Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

• Highland Park looks good, probably stay around 5 hour trips this year.  My brother is our ring leader and he went down on a easy trail 20 miles into our ride at Rockhouse.  Ended up shattering his upper sholder ball. It's been 2 months and still not able to use it much. I sure hope he can ride again it is all he likes to do really.  But anyway I don't want to plan a big trip with him not being able to go.  
  • I loaded a video, nothing fancy just some trail riding in Sargents, kinda chasing my brother. We can still go in short bursts LOL.

Mac

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Special day today, riding with Mr. No Excuses. 48 yrs old, survived a landmine blast that took both legs and one eye. We rode in one of the most gnarly venues you can ride, Area 51 outside Bremerton WA. He crashed hard many times, had blood running down his arms at one point. Nothing but smiles. 460846138_JayArea51615.JPG.d299dbee41281472a41f3ba97892abd4.JPG1969036482_JayArea51633.JPG.18f46bff5248c5cf020cebbd097b351a.JPG

• Like 12

I took video of the day, should be really good. Jay also was in a near fatal parachuting accident 12 yrs ago. Another jumper crashed into his chute from above. Both men were twirling towards earth, Jay's prosthesis legs yanked off and freed him. Miraculously, as the ropes spun him round and round, he landed while on an upswing and was uninjured. The other man died. He's jumped out of airplanes 200 times since. 

I'll be writing an article about Jay and submitting pictures of the day to a moto publication. 

There are Heroes that walk among us. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mac_y44 said:
  • Highland Park looks good, probably stay around 5 hour trips this year.  My brother is our ring leader and he went down on a easy trail 20 miles into our ride at Rockhouse.  Ended up shattering his upper sholder ball. It's been 2 months and still not able to use it much. I sure hope he can ride again it is all he likes to do really.  But anyway I don't want to plan a big trip with him not being able to go.  
  • I loaded a video, nothing fancy just some trail riding in Sargents, kinda chasing my brother. We can still go in short bursts LOL.

Mac

I know how your brother feels...I got my MRI results.  I have a Hill-Sachs fracture, fancy term for the top ball part of the humerus (upper arm)  that is the joint into the shoulder.  Lots of tears of tendons, muscles, and ligaments.  They have lots of fancy terms, but until I talk to the doctor on Friday, i won't really know what all this really means.  Sounds like rotator cuff surgery at a minimum... 

• Sad 3

I know how your brother feels...I got my MRI results.  I have a Hill-Sachs fracture, fancy term for the top ball part of the humerus (upper arm)  that is the joint into the shoulder.  Lots of tears of tendons, muscles, and ligaments.  They have lots of fancy terms, but until I talk to the doctor on Friday, i won't really know what all this really means.  Sounds like rotator cuff surgery at a minimum... 
Bummer dude. Hope it's not totally fubar. Good luck.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

I took video of the day, should be really good. Jay also was in a near fatal parachuting accident 12 yrs ago. Another jumper crashed into his chute from above. Both men were twirling towards earth, Jay's prosthesis legs yanked off and freed him. Miraculously, as the ropes spun him round and round, he landed while on an upswing and was uninjured. The other man died. He's jumped out of airplanes 200 times since. 

I'll be writing an article about Jay and submitting pictures of the day to a moto publication. 

I look forward to reading the article. Its guys like this that I think about when shit is bothering me. I think man, maybe I aint got it so bad. Like to meet him. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Mac_y44 said:

I meant to add that looks like a nice place to ride. Do you ride the red trails?

We ride all the trails, including most of the quad trails. We mix it up so we dont get too beat up all at once on the 5 diamond trails. The 5 diamond single track is not stupid hard. All the single track is good, and the 4 and 5 diamond quad trails are fun. Its set up that when you do a loop you end up back on the safety road, so If some one doesnt want to do a certain loop they can take the safety road up to where you will come out and meet you. Its a really good setup. Its just not real big. 2 days is enough to see it all. But not sure where you live, but you could hit Turkey bay for a day then head down to Highland. There is aslo a place just a couple hours, not far but you have to go by Atlanta to get to it. It is huge but not as good of single track as Highland. It is flat, tons of motocross tracks, its okay. 

https://www.durhamtown.com/

Edited by jsned250
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

WOW.........and so true

So who here travels at least once per year for a week or longer?

Where you from and what kind of travel do you do?

i do a one month road trip the last two years. This video has a highlight of pics and vids. I travel alone with truck, two bikes, and I ride with people I met online. Cali thumpers have been especially good to me. 

• Like 4

There is a group of us that usually do a 7 to 10 day trip every year lately it's been Moab we decided to switch it up this year and go to New Mexico. I may get to Colorado this summer depending on wether Trailryder gets healed up,and I already have reservations in Moab area in the fall. I would love to ride Idaho but 2 days in the van usually by myself is enough. Eventually I would like to get a dual sport bike and do a trip through Colrado and the big 5 in Utah.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Troy_Turner said:

Giving up my KTM300XCW for a KTM500EXC this spring and I'm going to do the Washington ride... https://ridebdr.com/WABDR

It will be my first multi-day ride. Pretty excited!

I have both a 300 and a 450 husky. I love the 300 for intense gnarly days, or speed days. But, I have 2x the miles on my 450, and as a 16 it's about 20 lbs heavier than the new ones. After a couple years of riding it, I can now take it on 9star gnar trails and not feel overwhelmed by the added weight compared to the 300. I love it for 100 mile + adventures that include everything and anything. Amazing bike. You'll be stoked.

I hear that their is also a off road, more st ride for the state of WA? I too would like to squeeze in the WABDR. Pack a big pack, and just hit motels along the way...not much of a camping kind of guy. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

There is a group of us that usually do a 7 to 10 day trip every year lately it's been Moab we decided to switch it up this year and go to New Mexico. I may get to Colorado this summer depending on wether Trailryder gets healed up,and I already have reservations in Moab area in the fall. I would love to ride Idaho but 2 days in the van usually by myself is enough. Eventually I would like to get a dual sport bike and do a trip through Colrado and the big 5 in Utah.

I did 6-7 days in Moab in 2017, it was a killer experience but I'm not sure I could do that every year for several days.

Tip for ya...

As you approach Utah on I-70 in Colorado, there are riding areas much better than Moab if you are into ST/gnar type stuff.

Check out this place, and I was asked to not disclose the location. But I'll reveal it via PM for you guys on this thread. One of the funnest places I've ever ridden plus it's not impacted by snow/cold.

• Like 2