Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, xrjones said:

any suggestions for sargents area for camp?

Other than RV park at Sargents, there is a campground about 7 miles north toward White Pine, which is another interesting revived ghost town.  And a few miles to the southeast up Marshall pass road is some national  forest area you can use.  And there may be some areas on the Sargents end of the Old Monarch pass road, but it would be on a rough dirt road.   That is an interesting way to get to Monarch pass without using the hiway.  It comes out by the Monarch ski area.  You can use that to do a loop over Monarch crest trail to Marshall pass and back to Sargents.  

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

Posted (edited)

Here is a pict of Tomichi pass you used to be be able to go over to Hancock pass and left to Pitkin, or right to St Elmo, from Sargents and White Pine.  There were some beautiful views from the top, but you can see the giant rock slide that happened about 3 years ago that closed the trail, probably forever.  You can see the overhang at the top that is still there and likely to  come down at any time, if it hasn't already.  Also one of trailrydr9 looking up at Tomichi pass, and eating a snack at a creek crossing somewhere SW of Sargents.  Don't remember the trail we were on.  Also the old mill at Bonanza that is still in amazingly good shape.B687CFCC-81D3-4CAB-A618-C39D4F7DD05D_1_201_a.jpeg.84a63d81f2b6f76cfa2e800d54071c6c.jpeg   

B16F42A3-8DF8-41F5-9C80-D20370477D01_1_201_a.jpeg

EC7286FE-9814-41DE-AC51-A88D71C948E1_1_201_a.jpeg

748A4A79-C702-4CBB-8726-BBD35398B056_1_201_a.jpeg

AD22BC92-E3A3-4E84-9E76-46F8207FA910.jpeg

39D23FAB-60E5-4AC2-99F9-11FD451F8EAB_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 5

the building does look like its in pretty good shape, considering the annual snow loads it has to endure, looks kind of like the alpine loop mill site, the sound democrat, sits at about 13,000 feet. all but 1 of the stamps are still intact, ended up hanging in the building during a pretty good downpour. ill see if i can find a place to camp around agate creek east of sargents, i would think they have fuel and ice available there, right?

3 hours ago, xrjones said:

i would think they have fuel and ice available there, right?

Right.  It is a small store, gas station and restaurant.  And as of 2 years ago the operator was a dirt bike rider familiar with the area.  We expect a full report of your ride!

When will you be there?  I may possibly be there for 2 or 3 days the week of Aug 9th.  

47 minutes ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

And as of 2 years ago the operator was a dirt bike rider familiar with the area.

Yon is still there. It was he who organized a shoveling party with a bunch of other dirt bikers so we could all get through the huge drift on Monarch Crest. Its hundreds of feet long and bypassing it isn't cool.

721457285_ShovellingDrift.thumb.jpg.90fdb97af11137c452b30f9eded3c017.jpg

611413871_ShovelledDrift.thumb.jpg.98bb74431f6b2820a2d1b76ff35f03dd.jpg

If ya get any grief from MTBers up there (I found them and hikers usually grumpy) ask em if they know who cleared the drift and all the downed trees on all the trails every year....likely they don't know.

Answer is, moto guys do it every year. Maybe that'll change their attitudes...a little anyway.

Below are my pics of the drift from last week's trip. Amazing how much its shrunk in the 2 weeks!. My second pic is of it on the descent.

1195403418_MeltedDrift_1.1.1.jpg.b09eb767f0981e14408052b3128b8c38.jpg

1766466956_MeltedDriftDescent_1.2.1.jpg.e7cf162f34b5123f34d689f47133b9af.jpg

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, dmac1 said:

Yon is still there. It was he who organized a shoveling party with a bunch of other dirt bikers so we could all get through the huge drift on Monarch Crest. Its hundreds of feet long and bypassing it isn't cool.

721457285_ShovellingDrift.thumb.jpg.90fdb97af11137c452b30f9eded3c017.jpg

611413871_ShovelledDrift.thumb.jpg.98bb74431f6b2820a2d1b76ff35f03dd.jpg

If ya get any grief from MTBers up there (I found them and hikers usually grumpy) ask em if they know who cleared the drift and all the downed trees on all the trails every year....likely they don't know.

Answer is, moto guys do it every year. Maybe that'll change their attitudes...a little anyway.

Below are my pics of the drift from last week's trip. Amazing how much its shrunk in the 2 weeks!. My second pic is of it on the descent.

1195403418_MeltedDrift_1.1.1.jpg.b09eb767f0981e14408052b3128b8c38.jpg

1766466956_MeltedDriftDescent_1.2.1.jpg.e7cf162f34b5123f34d689f47133b9af.jpg

I've been on many of the trails in Taylor Park area in July that were just like that I quit going in July and started going in August LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, Weezer the Geezer said:

Our cabin was on the road to Scholfield Pass.  The picture with two women sitting in front (wife and daughter) is where we stayed.  A few dirt bikes came by, but most were 4 wheelers, several Razors.  That would be the way to travel that road!  I am posting some photos of Crystal City (built in 1890s) and of the area around.  A family owns the whole town, except one house which is the nicest one in town, and have "kinda" fixed them up to rent out.  They are pretty rustic to say the least, but did have comfortable beds.  Our cabin had a propane range and refrigerator, and cold running water from a spring.  No electricity, no phone service, or WIFI.  IT WAS GREAT TO GET AWAY FROM THE NEWS OF THE DAY AND ROBO PHONE CALLS!  If you decide to go there you will need a high clearance vehicle, and hopefully 4wd, in case you have to back up a hill.  HA! there are very few places where 2 vehicles can pass each other.  It is 5 miles to the community of Marble and paved roads, and about 20 miles to nearest gas station.  The pict with the flag is main street Crystal City.  And you may have seen a picture of the mill which has been photographed for decades.  They hire an engineer to help keep it standing.

On the loop around Sheep mountain there was a huge avalanche that left a pile of trees in the bottom of a ravine, in the middle of the road.  The pictures don't show it, but it was so tight getting through that if my jeep had been 2 inches wider, I would have have bent a rocker panel or scratched some paint.  And the last section just before driving on the logs was actually ice about 4(?) ft deep.  That loop would be fun on a bike.  Only one section of it was very rocky, with more of it typical forest service road. 

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

Wow, that area looks killer. 

• Like 1

Had another epic weekend, this time with Rev It Up Girls Riding Club near Palisades Resevoir in southern Idaho on the Wyoming border. Half of the gals were on quads or razors and the other half on dirt bikes. We did a ride Saturday up a rocky road with everyone, then two of us split off on singletrack. We rode up to a point with absolutely amazing 360 degree views. We could see one of the peaks in the Tetons. The trail was rocky, but not super technical. As we went down we went through the forest on some twisty fun stuff. We came out at the creek and the trail followed the creek the rest of the way out. We alternated  crisscrossing the river about 6 times and following the trail up above on skinny exposed trail overlooking the creek for about 8 miles. This was where we got into trouble. My friend went off the downhill side of the trail three times! We managed to get her bike back up on the trail the first two times .... exhausting work for just the two of us. The third time she went down, she busted her chain. We had 4 miles to go to get back to the road. Thank God she didn't get hurt, but we didn't have a masterlink so couldn't fix it ourselves. It's too long of a story to tell, but the recovery included me riding out to get help, a guy double riding her out, double riding her back in on Sunday, a dunk in the creek and having to take out the plug, a guy getting oil shot in his face as we turned over the bike, a masterlink not fitting the chain, and another trip necessary tomorrow to recover the bike after the shops open. Throughout it all we were still joking and I returned to Montana with newly formed friends.

IMG_20200711_131248477.jpg

received_211035406822781.jpeg

received_2320888878214083.jpeg

received_712399956160141.jpeg

received_743188409788816.jpeg

received_719266498864792.jpeg

received_3028019123984557.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

HA!  You should have known that riding with the devil (666) is bad karma!  But it was great scenery.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Did your friend have the keeper on the master link backwards?   I learned that lesson the hard way in 1971 on Black Bear pass in Colo.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

19 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Right.  It is a small store, gas station and restaurant.  And as of 2 years ago the operator was a dirt bike rider familiar with the area.  We expect a full report of your ride!

When will you be there?  I may possibly be there for 2 or 3 days the week of Aug 9th.  

sweet, i might spend a week in the area, ill have a better idea when i can get there closer to the end of month, im rolling on the first, flagstaff first night, holbrook second, follow the divide up zigging and zagging, it will be close

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Did your friend have the keeper on the master link backwards?   I learned that lesson the hard way in 1971 on Black Bear pass in Colo.

Who knows. It's quite possible as she had just bought the bike for the club for other women to learn to ride. It wasn't her regular bike.

Edited by Buttegal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, xrjones said:

sweet, i might spend a week in the area, ill have a better idea when i can get there closer to the end of month, im rolling on the first, flagstaff first night, holbrook second, follow the divide up zigging and zagging, it will be close

A friend is riding out of Sargents the week of Aug 9th.  I plan to join him for 3 days.

Going to give it a go tomorrow at my private spot I am taking a guy from Cinti out to give it a go It's gonna be a hot one mid to upper 90's and humidity at a high rate putting the heat index to around 110 degrees farenheit

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huskydog14 said:

Going to give it a go tomorrow at my private spot I am taking a guy from Cinti out to give it a go It's gonna be a hot one mid to upper 90's and humidity at a high rate putting the heat index to around 110 degrees farenheit

Enjoy it as long as ya can!

We used to go rock climbing all summer long in Missouri (year round actually) and there were lotsa days with temps like you describe. Full sun exposure too. We wanted to climb, so we dealt with it as long as we could stand it.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:42 AM, Huskydog14 said:

Was cleaning my shop during a thunderstorm (otherwise I'd be out setting fence posts) when I turned on our local sports radio channel. A NASCAR race from TX is on. Its pretty hot down there...they were talkin driver hydration and sd they can lose 8-10 lbs during a race like this one. I was thinking, thats about 1 -1 1/4 gallons sweat. Thats alot, but what really registered with me was temp in the cars. They got a reading from one and it was 136!  AND , they are sitting inside a fire suit and helmet and everything. Pretty tough conditions!!

At least when its hot dirt bikin we can often stop under some shade amd try to cool off!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmac1 said:

Was cleaning my shop during a thunderstorm (otherwise I'd be out setting fence posts) when I turned on our local sports radio channel. A NASCAR race from TX is on. Its pretty hot down there...they were talkin driver hydration and sd they can lose 8-10 lbs during a race like this one. I was thinking, thats about 1 -1 1/4 gallons sweat. Thats alot, but what really registered with me was temp in the cars. They got a reading from one and it was 136!  AND , they are sitting inside a fire suit and helmet and everything. Pretty tough conditions!!

At least when its hot dirt bikin we can often stop under some shade amd try to cool off!

We got 6 hours in today but paying for it now fighting off leg cramps But we had a blast It was so freaking hot drank so much water but never had to pee LOL!!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

We got 6 hours in today but paying for it now fighting off leg cramps But we had a blast It was so freaking hot drank so much water but never had to pee LOL!!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but you drank too much water. As in, you needed something with electrolytes and such in it. 

When it's hot out I usually mix 3:1 or so in my hydration bag. That's 3 parts water to 1 part gatorade, or whatever your drink of choice is. Sometimes I'll even go 2:1.

Never had leg cramps from the heat, but then again I never have had leg cramps from "dehydration" and I've suffered from heat exhaustion before.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Hey dmac1, what section of Rainbow trail did you do in 2018?  That looks like an easy, fast section in the video.

Today I watched a video TOMICHI PASS, CANYON CREEK TRAIL SWITCH BACKS.  That section directly west of Tomichi Pass going up on top is a booger.  Don't think I will be attempting that one, or Horse shoe trail.  But Canyon creek looks decent.  I'm getting soft in my old age.