New cr250 owner

Hello,

Like the title says I am the proud new owner of a 01 cr250. This is my first 2 stroke so I am in the dark on a lot of stuff with this bike. I went on 30 mile ride on Saturday and the bike did great until it ran out of gas after only 20 miles. It has a 400 main and 30 pilot jet with the stock needle and clip at the second position. I have never seen a bike go through fuel that fast before and was curious if that’s a common thing with the 01 cr250 or if I have an issue elsewhere. Second issue I noticed or rather my buddy noticed when he rode it was that it didn’t have the power it should at all. Seemed kinda sluggish and you had to ring it out like crazy to keep it alive up a big hill climb. Not sure what could cause this type of low power issue but any input is helpful. Last thing that I noticed at the end of the ride was a weird rattle sound that you could only hear when the rpm was coming down from a rev. It sounded like it was coming from where the kick start is. Sorry for so much info just curious about these things. Thank you for any input

I have an 01 motor/carb in my 03'....yes that is common with a 16 year old carb float valve seat and o-ring.  It happened to me in January.  My bike was dripping gas on the stand.  I replaced the valve seat o-ring and float valve.  

re: bad fuel economy

ATC250 nailed it. you're leaking fuel somewhere, and 9 out of 10, it's through the carb. Doubtful the motor could burn that much fuel in such a short distance; otherwise your plug would have fouled out in no time.

re: low/no power:

Is it easy or difficult to kick down on the kicker to start it? If easy, do a compression test. The kicker should have a pronounced kick back if your top end is fresh.

Next take the exhaust pipe out and shine a light to look into the exhaust opening of the cylinder. rotate engine so piston and rings are shown through the exhaust opening. Do you see your piston coated black below the piston ring line?  If so, you many have blow back, a condition of worn ring(s) and or out of round cylinder wall. Either way, a fresh top end and hone will get that power back.

Next, check your reeds . If they don't look nice and new, then you'll  lose  power when trying ... "to ring it out like crazy to keep it alive up a big hill climb."

re: bad fuel economy
ATC250 nailed it. you're leaking fuel somewhere, and 9 out of 10, it's through the carb. Doubtful the motor could burn that much fuel in such a short distance; otherwise your plug would have fouled out in no time.

re: low/no power:
Is it easy or difficult to kick down on the kicker to start it? If easy, do a compression test. The kicker should have a pronounced kick back if your top end is fresh.
Next take the exhaust pipe out and shine a light to look into the exhaust opening of the cylinder. rotate engine so piston and rings are shown through the exhaust opening. Do you see your piston coated black below the piston ring line?  If so, you many have blow back, a condition of worn ring(s) and or out of round cylinder wall. Either way, a fresh top end and hone will get that power back.
Next, check your reeds . If they don't look nice and new, then you'll  lose  power when trying ... "to ring it out like crazy to keep it alive up a big hill climb."

It has tons of compression haven’t put a gauge to it but it’s hard to cycle by hand. I am going to rebuild the carb completely this weekend and also check my reeds and power valve I think the issue has to lie in one or a combo of the 3 of those things. Thanks for all the input I’ll keep y’all posted on what I find!