Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

40 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

Anybody in here have experience with the ram phone mounts they show 3 ways to attach them and I am wondering which way would be the best just for adventure type riding not hard trails or woods riding.

Do you have a link or something that shows the 3 ways?   My phone is in a generic hard shell case, and that's is bolted to a Ram handlebar mount.  Mine attaches at the handlebar with one of those U bolts, making for a strong/snug fit.

Take a look at drzrider.com and their md7 mount

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 99klr250 said:

Do you have a link or something that shows the 3 ways?   My phone is in a generic hard shell case, and that's is bolted to a Ram handlebar mount.  Mine attaches at the handlebar with one of those U bolts, making for a strong/snug fit.

They are shown on Rocky Mtn website I'm not sure how to copy and paste it 

15 minutes ago, kcposty said:

Take a look at drzrider.com and their md7 mount

I looked at it and that is what I am looking for but I don't see how it mounts to the handlebars in the picture is the mounting system seperate? I looked at the 2 pics they had of a mounted one but I didn't see that mounting system with the md7

I looked at it and that is what I am looking for but I don't see how it mounts to the handlebars in the picture is the mounting system seperate? I looked at the 2 pics they had of a mounted one but I didn't see that mounting system with the md7
It clamps to the bars similarly to a lever perch. There is a picture of the assembly unmounted and with a X grip attached on the product description page.
  • Like 1

Dont know if you noticed they also have a ram mount ball that replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts for the super simple setup
  • Like 1

Stan, check the link below.  Or, copy/paste it.  The U bolt goes around the handlebar.  That part works well.  What I don't like about that combination is how the phone is gripped by the four fingers.  If the bike is dropped, I could see the phone coming out of there.   I think a good mod would be to put the phone in a hard case, then bolt that case to backing plate that has the gripping fingers. 

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-A-UN7U

• Like 1

Stan, check the link below.  Or, copy/paste it.  The U bolt goes around the handlebar.  That part works well.  What I don't like about that combination is how the phone is gripped by the four fingers.  If the bike is dropped, I could see the phone coming out of there.   I think a good mod would be to put the phone in a hard case, then bolt that case to backing plate that has the gripping fingers. 
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-A-UN7U

I crash, a lot. My phone has never come out of the X.

I crash, a lot. My phone has never come out of the X.
Do you use the safety strap thingy

after lots of research I have bought what I think will do the job Thanks for all of the input even weezers LOL!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huskydog14 said:

Thanks for all of the input even weezers LOL!!

Hey,  sometimes the cheap, simple things work.  At one point years ago I velcroed my GPS to my handlebar bag, and it worked great.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Hey,  sometimes the cheap, simple things work.  At one point years ago I velcroed my GPS to my handlebar bag, and it worked great.

I see you old guys talking about phone holders. .

this is probably the best one I've seen.

it's called the perfect squeeze. by hondo garage. made in USA.  they ain't cheap. $85+

I found it on advrider in the vendor area. 

a hose clamp run through some plexiglass with heavy duty velcro on it and the phone case would be pretty much run-into-tree proof though and cost about $10

perfect-squeeze.jpg

Edited by swamp123
  • Like 2

Better look me up if you make it our way. 
Are you in Bozeman now? I moved back to Butte in January. We should go ride!

On 7/12/2019 at 9:58 PM, Buttegal said:
On 7/5/2019 at 5:15 PM, Charles De Mar said:
Better look me up if you make it our way. 

Are you in Bozeman now? I moved back to Butte in January. We should go ride!

Yep. I have been back a year.