"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

BG, if you make it here to mojave desert, ill put your solar stuff to your needs together and install for free, weezers seen my setup, only difference between you and my setup, mine is open garage, you need comfort, im running a 100 quart  dometic freezer, making ice for first time ever, but that dosent always work, t-storms, colorado smoke, trees, equals backup 2000 watt handheld generator, youll probably get this figured out, but if  you need help, its easy to  do your self, i can help if needed, from there, or here. i talked to jim and jeff about husky monument, will post a pic, legendary mojave destination, to ride to.

• Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, xrjones said:

BG, if you make it here to mojave desert, ill put your solar stuff to your needs together and install for free, weezers seen my setup, only difference between you and my setup, mine is open garage, you need comfort, im running a 100 quart  dometic freezer, making ice for first time ever, but that dosent always work, t-storms, colorado smoke, trees, equals backup 2000 watt handheld generator, youll probably get this figured out, but if  you need help, its easy to  do your self, i can help if needed, from there, or here. i talked to jim and jeff about husky monument, will post a pic, legendary mojave destination, to ride to.

Thanks for the offer. I've got a system worked out including solar and generator, but haven't bought the batteries or panels, yet. I may ask for your advice when I get closer. The solar panels will be last to be purchased so probably not till next summer.

pic just entering black canyon, and arrival at husky monument, pic is older, bob usually takes control, my dad is interred within a memorial 5' below in a welded vault, we celebrate his june 5th birthday every year, hot or not, alot of jet crash poinjts of interest, edwards is next door constantly testing our tax dollars.

ride with bob and for sale stuff 025.JPG

ride with bob and for sale stuff 027.JPG

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, xrjones said:

Do you have a favorite charge controller? My entire system is Renogy, but the charge controller has a flaw in that it doesnt show proper battery charge level. Its a known issue, and Renogy wont address it cuz they say it works fine, just use multi-meter if want assurance on charge. Its an MPPT charge controller and I have 200 watts of panels wired parallel.

im running a separate 1000 watt inverter from a well known buy it now site, it gives load voltages in digital read out, also got usb and lighter socket unified hub for recharging, also has volt readout, volt meter will give same current condition, but each of these will enhance and give current state.  after new tires in albuquerque, my alternator went down, first time i realized, my old diesel would continue on solar, a drop form 14.5, to 13, still good, hit next auto parts place to replace alternator, but cool to see.

2 hours ago, xrjones said:

also with high temps think system lost some output, still in reasonable opreation range, is your controller not giving rated output? if so, which one do you have, im renogy too.

I have a Rover 30A MPPT controller and a 700W pure sine wave inverter that powers my charging station for GoPro, phone, drone and whatever else. I run 2 switchable LEDS for lighting and a DC fridge/freezer straight off the battery. The main draw is the fridge/freezer.

I think the charge controller is charging ok, but I need to take volt meter to confirm next trip, (late next week).The dc fridge/freezer was added last spring along with the second panel and this controller replaced my original, so about 1/2 the system is pretty new.

The issue is the controller screen says battery at low % of charge (and/or it jumps around from 100% to much less) but voltmeter says fully charged. Known issue per Renogy...just readout screen inaccurate. I noticed this a couple trips ago, but havent had time to diag more. I am no electrical engineer...spent alot of time reading HowTo stuff to get to this point.

Edited by dmac1

8 hours ago, dmac1 said:

I have a Rover 30A MPPT controller and a 700W pure sine wave inverter that powers my charging station for GoPro, phone, drone and whatever else. I run 2 switchable LEDS for lighting and a DC fridge/freezer straight off the battery. The main draw is the fridge/freezer.

I think the charge controller is charging ok, but I need to take volt meter to confirm next trip, (late next week).The dc fridge/freezer was added last spring along with the second panel and this controller replaced my original, so about 1/2 the system is pretty new.

The issue is the controller screen says battery at low % of charge (and/or it jumps around from 100% to much less) but voltmeter says fully charged. Known issue per Renogy...just readout screen inaccurate. I noticed this a couple trips ago, but havent had time to diag more. I am no electrical engineer...spent alot of time reading HowTo stuff to get to this point.

how many amps does fridge use with compressor running? and what wire size do you have going to it, ive thought about maybe putting a amp gauge near battery to monitor real time draw and load, mine is supposed to run 9 amps, got 2 group 31 batteries, 3 100 watt panels, with 4th to be added, up in the mountains with trees shading panels, its usually good, showing fully charge recovery by noonish, lower elevations were hot and i would add a little am generator time, but freezer temps were still good, i probably will add  the amp meter when i do the 4th panel to confirm operation of controller. i have the wanderer controller.

Edited by xrjones

6 hours ago, xrjones said:

how many amps does fridge use with compressor running? and what wire size do you have going to it, ive thought about maybe putting a amp gauge near battery to monitor real time draw and load, mine is supposed to run 9 amps, got 2 group 31 batteries, 3 100 watt panels, with 4th to be added, up in the mountains with trees shading panels, its usually good, showing fully charge recovery by noonish, lower elevations were hot and i would add a little am generator time, but freezer temps were still good, i probably will add  the amp meter when i do the 4th panel to confirm operation of controller. i have the wanderer controller.

We should prolly go to PMs after this for system comparison, eval, etc. If others are interested in participating, reading, please say so and we can include you.

The specs say .85 amps/hour. It depends upon how warm it is in surrounding air and how cold its set to, but that was in 79-88 degree environment.

The provided DC wire (they give ya AC too, diff plugs for each on unit) is 10 AWG. I have it fused and wired straight to battery. My calcs (presuming I didnt mess up or get BS data from controller) were that it draws about 30-35W, and 12V, so ~3amp, which is about 10% of what 10AWG can carry. I'd like to double check everything...some sorta gauge like you're talking would be great! Got any recommendations?

Been prepping for next trip. I got invited to another dual sport camping/exploring trip with same guys plus more as from North Rim of Grand Canyon. This time, to SE Utah.

Here is test load #1.  Tryin to remember how to get all this stuff on my bike. The orangish external dry bag will get more stuff, and more will go into the main bike luggage too, but most of the big stuff is in.

20201002_124750.jpg.d2531b4b07f89cd5fb817feeb65dbfc5.jpg

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, dmac1 said:

Been prepping for next trip. I got invited to another dual sport camping/exploring trip with same guys plus more as from North Rim of Grand Canyon. This time, to SE Utah.

Here is test load #1.  Tryin to remember how to get all this stuff on my bike. The orangish external dry bag will get more stuff, and more will go into the main bike luggage too, but most of the big stuff is in.

I don't think I've ever seen you talk about your overnight/week long setup. Man you really pack it on there.

I had a tank bag on my bike for awhile but took it off. Didn't like the way it kept me from really sliding up on the seat and interfered with standing. I had to stand up and go bowlegged to get forward enough at times.

Hopefully next year, late spring early summer, me and the boys will be running the WABDR. We need to figure out what and how to pack everything.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dmac1 said:

We should prolly go to PMs after this for system comparison, eval, etc. If others are interested in participating, reading, please say so and we can include you.

The specs say .85 amps/hour. It depends upon how warm it is in surrounding air and how cold its set to, but that was in 79-88 degree environment.

The provided DC wire (they give ya AC too, diff plugs for each on unit) is 10 AWG. I have it fused and wired straight to battery. My calcs (presuming I didnt mess up or get BS data from controller) were that it draws about 30-35W, and 12V, so ~3amp, which is about 10% of what 10AWG can carry. I'd like to double check everything...some sorta gauge like you're talking would be great! Got any recommendations?

Wow that's a lot of bags, I like the saddle bags myself but I have never tried to carry that much stuff I'm sure on a trip like you mentioned that I would need a few more bags as well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CoronaCarl said:

I don't think I've ever seen you talk about your overnight/week long setup. Man you really pack it on there.

I had a tank bag on my bike for awhile but took it off. Didn't like the way it kept me from really sliding up on the seat and interfered with standing. I had to stand up and go bowlegged to get forward enough at times.

Hopefully next year, late spring early summer, me and the boys will be running the WABDR. We need to figure out what and how to pack everything.

I havent talked about the setup previously, maybe posted an image in RM forum.

All of the luggage presents performance issues for sure, but when ya gotta carry everything (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, chair, cook equip (jet boil), food for mult days, street clothes, shoes, warm gear, waterproof gear, food, water amd all your regular rising stuff) it adds up!

The camping gear I'm using is all light weight, backpacking style stuff. My bag is normal sized mummy, but its in a compression sack, so very compact.

I'd love to learn how others do it better...doing multiday trip with your boys should be a blast! I havent done one yet with Michael, but its partly why we still have his 450 (same bike as mine=2006 EXC.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

Wow that's a lot of bags, I like the saddle bags myself but I have never tried to carry that much stuff I'm sure on a trip like you mentioned that I would need a few more bags as well.

The main luggage (on rear) is an older Giantloop Coyote. It has a zipper closure, which is a pita when stuffed. I think the newer one and/or the AltRider version has a dry bag style closure (kinda a roll top). One of the guys has both and likes dry bag style best.

The AltRider tank bag is really nice. Pretty big, has easy access, not too much in the way and has a waterproof inside roll top bag (I've not tested and dont wanna!) and the whole thing zips off from a harness, so if going into a restaurant or motel or something, ez to take in with valuables inside.

I've got a 4 gallon Safari tank, thus range is around 200 miles. Wish I had a clear tank, but doesnt really matter.

Of course, I'll also have my biggest Camelbak full of 2 water bladders and other normal riding stuff and I'll have an ADV style riding jacket for chilly days. It'll strap on top of the load in rear if not wearing.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, xrjones said:

i agree about pm the further solar conversations, hate to take away from weezers perpetual entertainment thread, will contact a little later dmac

My concern is the thread being sent to TOWN HALL for being off topic, like what happened to the senior thread.  

Have another Flint Hills ride scheduled for Sunday.  It's supposed to be a beautiful day.  Gonna have to do the first repair job on the Beta due to normal wear.  Fork seal is leaking.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, kcposty said:

Found a little fun today.  House hunting and even marked 2 lane stuff. 

I forgot how nice juniper and sage smell when brushing past. Beautiful day.

20201002_130223.jpg

20201002_134934.jpg

Good luck house hunting.  What tire are you running on the back of your bike?  I like that tread pattern.  Looks like would be good for dual sport riding.