Honda xl / xr advice needed ASAP!

21 hours ago, AnimalSTR said:

Similar, the tank is later on that bike. This has the ridge along the top of a fairly rounded and longer tank.

It's prob a parts bin special! But still worth doing up depending what it was originally.

In the UK the 175/185 are more sought after than 200/250 models 

This definitely has an earlier fuel tank than that bike and no rear footrest hangers, they were probably mounted direct onto swingarm if it had them.

If motor is XR/XL 185/200 two valve (Single Exhaust header), should fit into any of those era 1979-83 non-full  loop frames. Any model without "R" designation was normally a twin shocker 79-82ish XR-185 1979-82. Pro-Link XR200R 4-strokes w/ "R" started 1981-83 w/ 1st gen. Pro-Link frame for US. XR/XL 250 and 500 twin shockers were totally different motors (4 valve-twin pipe) and the frames were different, if memory serves correct. XL-R's started coming out a year or so later. The twin shocker XR200 was still available until 82, possibly 83,(as a entry level play bike) along side the "R" Pro-Linked XR's. 

I worked for Honda dealer 74-mid 80's, not making me an expert, but I raced/modified older 185/200's for hair scrambles/woods/MX riding racing.

The XR/XL 185/200's are pretty much identical w/ bore exceptions (Even 200 w/ diff. bores XR vs XL vs ATC). 125/185/200 "S" six speeds are identical cylinder head wise. 125's use shorter stroke, thus shorter engine and cylinder/head stud length. I have converted XL125S into 200 cc engine. The RFVC's  for 200 only 84/85 with the beginning of full loop frame/Pro-linked. Back to 2 valve in 86, but using full loop Pro-Linked frame for Xr's. Of course there are some "Engine specific differences" ATC bottom ends very different, trans ratios gear sizes etc., depending on application.

Check steering neck for ID plate riveted to frame w/ production date and model identification. VIN #'sshould be there also, depending......

Post pictures if you look at again. 

Would love to see what's out there across the pond.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:02 AM, AnimalSTR said:

Hi all I'm considering buying an old honda xl185, I think!

However it has drum brakes and monoshock. I don't remember an xl185 with monoshock.

So what's the options? 185 engine in xr frame, 185 engine in 125 frame? 

The tank is is circa 79-82 ride height looks similar to the older twin shock models. But the single shock has me stumped!

Really appreciate a quick answer as clock is ticking on this! Cheers guys

i had a 75 honda xl175 way back.  It was a great trail rider, low rpm, easy to work on and low maintanance.  Check it out real good.  Listen to the valves,  timing chain and run it through the gears.  Run the plates and vin through DMV.  If it's good and evrything works buy it. 

4 hours ago, NorcalConnections said:

Glad to see some constructive people have gotten the question at hand squared away.
?

i got the Q.  Doesn't matter.   I had a 75 XL175.  its a great bike for off road and trails.  its not anything like a YZ but thats ok.  buy it and ride it was my point.  

I know the XL/xr's are good bikes my first bike ever was a 79 xr80 no modern thumper will still be going in 40 years!

I didn't buy it however as the frame and motor didn't match the documents. That devalues it massively and it wasn't cheap for the condition!

Thanks again for everyone's input and advice.