Easy beginner question about chains

I have a 2017 xr650l, put about 120 miles on it so far. The chain seems to be a little loose but i havent measured yet to see if its within spec. Whats usually the mileage for the first chain adjustment? Also is 500 miles about right for break in oil change? The manual is vague but i did read it. Thanks

I generally adjust the chain when I put on a new rear tire.  Modern chains don't generally need regular adjustment.

The way I check that the chain is adjusted properly is with the bike on the sidestand and the suspension fully extended, I push down on the chain right in the middle, at the back of the black plastic slider thingy on top of the swingarm.  If I can just get the chain to touch the end of it, the adjustment is right.  If you can get it to touch the swingarm behind it, the chain is too loose.  Better loose than tight.

Changing the oil at 500-600 miles on a new bike sounds about right.  The manual says to change the oil and filter at 600 miles.

The stock chain is a standard chain. If you ride in dirty condition, it will need to be ajusted often. Like every 4-5 ride. Get a o-ring chain with it need replacement. Those last longer and need less ajustment.

If you're a beginner, how would you know it's an easy question?

There are lots of threads on this. I generally set chain slack at full rider sag. It looks too loose on the side stand, but the slack varies with swingarm movement.