Tell me about the reliability of your OIL INJECTION system

Condenser cut due to corrosion. 

Speedo was flickering but didn't catch it because I thought new speedo (replaced 10 hours before on warranty) was faulty. 

Engine seized. 

Everything was replaced on warranty. 

Installed 2018 style condenser, diodes group (different insulation) and bracket. 

2017 RR300 @ 55 hours... 

System now works OK but I haven't decided yet if I will keep it or ditch it. 

Edited by dirtbird

I have one on my 18' 300re. So far so good. The 18's come with new diodes and capacitors that are sealed better. Beta sent out new ones for the 17' and older bikes. I actually bought the ones from two ride that are epoxy sealed, lifetime guarantee. 

• Like 2

See my post below. The injection nipple came loose from the boot.

I grew up on 2 strokes but have been on 4 strokes since 2010. It will be like old times mixing oil again. Plus the XT ran like crap with Klotz in the oil tank. Even with 710 it had a top end sputter that would only clean out in the upper gears no matter how lean I dropped the main. I suspect that was an injection issue as well.

• Like 1

I didn't buy my 17 Xtrainer specifically for the oil injection, but Im leaving it on unless I have an issue. Im not against premix, I have other bikes that use it. After I bought it last year and started reading the reviews and horror stories people had posted here and on other forums I was tempted to ditch it. I decided to roll with it and so far so good. My dealer sent me the updated diode and capacitor and when I swapped them out the originals looked new. I ride really rough single track and ride year round in all weather. I think if you do your due diligence you have a better chance of not having issues. Bike runs clean, no problems anywhere in the rpm range. I went ahead and plated it just incase I wanted to connect some trails, but 99% of its life has been off road. This is just my experience, your mileage may vary.

• Like 4

Only 24 hrs on my 2017 Xtrainer since last October. No issues. The little yellow warning light works. Ran somewhat low, and it warned me. I forgot to fill after third tank of gas. Rode to the local powersport store from thew trail an bought a liter, filled the tank, and off I went. No problems. Hope it works forever.

• Like 1

I LOVE the oil injection with the exception of the ulcer that I have when I read threads like this. If you base your opinion on the people with bad experiences you will sell all your bikes and sit on the floor in a dark room clutching your knees to your chest and talking to yourself. 

After saying that, I have a good OI story from last week. 

I was with a group of guys in Moab. We were in the middle of a run called Prichett Canyon and I had parked my bike to spot some guys in a difficult area. One of the guys behind me decided to take a line on a little ledge about 5 feet off the canyon floor. The line got him above my bike and around me till his tank clipped a rock on the canyon wall and fell off the "ledge" directly on top of the RR! (By the way that is the only way for the KTM to come out on top in a head to head match up). It knocked my bike down and jacked up my brakes and my new plastics but was otherwise ok till I started it. When I started it the OI light came on.... We were a couple hours from town in the bottom of a canyon of extreme terrain so towing was out of the question. None of the guys could of made it out and back to get oil in time to be home before dark. Sooooo, I just drove it out. Puckered all the way. I stopped every few miles to make sure oil was in the tube and had someone behind me to make sure I was still smoking but it was no fun. 

I think that somehow it just did something electrical because it was working that night, but in the mean time I was REAL nervous. If I had been carrying oil I would of dropped some in the tank but why carry when you have OI. I guess the moral to the story is that working OI can be as much of a pain as no OI even though it's awesome.... Good luck. I would say that if you get one just don't read OI threads and you will probably be fine. ?

• Like 10

I understand all the reasons for giving up OI and I do not mind mixing gas but I know me and I know I will take off without oil in my backpack or I will forget that I used the bottle in the tool box and will be in trouble. I am the only 2t rider in our group and we regularly plan 100+ mile loops on our trips so we always top off if we can find a gas station. Even with the best of intentions I forget, all the time. The OI is good for 2-3 tanks and I always remember in that amount of ride time. 

So here is my plan for this next winter. Delete the OI and leave the tank. I will install an oil line in the bottom of the oil tank and run it into the air box. Then I will put a valve on the end of the oil line so I always have oil on the bike. Then I will pre-mix. If I am ever caught needing to top off or steal gas from my gas sipping 4t friends I can keep a small pill bottle under my seat and meter out the amount of oil I need, mix it up, and brappppp. One tank would last an entire season for the few occasions that I need it. 

This would be excessive for those of you that have been mixing your whole life, or if you are the guy that torques all the bolts on your bike before you leave the garage, however I am very forgetful and get the worst mileage of anyone in our group (for several reasons). If I don't find myself needing it I can convert it to a small keg and put a tap on the air box cover.?

• Like 2

26 hrs on my '17 XT, no issues. I did reinforce the nipple area with silicone. When Irma came thru last year(I'm in Sarasota), I realized in an emergency/ evacuation scenario, o.i definitely has it's advantages. It stays for now. I will consider the '18 upgrade for the diodes.

YMMV. 

XT motor drank some silthy water. New bottom end and jug. OI never failed.

Like any other system, after ride inspection should include topping off the oil tank and checking the tube.

Never had to mix, don't why I would start to now.

100% would get OI again.

Can't wait for jetting to go away.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TimR said:

I have one on my 18' 300re. So far so good. The 18's come with new diodes and capacitors that are sealed better. Beta sent out new ones for the 17' and older bikes. I actually bought the ones from two ride that are epoxy sealed, lifetime guarantee. 

I bought an updated diode and was much better in water proofing. This should eliminate some of the worries.

14 hours ago, RELIC said:

I didn't buy my 17 Xtrainer specifically for the oil injection, but Im leaving it on unless I have an issue. Im not against premix, I have other bikes that use it. After I bought it last year and started reading the reviews and horror stories people had posted here and on other forums I was tempted to ditch it. I decided to roll with it and so far so good. My dealer sent me the updated diode and capacitor and when I swapped them out the originals looked new. I ride really rough single track and ride year round in all weather. I think if you do your due diligence you have a better chance of not having issues. Bike runs clean, no problems anywhere in the rpm range. I went ahead and plated it just incase I wanted to connect some trails, but 99% of its life has been off road. This is just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Due diligence is the key here. Same goes with Beta's connections, T stat housing and other proper set-up items.

14 hours ago, Mckay said:

Mine is 100% reliable, as it sits in a box in my garage. Took it off because its one thing you cant fix on-trail. (never had an issue with it though)

Removed it and installed a Lectron, bike is heaven now.

Can't fix it on the trail?? Sure you can, add oil to your gas via the hose from your tank vent if the need arises.

So far our Xt's OI is working and will not be removing anytime soon. One of the reasons we bought the bike was for the OI. I do my prep every year as well as during the season keeping me out of trouble. Bike runs good and clean from idle to WOT.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ToolmanJohn said:

Only 24 hrs on my 2017 Xtrainer since last October. No issues. The little yellow warning light works. Ran somewhat low, and it warned me. I forgot to fill after third tank of gas. Rode to the local powersport store from thew trail an bought a liter, filled the tank, and off I went. No problems. Hope it works forever.

I have run low a couple times (user error) and decided I don't trust myself and I don't like the unease these threads give me. It's easy to premix and I was already accustomed to it with my old bikes so I'm pulling the OI (still got the bike in pieces from doing this).

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 9:01 AM, THE KRAN said:

...cause I like the idea of it, and want to try a two stroke from Beta.

KRAN,  your a technical guy by trade, so should have an eye for the obvious.  Ask yourself if you would like your 4stroke to have an external electric oil pump with added complexity and plumbing instead of the simple reliable one that works now.   The new diodes and cap may fix the power supply issues, but its still plumbed like an aquarium with that shitty fitting in the manifold.  My prediction is there will still be engine failures on the '18s related to this.  Probably fewer, but needless failures none the less.

• Like 6