Removing decal adhesive from forks?

I'm trying to remove all the adhesive residue from my forks after peeling away the previous AER fork decals. I've tried the combination of rubbing alcohol, a heat gun, and a scotch brite pad with little success. Anyone have more ideas on removing all the residue?

Forks.jpg

Id work my way up to the heavier stuff.  Not sure how some of the stronger solvents will affect fork tubes.  Wd40 then goof off (and similar), then your heavy duty solvents.  Not sure id go scotch brite.  Try and stick with a cotton rag

• Like 1

Goof Off or Goo Gone on a shop towel has worked awesome for me. Just make sure you spray on some brake cleaner afterwards. Otherwise you get a greasy residue which makes putting on new graphics/decals problematic. Good luck with your project ?

Edited by Dirt Hog

Goo Gone and 0000 steel wool with a light touch in the same direction of the machining has always worked for me and also helped to polish my forks and NOT remove the plastic coating that you will find on some of the newer bikes. Just use a light touch.

17 minutes ago, WRider995 said:

Id work my way up to the heavier stuff.  Not sure how some of the stronger solvents will affect fork tubes.  Wd40 then goof off (and similar), then your heavy duty solvents.  Not sure id go scotch brite.  Try and stick with a cotton rag

its anodized aluminum, really only acid or base will have any effect on it.

• Like 2