engine oil

Just now, HeavyRotation said:
10 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:
I absolutely refuse to tell the OP to buy Rotella. :bonk:

Rotella!? Might as well pour soupy readi- mix into your motor! That's diesel oil, it will immediately destroy your clutch!

It very well may also turn your bike orange.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, ReeveC said:

Yes. Castrol Power 1 is a bit cheaper. Rotella 5-40 and/or 15-40 are cheaper yet. I usually mix the last 2 50-50.

Welcome to TT. ?

• Like 1

Geez, I could but 4 gallons of Rotella for that price. The great thing about Rotella is you could also wash your car with it, use it on your salad, or apply it to an open wound. Don't use it as a sunscreen, though. It will turn your skin orange.?

• Like 4

OP, buy whatever makes YOU feel good.

Your owner's manual likely suggests 10W-40 JASO-MA rated (wet clutch safe) non-Energy Conserving engine oil.

From basic to fancy, all will work in your engine if it meets the specs.

How often you replace it is more important.

Using conservative oil change intervals, Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 will perform the same for about 3-4$ per quart.

(very interesting bulk discounts if you buy this oil by the 5 gallon pail, regularly on sale @ 60$ even here in expensive Canada)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Yes that oil will work in your DRZ400.  Amsoil makes a very high quality oil.  They're one of the only oil manufacturers that makes their own additive packages.  The majority of the other oil Mfgs all get their base oils and their additive packages from the same suppliers.  You wont have to change oil as frequently if you get the Amsoil.  Compared to other oil MFGs, Amsoil's TBN, volatility, lubrictity, and viscosity are able to endure higher heat and more hours before degrading.  Its good shit.  

Not saying that its the ONLY good shit.  But when it comes to every conceivable way to scientifically measure the performance of oil, Amsoil products are really the only ones that are doing anything above average.  Mobil 1 synthetics are good.  Pennzoil has a few really nice oils.  But pretty much all the other brands are the same. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crypto666 said:

I don't think oil is that important.  I read about some guys in the Arctic that had gearbox problems.  They didn't have any gear oil so they used bannanas. 

According to old comedy movies the peels are slippier than the banana itself. ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

According to old comedy movies the peels are slippier than the banana itself. ?

I was wrong, not Arctic. 

"Two Frenchmen, Jacques Seguela and Jean-Claude Baudot, made an 87,000-mile round-the-world trip in a Citroen 2CV and once substituted crushed bananas for oil to keep a gearbox working as it crossed a South American desert."
Los Angeles Times

• Like 2

Motorcycle specific oil in the weight / specifications specified by the OEM. Personally, I use AMSOIL 10/40 synthetic motorcycle oil. The main difference is the additive package designed for that type of engine. Remember, you are (probably) using the same oil to lubricate your transmission too. Using an oil that does not apply to that engine/trans may cause pre-mature wear, difficulty shifting and seal leakage etc. JMO.

Lol! You guys are too funny. Never stop. I do use Rotella in the engine side and Chevron Delo in trans. Been doing it for years, still smiling. Plus my local Wallmart has both for cheap. I have been told, and I could be wrong, but the smaller guys like Amsoil, and Royal Purple for example, have more freedom from the bean counters to use a more specialized additive package to tailor oils for extreme or niche uses. This makes them better for their intended uses vs big oil oil. It also makes them cost a lot more too. Everyone I know that uses the above examples just absolutely swears by them and will use nothing else. Also to meet all that cryptic alpha numeric jibberish it has to have a certain amount of basically the same stuff to make the powers that be happy. The smaller guys just do a better job of it.

• Like 1