california Rock Creek - Flume Trail - "Fixed"

40 minutes ago, ring ding ding said:

No public discussions among the different user groups before this type stuff is done? That took a serious crew and equipment to build that "sidewalk". I would think that would be embarrassing to a serious, macho mtn biker. You know, the guy who is always saying "we don't need no stinkin motors". Otherwise looks like an awesome trail, y'all are very lucky to have that kind of terrain.

That's my point too.. who is deciding this scope of "improvements"? Some national level trial conservation group looking for billable hours? 

It is a cool trail, follows an old flume. 

rPzvq.jpg

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 2

I'm sure Rick Guidice over at CERA would know. These projects are typically planned for years before they get them built. He is the GURU for anything GTown related. They typically are done with volunteer labor provided by CERA and the Equestrian folks (in my experience having been on a work crew) and possibly some new user groups. They try and make it collaborative. I now looks like a flow trail which is ruining Mountain Biking everywhere.

Ah yes flow trails code to attract spandex wearing 10k carbon bike no skill wennies. The worst.

Seems like we can't have trails that some in a walker can't navigate anymore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gflo said:

Probably paid for from the green sticker fund, all for the benefit of the mountain bike crowd.

What's with all the hate against fellow 2-wheelers? Most mountain bikers I know hate trail sanitization as much as anybody else, and would prefer it if all the trails were rocky, chunky, and and as "natural" as possible.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gflo said:

Probably paid for from the green sticker fund, all for the benefit of the mountain bike crowd.

I have not seen a green or red sticker on a mountain bike yet, but yet our dollars get pillaged for “their” trails.  Some of these groups are very good at writing grants to fund maintenance and new trail construction for MTB’s, while unfortunately the MC trails in the forests are receiving money to make them more Prius friendly.

Edited by hockdog
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, nilswalk said:

What's with all the hate against fellow 2-wheelers? Most mountain bikers I know hate trail sanitization as much as anybody else, and would prefer it if all the trails were rocky, chunky, and and as "natural" as possible.

How is this hate against fellow 2-wheelers.  I made no derogatory statements about mountain bikers.  Someone was speculating on how this was funded, and I gave my opinion.  Green sticker money is often provided to make improvements in multi-use areas.  Subsequently, off-road vehicle fund monies are used which benefits the mountain bike crowd.

Sorry, I must have read some negativity into "all for the benefit of the mountain bike crowd" that wasn't there. Carry on!

MTB flow trails have jumps and berms. That looks like typical, lame improvements more likely designed by horse people or hikers. Any self respecting MTBer would be just as bummed as you/us.

• Like 2

You guys are funny, if they closed the flume trail because of some environmental problem you would complain. They fix it so it can be ridden for years and you complain. Is it a side walk yes. But the trail is still open. That section is what 100 yards long. Seems to me I remember bob complaining about the difficulty of that section 10 years ago. Be happy it's fixed and not closed.

• Like 3

we have to put the blame on somebody. I for sure do not like my green sticker money I have paid since 1972 being spent on things other than OHV issues. Maybe signs saying nothing but MCs allowed on some of these trails should be installed in some places too, to counter all the closed signs n no MC signs we see. I see the point of it may get closed if its not fixed to gov't standards as well.

Edited by Mike in Fresno

I never complained about that section.  I rode through it with spotters twice in my career without a problem.  

I own Georgetown. Most of the newbies here have no idea I created the GT ranger district Designated Trail Maintenance supervisors program, with John Jue back in 2004-2008 and a lot of trail repairs out there, we did,  along with all the work CERA has done too.    We never built no sidewalks though.    

gt trail work.JPG

Bob T at Georgetown CA USA.jpg

gt trail work 2.JPG

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 2

Mike, this trail is not being made into a mountain bike trail but if a mountain biker rides out to the flume trail more power to them. Its in the middle of no where, there are many more areas of George town that would be much more mountain bike friendly such as the darling ridge trails.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but mountain bikers didn't sanitize that trail.  It was done by the forest service.  It's pretty lame that one mention of another user group on OHV trails and everyone is blaming them without any proof whatsoever.  That sort of thing then creates animosity between user groups.  Trust me, a mountain biker that is going out of their way to go ride in Georgetown has no reason, want or desire to sanitize those trails.  They are out there seeking chunky, technical trails.  Having another user group with the same ideals is only going to help us keep open or even create new trails in the long run.  The mountain bikers are on the same side as us.

GT.JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chris138 said:

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but mountain bikers didn't sanitize that trail.  It was done by the forest service.  It's pretty lame that one mention of another user group on OHV trails and everyone is blaming them without any proof whatsoever.  That sort of thing then creates animosity between user groups.  Trust me, a mountain biker that is going out of their way to go ride in Georgetown has no reason, want or desire to sanitize those trails.  They are out there seeking chunky, technical trails.  Having another user group with the same ideals is only going to help us keep open or even create new trails in the long run.  The mountain bikers are on the same side as us.

GT.JPG

The forest service is probably just a bunch of stupid mountain bikers

• Like 3

close up photos from that USFS EDNF facebook page.  Quite the trail construction project.

35311963_1243685569099202_1937171043818930176_o.jpg

35285423_1243685602432532_7873177766605094912_o.jpg

35284231_1243685652432527_6858644222854037504_o.jpg

35350065_1243685719099187_1871205689091686400_o.jpg

35265788_1243685949099164_3435514142155341824_o.jpg

35282181_1243686032432489_3987894584788123648_o.jpg

35240560_1243686075765818_2270561953116061696_o.jpg

35264929_1243686112432481_6619082547789824000_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris138 said:

Well, if you are talking to me.. sorry to burst your bubble dude... IT WAS A JOKE... like 90% of the post on here. At least The Riddler gets it.. People take their little version of reality too seriously.. 

Speaking of serious.. that looks like a hell of lot of work by the Forest Circus. Can't believe they couldn't find something better to do.. like blocking SSS. :devil:

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbob said:

that sloped edge is dicey

New flume road.jpg

It's easy.. Slyko could handle it now.. :goofy:  I think it's a better option for a complete trail #1 loop of GT bypassing Rock Lobster.

26 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

It's easy.. Slyko could handle it now.. :goofy: 

where is the white striped pedestrian cross walk? 

Maybe the new flume trail highway is a good place for the beer scramble half time celebration.  We can park our bikes, sit on that edge and drink a cold one.  All we would need are some 4th of July cheerleaders to meet us out there.     If I can arrange for this, even stillsmokin may join us

CmhnuByUkAE0L87.jpg

Edited by bigbob