Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

8 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I did 6-7 days in Moab in 2017, it was a killer experience but I'm not sure I could do that every year for several days.

Tip for ya...

As you approach Utah on I-70 in Colorado, there are riding areas much better than Moab if you are into ST/gnar type stuff.

Check out this place, and I was asked to not disclose the location. But I'll reveal it via PM for you guys on this thread. One of the funnest places I've ever ridden plus it's not impacted by snow/cold.

That looks like some good riding I thought you were going to say Rabbit Valley which is the exit off I-70 just before Utah it is very good riding and there are some places just across the border as well in Utah before you exit to Moab

I hope to make a couple trips this year. I can do most anything but am at a stage where the grind it out rides are no fun. Will pay attention to see what rides develop and plan accordingly, do not want to hinder any groups plans.

1 minute ago, Piney Woods said:

I hope to make a couple trips this year. I can do most anything but am at a stage where the grind it out rides are no fun. Will pay attention to see what rides develop and plan accordingly, do not want to hinder any groups plans.

Thats not possible !! Hindering any of the rides !! There is such a diverse group that you can ride your pace no problem.

I have both a 300 and a 450 husky. I love the 300 for intense gnarly days, or speed days. But, I have 2x the miles on my 450, and as a 16 it's about 20 lbs heavier than the new ones. After a couple years of riding it, I can now take it on 9star gnar trails and not feel overwhelmed by the added weight compared to the 300. I love it for 100 mile + adventures that include everything and anything. Amazing bike. You'll be stoked.
I hear that their is also a off road, more st ride for the state of WA? I too would like to squeeze in the WABDR. Pack a big pack, and just hit motels along the way...not much of a camping kind of guy. 
Ditto on that. Rather ride light and hit the lounge and pool after.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I did 6-7 days in Moab in 2017, it was a killer experience but I'm not sure I could do that every year for several days.

Tip for ya...

As you approach Utah on I-70 in Colorado, there are riding areas much better than Moab if you are into ST/gnar type stuff.

Check out this place, and I was asked to not disclose the location. But I'll reveal it via PM for you guys on this thread. One of the funnest places I've ever ridden plus it's not impacted by snow/cold.

Where is that? Got any GPS or address for trail or trail head? 

As far as bucket lists go... make sure you come to Odessa Washington in April some day to do the Desert 100. They have a Family Poker run, Iron Man, Dual Sport and the Full Desert 100. I have been going for 27 years and have finished 20 times. At 57 years old my only goal is to finish each time. http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

It's one of the biggest off-road motorcycle only races in the world and the last dead engine start... that I know of. You'll never regret it... it's a once in a life time event.

Troy.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Troy_Turner said:

As far as bucket lists go... make sure you come to Odessa Washington in April some day to do the Desert 100. They have a Family Poker run, Iron Man, Dual Sport and the Full Desert 100. I have been going for 27 years and have finished 20 times. At 57 years old my only goal is to finish each time. http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

It's one of the biggest off-road motorcycle only races in the world and the last dead engine start... that I know of. You'll never regret it... it's a once in a life time event.

Troy.png

What class are you riding in these days?  I would like to better my time in 50-60 class then run open the following year since I never got to the D-100 until I was over 50, so I have never done the full 2 lap race.

Unfortunately there is no 50-60 class that's 2 laps. I have argued this point for 3 or 4 years but nobody will listen. They think we are too old to be out there. So I just ride the Open Class... it's sad that I can't compare myself to the other 50-60 year olds. Hell I would just like to know how many in that age group are even out there. The 2nd lap is by far the funnest lap. You are truly out there alone picking your best lines... rarely do you get past by someone... and you can spot a bike about a mile out and chase them down :)

31 minutes ago, Troy_Turner said:

Unfortunately there is no 50-60 class that's 2 laps. I have argued this point for 3 or 4 years but nobody will listen. They think we are too old to be out there. So I just ride the Open Class... it's sad that I can't compare myself to the other 50-60 year olds. Hell I would just like to know how many in that age group are even out there. The 2nd lap is by far the funnest lap. You are truly out there alone picking your best lines... rarely do you get past by someone... and you can spot a bike about a mile out and chase them down :)

I actually popped out and looked at the finishes and lap times from this year.  The second wave is so hampered by constant passing once you start catching up to the first wave laggards and then working your way into the pack that you never really get an open run, but looking at it the other way you get to do lots of passing which can be fun. The fastest 50 mile finish is about 15 minutes behind the fastest 100 mile finish divided in 1/2. That is surprising considering the amount of traffic the second wave hits, though the 100 mile times also include a pit stop, but it does tell me that 50-59's are still pretty fast considering 13 of the top 20 50 milers, including #1 and #2 are 50-59.

• Like 1

The only thing to consider... if you are doing 100 miles you don't necessarily want to take to many risks and use all of your energy in the 1st lap. My 2nd lap is much faster than my first lap and I typically pass my 25 year son at about the 75 mile mark because he is exhausted :)

Also keep in mind I'm not trying to race... I'm trying to finish... to me that's a lot more rewarding.

Edited by Troy_Turner
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Troy_Turner said:

The only thing to consider... if you are doing 100 miles you don't necessarily want to take to many risks and use all of your energy in the 1st lap. My 2nd lap is much faster than my first lap and I typically pass my 25 year son at about the 75 mile mark because he is exhausted :)

Also keep in mind I'm not trying to race... I'm trying to finish... to me that's a lot more rewarding.

"Finishing is Winning"...indeed. I did the D100 in 2017, first and only race of my life. I'd done a non stop 100 miles the previous year for the Poker Run so I knew what to do better the second year...

This vid's got some hits on it of mine. I talk about how what and why I did the race. 

One thing about this race that is surreal, is that it takes a very wide line to set up 800 people to start a race. This vid just shows me lining up towards the end of the line and passing everyone...it's almost 1 mile long!

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 3

Love the video. Looks like we are about the same speed, you were only 6 bikes behind me!  Here are my last 10 year numbers for the D100. Excited for 2019!

2018: 274th

2017: (Broke Down)

2016: 234th

2015: 289th

2014: 189th

2013: 635th (2 flats but finished)

2012: Don't Know... didn't get recorded at the gate

2011: 135th

2010: 189th

2009: 180th

2008: 284th

• Like 2

Was reviewing some video of riding with No Excuses. Going to be an awesome video. He wrecked pretty good about 4-5 times. Funny scene of him with blood pouring down his forearms. “Just a flesh wound”

D6543E10-EC2E-4E4C-A037-CF63B5C2110B.jpeg.79f33fc58df42dd5bb804255dc4c4aec.jpeg

• Like 3

Some great videos and picts recently, but it went from feast to famine.  Sometimes life outside bikes catches up with us. A lot of family and business stuff for me, but I did spent a whole day lowering the footpegs on my 150.  Had to reweld the brackets, (including the kick stand) and was only able to get 1" lower.  But it really helped the feel.  Hope to try it out saturday if the weather holds.  Temp is bouncing from 15 to over 50 and back in just a few days.

• Like 2

Got back from a family engagement in Missouri today. Seeing all those hills and rocks made me get out and ride a little after church. Not real comfortable on the bike but it was a nice day for a ride around the house. Just a cruddy vid to re inspire you real bikers to post a little. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc39BTQ-1_U&t=193s

• Like 1

Got out yesterday with my son to do some survey work. Hoping to build a cool trail that can be used with another trail recently built by others. I did a ton of trail building first quarter of last year. Gave me and my son some rare time together. He doesn’t ride, but likes getting out to the woods with me. 

6E017ADC-CC1F-4836-B649-204848EAF7F7.jpeg.e4b4dd907c5cf8a76140700389ba1684.jpeg

• Like 2

I made a preview of my ride vid with Jay. 

Pretty inspiring stuff. Have submitted a rough draft article to TractionErag 

• Like 4