Flexx bars

I'm an avid motocross and trail rider that just got my first trials bike. My question is: Has anyone tried flexx bars on a trials bike? I have an old wrist injury and run flexx bars on all my dirt bikes. I'm not sure about putting them on a trials bike though. I've ridden it a few times with the stock bars, and my wrist is sore after a little while. Any thoughts on this?

On 4/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, 7FIFTY2 said:

I'm an avid motocross and trail rider that just got my first trials bike. My question is: Has anyone tried flexx bars on a trials bike? I have an old wrist injury and run flexx bars on all my dirt bikes. I'm not sure about putting them on a trials bike though. I've ridden it a few times with the stock bars, and my wrist is sore after a little while. Any thoughts on this?

You might think of trying a different bend. I have a really bad right wrist with horrible range of motion (navicular bone). I find less sweep in the bar bend really helps. A simple test is to roll your bars forward. See if that helps.

I cannot imagine any bike without Flexx Bars for me. I guess if you can find a Flexx Bars bend you like it would work. You can always use the stiffer inserts for more feedback. Call up Fasst Company and see what they have for you. All those guys ride and can really hep getting you the right bend.

After you choose your bend have Jeff (Jeff aka Bolt) order them for you :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Given how the bars are used for many maneuvers in trials (wheel hops, compressing suspension, etc), wouldn't flexx bars rob some of the input to the bike? 

No, because the trials bike is so light.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:12 PM, markbfe501 said:

Given how the bars are used for many maneuvers in trials (wheel hops, compressing suspension, etc), wouldn't flexx bars rob some of the input to the bike? 

I don't think it'd make a noticeable difference. Besides, properly compressing the suspension is more in the knees not the bars. The only thing I could see there being a lot of pressure on the bars would be bouncing around on the rear wheel. 

Most of your soreness is most likely due to the fact that your new to trials and riding tight or not the proper stance. We've all been there! I have a really messed up wrist and if I don't ride for awhile then get back on the bike it gets sore fast. When I ride constantly it doesn't bother me at all. 

I also remember when Ineas new to trials and would try to set it up more like a dirt bike. Avoid that temptation! While some things may seem more comfortable they will be a hindrance in the long run and actually hurt the handling of the bike. 

Flex bars don't have a trials bend, are very heavy for a trials bike and I think you would  lose some of the front end feel you will lerN to need. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've run Flexx Bars on my enduro bikes for 12 years and just put the Flexx MTB bars on my Fat Bike.  I tried Flexx Bars on my old trials bike years ago and don't run them anymore.  I do feel that the absorb some of the subtle input on a trials bike.  For me stock bend on my '18 Scorpa is fine, but I narrow the bars.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Twisted Engineering flex bars on my OSSA.

First thing I noticed was lack of preloading.  I wasn’t using my legs properly to preload and the bars would absorb the energy I was putting through with my arms.  Doing it right solved that. But yes, any input using the hands is damped noticeably.  I am just an intermediate trials rider (I mostly trail ride, although much of it is like a section)- so I’m not doing the bouncing around and stuff.  I think it would certainly make it a lot harder to do some of that.

all that said, it makes a big difference on longer days to my wrists. I try to keep a light grip- but the bars still help.   I’ve been riding a Beta Evo 300 (4T) the last six months to help to keep from putting so many hours on the OSSA.  I have regular bars on it.  I do notice easier to move the bike with my hands/arms when needed-  a bit tougher on the wrists.
that is my input anyway.
mark

I've run Flexx Bars on my enduro bikes for 12 years and just put the Flexx MTB bars on my Fat Bike.  I tried Flexx Bars on my old trials bike years ago and don't run them anymore.  I do feel that the absorb some of the subtle input on a trials bike.  For me stock bend on my '18 Scorpa is fine, but I narrow the bars.

I didn’t know Flexx made MTB bars. How do you like them?

I’ve yet to pull the trigger on my YZ but I get even worse numbness (the dreaded shake your hands to alleviate the problem) on my MTB than I do riding the dirt bike. The MTB version cost more than MX! But tempting because if they worked it would be worth it.