Front Brake Micro-Switch Lever Engagement

I just installed the OE front brake micro-switch on my 2014 XC-W.  It's stock switch on the EXC and all of the front brake perch part numbers are common between the XC-W and EXC. 

As you can see in the picture, the brake lever comes nowhere near engaging the switch. Even with the lever adjusted fully away from the bar (which would be too far for me to reach comfortably), there is still air between the lever and the switch. Obviously, applying the front brake pulls the lever further from the switch.

I know I can use a hydraulic banjo switch but I already bought this OE switch and I wonder if there's an adjustment I'm over looking?

The picture below is the brake lever at rest. 

TIA.

Front Brake Switch.jpg

Looks like that spring you have in there, is forcing the lever inward, spring tension should force the lever outward, which will engage the switch

I JB welded a spacer in there so the leaver could be closer to the hand grip.  If the spacer is to thick it will break the switch or rip it loose when the lever is pushed outward.

56 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Looks like that spring you have in there, is forcing the lever inward, spring tension should force the lever outward, which will engage the switch

The spring is OE.  It's the same spring that's on the EXC which has this same micro switch.

37 minutes ago, bnr said:

I JB welded a spacer in there so the leaver could be closer to the hand grip.  If the spacer is to thick it will break the switch or rip it loose when the lever is pushed outward.

That's the second time I've read about modding the lever.  I'm not opposed to doing so but it's odd that this setup seemingly works on the factory EXC but presents an issue on the XCW, when all of the part numbers are exactly the same.

Edited by TipsyMcStagger

Remove that spring and your issues will go away, I took mine apart, no spring and works flawlessly

also says in the notes bottom of fische, spring is SX style set up,  no spring is EXC style set up

but spring has to go, for the switch

Edited by Spud786

48 minutes ago, brute448 said:

i have the same prob and switch. my question is were do u wire it in? i dont see a place on my harness to plug'er up.

TIA!

I've installed OE EXC lighting and flasher harnesses.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Remove that spring and your issues will go away...

also says in the notes bottom of fische, spring is SX style set up,  no spring is EXC style set up

but spring has to go, for the switch

I was looking more closely at the fiche and I just noticed the note "without spring" on the EXC. 

I also just noticed you edited your post to reflect the same info.

:thumbsup:

Spring.jpg.622d21a5c6ab4bc418f6dd1adaa8f416.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

I had the exact same issue when I used OEM parts on my xcw. I drilled the lever and put a small set screw in the lever. Worked perfectly.

That's what I was getting ready to do, but it seems to be working fine without the spring.  The rubber dust boot keeps the untentioned lever from flopping around.

18 minutes ago, TipsyMcStagger said:

That's what I was getting ready to do, but it seems to be working fine without the spring.  The rubber dust boot keeps the untentioned lever from flopping around.

2014+, has completely different levers and master cylinders than 2012 an 2013 , big differences in tackling the situation.

7 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

I had the exact same issue when I used OEM parts on my xcw. I drilled the lever and put a small set screw in the lever. Worked perfectly.

did you also use EXC harness? or how did you tie in front brake switch to rear brake light?

TIA!