2018 TE 300 can't get comfortable with shifter

So I have about 10 hours on my new Husky 300 and I really like this bike! I have owned many KTM 300s in the past.

I am having a hard time with the shifter angle/length/height I can't get it right. So I wear a size 13 boot and I am almost 6ft 5in tall.

On the first ride the shifter seemed awkward it seemed either to low or to high...

While in the standing position going through some small to medium sand whoops i was unintentionally shifting gears when i did not want to.

I put on Fastway foot pegs in the lowboy position like on all my other bikes and was still having problems with the shifter being out of position and not quite at the right angle.

I lowered the shifter one notch and it seemed better but I am still hitting it with my boot at times causing it to shift into the wrong gear.

Anybody else not in love with the stock shifter? Did they shorten it?

I am going to compare it today to my 300xc and might swap it out for the KTM shifter for tomorrows ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE KRAN said:

Vice and 'breaker' pipe

Good one!

So I looked over and measured both shifters and they are the same basic shape and length with similar bend. Was scratching my head for a while, then measured the distance from the front edge of the foot peg to the front edge of the shifter tip on both and SHAZAM! The distance on the KTM is 7 inches and only 6 on the husky.

So the relationship of the foot peg to shifter location has changed. Longer shifter will work. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Let us know how it measures up. Just called them because the "+10" they sent me is the same OVERALL length as the stock '18 TE shifter.... Sent them pics, at their request, and awaiting a response...

Just got a reply, apparently they didn't look at the pics.

I advise you to NOT buy from Hammerhead, they don't want to stand behind their product. I started a paypal dispute because of their response...

20180514_115232.jpg

Edited by RichBaker
Add info.
  • Like 1

Yeah so I got the +20mm shifter from Hammer head and it looked to be as advertised +20mm.

I really didn't like the way it fit on the shifter shaft. Seemed a bit loose and I thought about returning it but decided to wrap the shifter shaft with teflon plumbers tape and installed the shifter.

The added length did the trick for me and the issues I was having with shifting are gone. I grab the shifter and do a wiggle test before every ride and so far it has not loosened up. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I am curious, how is the overall feel of shifting on these bikes. I have ridden some KTM bikes in the past working a dealer who sold them. But always had KX's, YZ's and now RM's (never bought one). I know the RM's shift so good and the YZ's always had that notchy transmission (the 2 stroke ones). 

How are the new ones, as I am thinking of getting rid of the Suzuki's I got and buying a Husky 2 stroke bike.

• 1 year later...

I’m having the same problem with my 2018 TE 300 shifter, I have replaced it 3 times and can’t get one to fit my boot, I even bought some different boots and same problems, too high too close or to short, I’m going to try to heat and bend my stock shifter and see what happens 

• 6 months later...

Olive tried 3 different shift levers and the lower foot pegs and still it’s too high or too low, I think I’ll take my bike to a machine shop and have them cut the peg mount off and reweld it where I need it