Blinker problem 650l

Hi, im a new member so please excuse me if im asking a FAQ. I could not find any information regarding my specific question. I recently purchased and XR 650l. Awesome bike, but my blinkers only work when they choose. Can i have some input on where to start diagnosing this problem im having, please. Thanks in advance

Vinny-

It's either corrosion or dirt in the switch or it's the flasher relay.  Spray some aerosol lube , a lot , into the switch and switch it back and forth several times and see if it gets any better. If not , get a flasher relay from an auto parts store. Take the old relay with you.

I've been through at least four flasher relays on my bike.  The original one looked like it had spent some time in a swamp, so no wonder it didn't work really well.  I got a cheap one at an auto parts store that plugged into the same connector and it worked for a few years, then died.  The next one, which was electronic rather than mechanical, lasted about six months.

I finally stopped by a local NAPA auto parts store and asked for the best one they had.  And I kept the receipt just in case, since it had a one year warranty.  So far, so good.

My bike still has the OE flasher.. I had to clean the switch when the signals would only work when it felt like it,,lol

number 1 cause is that switch,,the grease turns to cement and impedes the current flow out of it,,,you`ll find when you take it apart the grease they used is not hard and cleaning it and relubing with dielectric grease will work wonders...

B

3 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

My 13 year old original still works. Maybe you should stop ''fixing'' your own stuff , Scott.     ?

Yeah, but a turn signal flasher is about the easiest thing to fix on the bike.  And the original flasher on my bike was already screwed up when I got it.  If the current one dies, I'll probably have to give in and get a Genuine Honda part to replace it with.

Edited by ScottRNelson