Rd near Douglas AZ, or FSR 61 from Sierra Vista, AZ through Coronado National Monument to Sonoita Lake. Lots of scenic riding there. Also, you can check with Range Riders, rockcrawler/Jeep group, about trails. Reach out to Tom, their club president, He's a good friend of mine. I was a member when I had my Toyota truggy. He can give you info on just about any trail in AZ. Might not be exactly a single track, but it'll be fun, challenging, and scenic. Especially on a dirt bike. 

Never heard of Sonoita lake, Parker Canyon lake and Patagonia lake are in the area. My Grandpa had a ranch south of Sonoita, I spent a lot of time down there...

9 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

Never heard of Sonoita lake, Parker Canyon lake and Patagonia lake are in the area. My Grandpa had a ranch south of Sonoita, I spent a lot of time down there...

That's what I meant, Parker Canyon Lake. I was thinking Sonoita while I was typing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BUNK657 said:

That's what I meant, Parker Canyon Lake. I was thinking Sonoita while I was typing. 

There is a lot of great riding down there, Nat'l Forest provides a lot of opportunities on unimproved roads. We have it good out west...

42 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

There is a lot of great riding down there, Nat'l Forest provides a lot of opportunities on unimproved roads. We have it good out west...

Yes, tons of incredible riding out west. I was in a rock crawler club with my Toyota truggy for about 15 years until I bought a UTV. I did the UTV thing only for about a year. It was fun, but not very challenging. I traded it for the bikes I have now. We moved to Maine in July, job transfer, so now I'm starting a new adventure with the bikes and snowmobiles. 

• Like 3

Mac y44 - You could plan out some good riding over this way.  Some good places to ride are School Creek / Milford, Tuttle Creek ORV / Randolph, Spillway ORV in Manhattan, & Carbondale.  You can camp close to all of them except Carbondale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac_y44 said:

I may be up for Junction City ride. Google says 3hr 45 min from my doorstep. Is there camping there or showers? Would like to ride 2 days if I drove that far.

I have been to Sargents twice and Taylor Park once. Good riding. Hatefield McCoy (Rockhouse) this year. I seen that you stayed in the primitive cabins at Sargents.  We had a in and stayed in the bunk house above thier privite shop. They let us use the shop to work and store our bikes at night Good times. 

these are several years ago i think 2014

1st pic shop under bunk house Sargents

2nd pic crappie fish fry

3rd Pitken for gas

4th old mine 

1435691731458.jpg

1435691744789.jpg

1435691733084.jpg

1435691745416.jpg

1435691737161.jpg

Any pics of that area puts a smile on my face. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac_y44 said:

Been to Turkey Bay 5 times. First couple times it was NOT run by the TVA. It was kind of a free for all which sucked because they let the morons be morons, which made the camping bad and you had to be careful on the trails with the same morons, but you could ride anywhere, even out on a long sand bar,and a cool creek area down by the bay. Then the TVA took over and stopped a lot of the stupidity going on in the camping area, but they also blocked off a lot of the trails I was talking about because of them being close to the water, and erosion problems. The jeeps and side by sides have ruined any singletrack that was there also. The last time we went it absolutly sucked. I wouldnt recommend it if you were driving very far. Only about a day worth of riding there now as they have shrunk the size of it. 

3 minutes ago, jsned250 said:

Been to Turkey Bay 5 times. First couple times it was NOT run by the TVA. It was kind of a free for all which sucked because they let the morons be morons, which made the camping bad and you had to be careful on the trails with the same morons, but you could ride anywhere, even out on a long sand bar,and a cool creek area down by the bay. Then the TVA took over and stopped a lot of the stupidity going on in the camping area, but they also blocked off a lot of the trails I was talking about because of them being close to the water, and erosion problems. The jeeps and side by sides have ruined any singletrack that was there also. The last time we went it absolutly sucked. I wouldnt recommend it if you were driving very far. Only about a day worth of riding there now as they have shrunk the size of it. 

Hate to hear that. Was planning on a ride there this year but think I may try Mill Creek now. Thanks for update. 

Mac