Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

On 6/1/2020 at 3:27 PM, Buttegal said:

The big mistake I made last year was being in a hurry and going through a muddy bog without choosing a good line. I got too deep and got stuck. It wore me out getting out of there. I'll be out there pretty much on my own. The women start after A and B men's classes. There were only six B women racing last year and we got spread out pretty quickly. So my plan is to take the time to stop and decide on a line when I need to. 

Good luck and have fun. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CoronaCarl said:

@dmac1

Capt Jack looks like a lot of fun. That just right mix of cruising with some slower technical stuff thrown in. And some nice scenery as well. That's right up my alley for trail style, I love a ride that has a nice destination/view.

Keep it up.

Thanks Carl!  The next part of the ride, up to Frostys, is good too!! Not quite.as scenic, but the techy spots are harder than whats on than Jacks. It'll be awhile before I get that vid done tho. Hard to draw myself away from the chaos on TV in our cities...and the bi-weekly SX racing needs watching too.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Enjoyed the video.  Where is Capt Jacks?

Its by Colo Springs. Our club adopted the trail a few years ago and did a clean up 2 weekends ago (30 bags of trash, 2 tires, a broken safe, mattress, and more) and last year we installed that restrictor that you can see at the start of my vid.

This is one of those trails where it helps to be plated (in addition to running OHV stickers) cuz the usual descent involves some scenic gravel roads. Its a very popular trail with hikers and MTBers as well and there are numerous other non-motorized trails in the area.

Heres the best overlook on the descent.

Overlook_1.9.1.jpg.e7c77dd5b910ac567a070b275b82e70b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Has anyone ever been blown over by a gust of wind? Happened to me for the first time on Sunday riding up to the top of Windy Hill ironically. I was riding across the mountain on a single track on a very steep slope standing up with no protection from trees or brush. All of a sudden a gust came up and I was down, luckily on the uphill side. Didn't have any time to react. If I would have fallen down the hill I would have tumbled down for a long ways. Obviously, the wind wouldn't have pushed me downhill, but it freaks me out riding on those types of trails. It was unnerving not to have any control over the fall.

IMG_1486.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Buttegal said:

Has anyone ever been blown over by a gust of wind? Happened to me for the first time on Sunday riding up to the top of Windy Hill ironically. I was riding across the mountain on a single track on a very steep slope standing up with no protection from trees or brush. All of a sudden a gust came up and I was down, luckily on the uphill side. Didn't have any time to react. If I would have fallen down the hill I would have tumbled down for a long ways. Obviously, the wind wouldn't have pushed me downhill, but it freaks me out riding on those types of trails. It was unnerving not to have any control over the fall.

IMG_1486.jpg

Sounds like you mighta been hit by a micro burst.

Yep, not me but my buddy, and we were standing still, brakes locked (MTB) and ready for the coming blast. I heard a clatter and looked up to see what was the matter :-).  My bud was down!

We were on Amasa Back near Moab and in one of those multi-day sandstorms I talked about awhile back (when Weez was in the winds near Montrose). Its was real windy, but you could hear the big blasts coming, so we'd stop and brace or pretty sure we'd have been blown off our bikes.

We were tent campin all week and our meals were just a tad gritty. LOL

Glad you didnt get knocked over the other way!

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Buttegal said:

IMG_1486.jpg

Glad you weren't hurt.   I wasn't blown down, but was blown sideways on a loose gravel road recently.  Almost into the ditch.   We were lucky at Montrose that the wind was pretty steady.  But I got hit with one of those sudden bursts in eastern Colorado on the way there when pulling my camper.  It pushed me partially into the opposite lane. Was good thing I wasn't meeting anyone.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 2:28 PM, Buttegal said:

I rode on some muddy clay once in New Mexico. If what you rode in is anything like that, I feel for ya. That was a pain in the a$s. I rode through quite a bit of mud yesterday, but we also had a lot of creek crossings so it washed off most of it.

I was training yesterday for my upcoming XC race this coming weekend. We rode single track for three hours and about 20 miles. Remember how I've been wanting to do this for a few years. I tried last year, but didn't finish because of muddy conditions where I suck at riding. So keep me in mind as I try it again. I have to finish a lap of 13 miles in two hours consisting of about 75% single track enduro type stuff and 25% two track. My goal is to finish even if I come in last place.

Yep, muddy clay's the worst, you never know when the back tire'll decide it wants to lead...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Yokomo said:

Weezer cpt jacks is off of gold camp rd by Co Springs.  

Sounds like there are several trails in that general area.  

It's gonna be a warm day, but looks like 2 or 3 of us from Wichita are going to school creek sat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Buttegal said:

Has anyone ever been blown over by a gust of wind? .

Yep...here in SoCal near the mountains, we routinely see 75-85mph winds...

20171207_092353.jpg

20171207_092352.jpg

thats the norm in ontario on the 15, i was getting close  to the back of a truck  trailer with caution, as gust hit, right tire lifted 2 feet off ground, plenty of view to back off way further, 2nd gust pushed it over so fast, the driver got knocked out, pickup in front of me, kicked out the windshield and shutdown the still running engine, we both got the driver out, he was ok feeling the effects from what happened, truckers are well informed when not to proceed into canyon wind conditions.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, xrjones said:

thats the norm in ontario on the 15, i was getting close  to the back of a truck  trailer with caution, as gust hit, right tire lifted 2 feet off ground, plenty of view to back off way further, 2nd gust pushed it over so fast, the driver got knocked out, pickup in front of me, kicked out the windshield and shutdown the still running engine, we both got the driver out, he was ok feeling the effects from what happened, truckers are well informed when not to proceed into canyon wind conditions.

I have been next to rigs in traffic when they lift up a wheel. Scary!!!

I took these pics in Fontana on the 210...

Edited by El Extremo

In Livingston, MT where I used to live, we had gusts that knocked semi trucks over. They had to close the interstate quite often. I never saw one go over, but saw several that had been blown over. I've ridden my street bike during very windy gusty areas which can be scary, but I hadn't ever gone down by gusts before last Sunday. It really was a crazy feeling. When you hit a rock or something, lose it, and wreck or just lay the bike over you at least have a few seconds to realize what's happening. Getting blown over seemed instant, just bam, and I was on the ground.

• Like 3

I GOT TO DO ABOUT 3 1/2 HOURS WORTH OF RIDING TODAY. THE WEATHER WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT LOW 80'S LOW HUMIDITY,AND NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.  WOOPS MUSTA HIT THE CAPS BUTTON. IF I DIDN'T HAVE GRASS TO CUT I'D STILL BE THERE ,BUT IT SUPPOSED TO GO INTO THE 90'S AND GET HUMID BY TUESDAY,I DON'T WANT TO BE OUT THERE THEN.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

IT SUPPOSED TO GO INTO THE 90'S AND GET HUMID BY TUESDAY,I DON'T WANT TO BE OUT THERE THEN.

Yep.  It's on it's on it's way east.  Got to Kansas couple of days ago.   School Creek was finally opened after last year's flood and we rode it yesterday.  By the time we loaded to come home our clothes were wet with sweat. 

They did a good job clearing the big stuff at SC, but in the year it wasn't used, the weeds, brush and tree limbs have about taken over.  And there is a lot of erosion.  The face shield on my new helmet got scratched pretty bad from riding through stuff.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 10:45 AM, Buttegal said:

Getting blown over seemed instant, just bam, and I was on the ground.

When something like that happens, it gives me a sense of just how insignificant we are in life.  Just one PUFF, and we could be gone!  But hey, we are still here!!

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, Buttegal said:

I have to finish a lap of 13 miles in two hours consisting of about 75% single track enduro type stuff and 25% two track. My goal is to finish even if I come in last place.

RIDE REPORT!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

RIDE REPORT!!

The Horse Creek race was today. I finished!  That was my only goal after last year when I didn't finish.  There were some trials, but I totally had a blast! On Friday, I thought I wasn't going to be able to race because my bike started sounding really rough all of a sudden while I was riding at a place on the way to the race. Turned out it was something simple... the exhaust pipe had come loose when the spring broke. We wired it back on and I was good to go. Then during the preride, I wrecked on a rock climb, and bent my shift lever into my case so that I couldn't shift. I had to limp back to the start in 2nd gear on the C course so I didn't get to preview all of the course. We bent the shift lever back out last night and I was good to go again... but it didn't last. It broke off about halfway through the race. Luckily, it still had enough that I could use the side of my boot to lift up the piece that was left.  The other thing was that it rained all night again...just like last year... which made it a muddy course again, but it actually makes me feel better for finishing this year. This year it was a 17 mile course where last year it was 13. And the best part... I didn't get hurt at all! I did fall over in a muddy bog so had mud from head to toe, but that was half the fun.

• Like 7
  • Helpful 2