Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

1 hour ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Kind of a last minute deal.  Packing to go to Crystal, Colo for a few days.  It's a ghost town, not even on some maps, and 5 miles from Marble, Colo.  No electricity or phone service.  Daughter's family rented a cabin and it has an extra bedroom, so we got invited.  Don't know if there are any single track trails in the area, but there are several jeep trails.  Not taking the bike, but will check out  the area in the jeep.

If you have time, drive over to Crested Butte for a lunch. Drive Kebler Pass. Wildflowers are spectacular right now...or were a week ago anyway. You will be on the fringe of Taylor Park. Got a trip there on the calendar for a couple months from now. Cant wait...been too long. Sargents next week. Stoked!!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

I've been over Kebler pass a couple of times.  Years ago we vacationed and skied at Crested Butte several times, and explored the area between there and Black Canyon of the Gunnision.  A beautiful area.  I plan to go over Scholfield pass to CB, then over Pearl Pass to Aspen.  We started over Pearl Pass once in 2002(?) But had a flat and turned around. I didn't want to continue on a donut spare tire. The videos of it reminds me of Imogene pass.   I think it connects with the trail to Taylor park.  Have fun at Sargents!  I may be going back there in August if I can sneak away from home.  Gotta go finish packing.  We are leaving early tomorrow. 

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

I've been over Kebler pass a couple of times.  Years ago we vacationed and skied at Crested Butte several times, and explored the area between there and Black Canyon of the Gunnision.  A beautiful area.  I plan to go over Scholfield pass to CB, then over Pearl Pass to Aspen.  We started over Pearl Pass once in 2002(?) But had a flat and turned around. I didn't want to continue on a donut spare tire. The videos of it reminds me of Imogene pass.   I think it connects with the trail to Taylor park.  Have fun at Sargents!  I may be going back there in August if I can sneak away from home.  Gotta go finish packing.  We are leaving early tomorrow. 

Don't be doin this in your Jeep Weez!  (start at 5:15 if ya wanna get right to the action).

Kebler is TONS more mellow.  Super spot for fall foliage as its got one of the largest groves of  aspen in the US and you drive right through it.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/scenic-drives/kebler-pass/

Yep, can dirt bike over Pearl...and Taylor Pass too.  I've not done em, but I wouldn't call either of em 'flowy'....or maybe that is appropo for Taylor cuz ya end up ridin in the creek! LOL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That guy was lucky he didn't break a bone in the fall.  And that water is COLD.  The cabin (off grid) we stayed in is on that creek about 3(?) Miles below where he fell.  I took the jeep up to that area, but turned around before crossing the bridge.  I decided not to do the Scholfield and Pearl Pass to Aspen, and loop back on the highway.   I figured it would take 8 to 10 hours in the jeep and No one would go with me.  And I had already done Scholfield in a Chevy Luv pickup in 1984.  It isn't the most difficult trail I have done, but honestly believe it is the most consistantly rough trail I have ever seen, from the top of the pass all the way down to the little town of Marble. It is constantly running over large rocks.  I did do the loop around around Sheep mountain and will post some pictures later.  It is a beautiful area.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Shocking video, rocky trails and cliffs not my idea of fun on a dirt bike. 

However, I would have no issue running that with our YFZ or LTZ and stop along the way for some fishing! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rod21 said:

Shocking video, rocky trails and cliffs not my idea of fun on a dirt bike. 

However, I would have no issue running that with our YFZ or LTZ and stop along the way for some fishing! 

Our cabin was on the road to Scholfield Pass.  The picture with two women sitting in front (wife and daughter) is where we stayed.  A few dirt bikes came by, but most were 4 wheelers, several Razors.  That would be the way to travel that road!  I am posting some photos of Crystal City (built in 1890s) and of the area around.  A family owns the whole town, except one house which is the nicest one in town, and have "kinda" fixed them up to rent out.  They are pretty rustic to say the least, but did have comfortable beds.  Our cabin had a propane range and refrigerator, and cold running water from a spring.  No electricity, no phone service, or WIFI.  IT WAS GREAT TO GET AWAY FROM THE NEWS OF THE DAY AND ROBO PHONE CALLS!  If you decide to go there you will need a high clearance vehicle, and hopefully 4wd, in case you have to back up a hill.  HA! there are very few places where 2 vehicles can pass each other.  It is 5 miles to the community of Marble and paved roads, and about 20 miles to nearest gas station.  The pict with the flag is main street Crystal City.  And you may have seen a picture of the mill which has been photographed for decades.  They hire an engineer to help keep it standing.

On the loop around Sheep mountain there was a huge avalanche that left a pile of trees in the bottom of a ravine, in the middle of the road.  The pictures don't show it, but it was so tight getting through that if my jeep had been 2 inches wider, I would have have bent a rocker panel or scratched some paint.  And the last section just before driving on the logs was actually ice about 4(?) ft deep.  That loop would be fun on a bike.  Only one section of it was very rocky, with more of it typical forest service road. 

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Our cabin was on the road to Scholfield Pass.  The picture with two women sitting in front (wife and daughter) is where we stayed.  A few dirt bikes came by, but most were 4 wheelers, several Razors.  That would be the way to travel that road!  I am posting some photos of Crystal City (built in 1890s) and of the area around.  A family owns the whole town, except one house which is the nicest one in town, and have "kinda" fixed them up to rent out.  They are pretty rustic to say the least, but did have comfortable beds.  Our cabin had a propane range and refrigerator, and cold running water from a spring.  No electricity, no phone service, or WIFI.  IT WAS GREAT TO GET AWAY FROM THE NEWS OF THE DAY AND ROBO PHONE CALLS!  If you decide to go there you will need a high clearance vehicle, and hopefully 4wd, in case you have to back up a hill.  HA! there are very few places where 2 vehicles can pass each other.  It is 5 miles to the community of Marble and paved roads, and about 20 miles to nearest gas station.  The pict with the flag is main street Crystal City.  And you may have seen a picture of the mill which has been photographed for decades.  They hire an engineer to help keep it standing.

On the loop around Sheep mountain there was a huge avalanche that left a pile of trees in the bottom of a ravine, in the middle of the road.  The pictures don't show it, but it was so tight getting through that if my jeep had been 2 inches wider, I would have have bent a rocker panel or scratched some paint.  And the last section just before driving on the logs was actually ice about 4(?) ft deep.  That loop would be fun on a bike.  Only one section of it was very rocky, with more of it typical forest service road. 

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

Freaking awesome ... looking for a vacation spot like that. Only prerequisites is we can ride, fish, and cabin availability. 

Wiff doesn't want to tent camp anymore :(

• Like 1

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

great pics Weezer Hope you all had a good time. 

• Like 1

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

Spectacular photos... reminds me of Scottish Highlands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

Before the internet opened the back country to the world and the Dems took over the state, we used to ride our dirtbikes from Marble to CB and around Sheep Mtn., then a support truck with gas, fresh gear and BBQ would meet us at one of the nearby picnic stops and we would enjoy the food and company. Used to have a great time on the mountain jeep roads! The Mill and the Punchbowl were two of my favorites along with American Flag Mtn and the Gondola atop Aspen Mtn where we could get a great meal too. Great Times!!

Edited by OldMechanik
  • Like 3

If you are planning on going to Colorado, and need a place to stay, call ahead for reservations.  I have never seen so many people in the mountains.  

• Helpful 2

great pics, ill be spending a couple weeks in colorado next month, divide, sargents, salida area, gunnison area, grand junction area, then moab area, had a feeling with deserts heating up, mountains would get populated, avalanches up alpine loop area were insanely deep from previous year, locals were calling them glaciers, late august were still moving debris with tree cutters and loaders, i planned to hit crystal from somewhere, got a 200 mile range on the xr, going to need that on some of my loops, have you guys been to the alpine tunnel? pitkin area, mining towns of tincup, st. elmo, bunch of high elevation passes.

• Like 3

heres pic from last year on top of keebler, heading to crested butte

summer tour 2019 037.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xrjones said:

great pics, ill be spending a couple weeks in colorado next month, divide, sargents, salida area, gunnison area, grand junction area, then moab area, had a feeling with deserts heating up, mountains would get populated, avalanches up alpine loop area were insanely deep from previous year, locals were calling them glaciers, late august were still moving debris with tree cutters and loaders, i planned to hit crystal from somewhere, got a 200 mile range on the xr, going to need that on some of my loops, have you guys been to the alpine tunnel? pitkin area, mining towns of tincup, st. elmo, bunch of high elevation passes.

I recall Tincup & St Elmo's. It's been 20 yrs or more, but I doubt they've changed much. We were riding DR 350S's back then.

RB 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RBrider said:

I recall Tincup & St Elmo's. It's been 20 yrs or more, but I doubt they've changed much. We were riding DR 350S's back then.

RB 

Yep...bout the same. Town on Tincup has a few hardy souls that stay year round I think.

Frenchys in Tincup:

IMG_0420.JPG.1dcdd5185c631dcb5bed41a0f4fe367a.JPG

St. Elmo

IMG_0428.JPG.63c2ee677970103754f81cde2ef90480.JPG

Mirror Lake just before the rocky part of Tincup Pass road (we had our CRFs back then):

IMG_0921.JPG.7824c2235d7b56b98ca7a65943ac4c9d.JPG

@xrjones Theres some mines on the roads on S side St. Elmo that are worth checkin out.

• Like 7

i hear the road is covered with rising lake levels from spring to mid summer sometimes, great pics, and thanks for your suggestions dmac

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xrjones said:

i hear the road is covered with rising lake levels from spring to mid summer sometimes, great pics, and thanks for your suggestions dmac

Yep, road ahead is under water. Emerges in distance kinda behind Michael's head. This was July, 2011, same trip as my previous Mirror Lake pic.

IMG_0923.JPG.25c3fbab4f74e588d390121ff7d6ca18.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xrjones said:

have you guys been to the alpine tunnel? pitkin area, mining towns of tincup, st. elmo, bunch of high elevation passes.

Pitkin has a gas station.  The only other gas in the area is at Sargents.  You probably know about 100 mile long Rainbow trail near Salida.  It's an interesting trail.  And connects to lots of other trails on the north end, west of hiway 285.  If you have time, the ride (jeep trail) (Mears Toll Road) to Bonanza is interesting and there is a huge mining  mill still standing there. Two years ago when we were there the road to alpine tunnel was closed.  Probably open now.  Hancock pass to St Elmo is a fun ride.  Be sure to do Monarch Crest (Continental divide) trail between Monarch pass and Marshall pass.  The first time we went through Tin Cup (1978) it was a complete ghost town, and I'm not sure anyone lived at Sargents at that time.  I know there were no businesses there.  I remember thinking it had potential.  

rainbow and columbine trails are on the list, pitkins gas pump ditto, have marshall listed for agate hunting, and agate creek trail, monarch sounds cool, ill check it out, also bonanza added to list, im hoping to loop both sides of the tunnel over tincup and hancock passes, i see camp grounds around pitkin, any suggestions for sargents area for camp?