2013 KTM 500 exc vs 2014-16

Hey guys 

Been looking around for a used ktm 500exc 

I’m in CA. There’s quite a few for sale in my area. One if them is a 2013 with just under 3k miles. Stock outside of euro mapping  

My main point for this thread is: what are the main differences between a 2013 500, vs 2014-16. IIRC the 13 has needle bearings and the newer has plain bearings. Deal breaker? The 13’s can be had for a bit cheaper. Is it worth it to spend a few extra $$$ for a 14-16?

The 2014+, has different front brake caliper and levers, they also went to more expensive longer lasting pads, ceramic sintered composite, front and rear. 2015 got a new and different speedo. 2016 they added a flimsy skid plate, but better than previous years which came with nothing, they also down sized the front axle.

by 2014/15, pretty much cover all the reliability advancements.

18 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

The 2014+, has different front brake caliper and levers, they also went to more expensive longer lasting pads, ceramic sintered composite, front and rear. 2015 got a new and different speedo. 2016 they added a flimsy skid plate, but better than previous years which came with nothing, they also down sized the front axle.

by 2014/15, pretty much cover all the reliability advancements.

Thanks Spud. Would you consider a 13 to be ‘unreliable’? The brake pads don’t bother me. The 13 I’m considering has an alu skid plate so that’s also out of the question

Its a $1500 price difference between the 13 and 14 in my area. Same mileage/mods. 

Well, I suppose the unknown is the most important, which motor has the least wear and will produce the best value down the road.

The crank assembly maintenance requirement, on paper, is 35% longer with 2014 model( I believe its 90 hours verses 135 hours).  How much does that translate into real time longevity?  

Maybe a 13 lasts as long, maybe it doesn't, crank failure isn't cheap, if it happens, but Ktm evidently saw a need to upgrade. 

Another thing, is how many owners has the bike had , and how many stripped out bolts is on the bike, has it been flooded out with water ect.

ilovektms,, 

I sold my 13 500 xcw (same motor) and it was as close to bulletproof as you could get. It had 771 hrs. and 18,000 miles with only regular maintenance. In tank filter replaced once, inline fuel filters on a regular maintenance basis and  swing arm bearings once.

Wore out lots of grips and tires on that bike though!

If it was taken care of decently it is a great buy for the right price. Happy shopping!

• Like 1

I just bought a 2015 ex c 500. When I was looking at bikes, I would touch a 2013.

The weaker crank was a deal breaker.

The more I look into it, the more I see the 13’s with high mileage. 20k+ 

Wonder if it’s a hit or miss problem. 

I have a 2013 500 EXC with just over 6,000 miles and a 2016 500 XCW with 1,500 miles. No issues with the EXC - been a great bike. I've had to replace the fuel pump and fix an oil leak on the XCW.

I own a 2013 500 xcw and it has been a great bike, but it has been said that all the older 530 and other ktms 500’s had basically the same bottom end and Ive never heard of a reliability issue with them either, my guess is that it is only an issue if bike is abused in-some way.

1 hour ago, Babywolf said:

I own a 2013 500 xcw and it has been a great bike, but it has been said that all the older 530 and other ktms 500’s had basically the same bottom end and Ive never heard of a reliability issue with them either, my guess is that it is only an issue if bike is abused in-some way.

Id rate the 2013 Crank assembly stronger than any previous era bike, not because of the lower rod needle bearing (being the same type), which every dirtbike for the last 50 years has run, but earlier ktms ran large needle crank bearings, and suffered from crank separation. 2013 run large ball bearing crank races, (big improvement).

Ktm just went a step further in 2014 with rod bearing design , which most 4 stroke street bikes run as lower rod bearings, cars too.

i respectfully disagree SPUD786,

You are right about the 2013 having the same bearing that's been used for years, But something must be differant.

That year had a high percentage of lower rod bearing failures.

35 minutes ago, GOTWHEELS said:

That year had a high percentage of lower rod bearing failures.

Are you including 2012 or just 2013?

I beliave the 2012 has the same bearing, But you hear of more of the 2013 with problems.

My 2012 450 X CW has 365 hours on it you guys are making me scared maybe I should rebuild it now 😂...

Just kidding I have confidence that it will run and run.....

Lots of paranoia on this site 🤣

• Like 2