Battery mod made easy for the IMS 2.9 tank for WR's and FX's

Hello all, 

I have wanted a larger tank on my 17 250FX for quite some time now. After researching all of the options, I decided that I wanted the IMS 2.9 tank for the 250/450F. I like that this tank keeps the extra gas low and back as opposed to high and forward like the other options. As everyone knows, you have to relocate the battery and electronics to make it work. My buddy came up with a battery box that relocates the battery behind the left side number plate...similar design of other mods just mounts differently. Requires no drilling. Uses existing bolts for the rear fender. Relocating the electronics was pretty easy. I will post some detailed instructions later if people are interested. In the meantime, we will be doing some R&D on this battery box soon. If it passes our trial runs, we will make them available to purchase for $49.99 on Ebay with free shipping to the US and available for international shipping. It is designed specifically for the Ballistic EVO2 4 Cell battery that weights .97lbs. so you are getting rid of that heavy lead acid and shaving some weight too. Here are pics. More to come later....

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

Edited by MNRXV450
update
  • Like 6

MNRXV450 and I designed this together to be an easy and reliable solution for people looking to upgrade the size of their gas tank.  These are 3D printed and designed to work perfectly with the wr/yz 250f. 

We figured others would be interested in it too. Let us know what you think!

Subscribed.

• Like 2

Clean looking mod! Got some questions about how this works on the WR.

The WR wiring harness has more wires and an extra relays for the headlight and cooling fan compared the to FX harness. So the first question have you tried this on a WR yet?

Looking at the photos it appears you have rerouted the heavy gauge cable running to the starter motor. So question 2 is have you relocated the starter relay along with the battery with this mod?

I would be willing to pull this trigger on your ebay kit but my WR has even more wiring that stock because of the dual sport kit. So I'm worried about creating a rat's nest of wiring relocating everything under the seat.

Great looking design for the battery box and cover.

6 hours ago, GPS Dual Sport said:

Clean looking mod! Got some questions about how this works on the WR.

The WR wiring harness has more wires and an extra relays for the headlight and cooling fan compared the to FX harness. So the first question have you tried this on a WR yet?

Looking at the photos it appears you have rerouted the heavy gauge cable running to the starter motor. So question 2 is have you relocated the starter relay along with the battery with this mod?

I would be willing to pull this trigger on your ebay kit but my WR has even more wiring that stock because of the dual sport kit. So I'm worried about creating a rat's nest of wiring relocating everything under the seat.

Great looking design for the battery box and cover.

I have not tried this on a WR but I looked at the parts schematics for the WR and FX and they look to be very similar. If you do have a couple more relays it wouldn't be too bad. I also run a dual sport wiring harness and a USB power port harness and I still have plenty of room for wires and relays. 

As far as the battery cables you see, they go to the exact same places as the original cables. They are just a little longer. They are 15" long to replace the stock 8" battery cables as you need the addl length to reach the battery box. I used 6 AWG cables 15" long with 5/16" ends but I think stock is 8 AWG so mine are a tad thicker. I'll attach some in process photos to give you an idea of cable routing. Whatever wires don't fit on the lower bracket, you will need to run under your seat. There is plenty of room under the seat. The tip over sensor needs to be mounted with the "UP" word facing up and needs to be level. I cut the tip over sensor bracket, bent it to 90 degrees and drilled a hole in the fender so I could mount it securely.

You'll notice the weep holes on the bottom of the box in case water gets in it can flow out. 

You'll want to plug the 4 holes that mount the original battery box as those aren't used anymore. I used 12mm rubber plugs.

I will post up a complete list of parts once I have everything inventoried.   

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

Nice job. These kind of mods will be really important if the next generation fx has the new yz smaller tank. For now I get about 70 miles on the stocker and my riding buddies get about the same.

This is awesome! We’ve had a couple races here recently where I was undecided if I should pit or not and this would make life easier!

Nice mod!  Very well done. 

What did you do with the low fuel level indicator switch?   I would assume that the IMS 2.9 gallon tank doesn't have a port for the switch, so you couldn't connect the wiring.  If the low fuel switch wiring is not connected, is the low fuel light always illuminated?

Also-  I noticed that you have a WR headlight and are using the stock FX front brake hose with the stock routing.  Does the stock FX front brake hose have any issues when it moves behind the WR headlight?

Thanks and again, excellent mod!

1 hour ago, BazookaJoe said:

Nice mod!  Very well done. 

What did you do with the low fuel level indicator switch?   I would assume that the IMS 2.9 gallon tank doesn't have a port for the switch, so you couldn't connect the wiring.  If the low fuel switch wiring is not connected, is the low fuel light always illuminated?

Also-  I noticed that you have a WR headlight and are using the stock FX front brake hose with the stock routing.  Does the stock FX front brake hose have any issues when it moves behind the WR headlight?

Thanks and again, excellent mod!

The IMS 2.9 tank does not have a mounting option for the low fuel level sensor. I prefer to have the transparent tank anyway. The light does not come on at all, I just disconnected the low fuel sensor from the harness.

As far as the WR headlamp, I have noticed some rubbing on the front brake line when the shock compresses. It has only rubbed on the outer insulation a little so no issues yet. I will be checking on other options though as I would like a rub-free operation. If you have suggestions please let me know. 

I will be testing the battery box mod out this weekend. I'll  be hitting some technical singletrack trails and a moto track.
So far, there is one minor change to the box we will do to make it even better. So should be available soon. We will post up the link when its available.

• Like 1

The redesigned box is now produced. The changes that were made is making it more water resistant by making channels for the 2 zip ties and making the surface that mates with the fender mate evenly and tightly so by using a waterproof sponge tape we can keep most water and mud out. There are weep holes at the bottom to drain any water if it does manage to get in. Here's some pics. These will be available for purchase soon. We are just putting together the hardware needed. If interested, feel free to PM me but we'll have an Ebay link once there're up and available. 

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Edited by MNRXV450
  • Like 1

Nice mod. I needed more than 2.9 gallons so I went with the Safari tank. No battery relocation needed. Scored a used pump on eBay so swapping tanks back and forth is a breeze.

Awesome job but bought the 2.5G already.

However, in addition to the battery box would you consider printing a rear guard reinforcement using existing points.

Picking the bike up by the flimsy guard is not the best.

Rear Guard reinforcement - I would love to develop a solution for that this at some point.  Unfortunately, I have a few other projects that need to be finished up before I start any new ones. 

The Battery Box kit will be posted up for sale later this week for sale.