Jump to content
Weezer the Geezer

"OVER THE HILL" (and seasoned) TRAIL RIDERS exchange

Recommended Posts

Record setting cold, snow, ice in Kansas last 2 days, but a good forcast for the weekend.   Hope to do the 100 mile ride in the Flint Hills we had planned earlier.  Replaced the leaking fork seals and removed the 2" lowering kit on the front.  By sliding the forks up in the triple tree, it only raised my seat about half an inch.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are getting 3 inches of rain today but the weekend is supposed to be nice might be the last chance to get a ride in before we get snow here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some more picts of the Kansas Flint Hills region.  There is quite the variety of things to see.  We "dual sported" 114 miles today, and crossed one bridge that had been abandoned.  It saved us from having to do some back tracking.  The iron sculptures were on the highway to where we staged the ride.  And speaking of iron, there is enough scrap iron on abandoned farms and oil fields in Kansas to build several aircraft carriers.

 

 

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pictures.

I've always wondered if the "outdated" in America farm and other equipment that sits unused in fields and lots all over the country could be collected and transported to a 3rd world country profitably. Maybe just focus on Cats or John Deere.

Edited by kcposty
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Here are some more picts of the Kansas Flint Hills region.  There is quite the variety of things to see.  We "dual sported" 114 miles today, and crossed one bridge that had been abandoned.  It saved us from having to do some back tracking.  The iron sculptures were on the highway to where we staged the ride.  And speaking of iron, there is enough scrap iron on abandoned farms and oil fields in Kansas to build several aircraft carriers.

 

 

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

Those are great pics...    was the route something you picked out ?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1trackmind said:

Took a ride with my son on Friday. 

75CD8ACA-1BC4-4458-99EA-3AF348679B97.jpeg

CA50272A-F997-478A-B01D-A35732E7FA34.jpeg

0A219904-EE51-42F0-B754-A154D0A4A2CE.jpeg

9C3EA1A4-20FD-4067-AEA9-B2B3D9D39EB5.jpeg

3A3BAFC7-72D9-4F89-AC79-1D00BB0C1A64.jpeg

where's that at in Utah ?  Nice pics

10 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Here are some more picts of the Kansas Flint Hills region.  There is quite the variety of things to see.  We "dual sported" 114 miles today, and crossed one bridge that had been abandoned.  It saved us from having to do some back tracking.  The iron sculptures were on the highway to where we staged the ride.  And speaking of iron, there is enough scrap iron on abandoned farms and oil fields in Kansas to build several aircraft carriers.

 

 

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

Great pics Weez

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoBs said:

Those are great pics...    was the route something you picked out ?  

Thanks!  Now that I am retired I spend hours using Google Earth Pro, and Google Maps with contour feature to scout out interesting places to ride.  My Samsung tablet with the maps pinpoint your exact location and is really handy when out in the boonies.  And I have borrowed some maps from a dual sport group that rides Kansas.  But they do some highway riding.  We try to stay completely off pavement, which isn't too hard to do in Kansas when you get away from urban areas.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might add that earlier this year I used the maps to plan routes in Colorado, and am working on a ride in the relatively little used area between Moab, Ut. and Gateway, Colo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kcposty said:

Great pictures.

I've always wondered if the "outdated" in America farm and other equipment that sits unused in fields and lots all over the country could be collected and transported to a 3rd world country profitably. Maybe just focus on Cats or John Deere.

 

And if all of the unusable was collected and melted down, it would save a lot of mining.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskydog14 said:

where's that at in Utah ?  Nice pics

Great pics Weez

Thanks. The pictures are East of Vernal, Utah. The river picture is the Green River near Jensen and Split Mountain. The mountain pictures are on Blue Mountain, very near the Colorado border.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1trackmind said:

Thanks. The pictures are East of Vernal, Utah. The river picture is the Green River near Jensen and Split Mountain. The mountain pictures are on Blue Mountain, very near the Colorado border.

ive ridden that area near dinosaur, love the views along the green, and weezer more awsome pics! some talented welding yard art!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

I might add that earlier this year I used the maps to plan routes in Colorado, and am working on a ride in the relatively little used area between Moab, Ut. and Gateway, Colo.

I've been kicking around in the general area. You should check out the Tabeguache or Rimrocker trails that can be found on COTREX.  Looks like similar routes should be possible in the Gateway area.  Went hiking in Escalante Canyon to see these Sunday. 

20201101_114602.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kcposty said:

I've been kicking around in the general area. You should check out the Tabeguache or Rimrocker trails that can be found on COTREX.  Looks like similar routes should be possible in the Gateway area.  Went hiking in Escalante Canyon to see these Sunday. 

20201101_114602.jpg

18 hrs 34 minutes to Escalante Canyon........

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

18 hrs 34 minutes to Escalante Canyon........

Older section same area.

Alas, my western sojourn comes to a temporary end this week.  Future welcome.

20201103_001539.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...