cam timing off. 2003 DRZ400s

This is directly from the faq. 

"Pull up on the cam chain, Install the intake cam with the sprocket timing marks close to the correct position lobes at 10 0’clock.
Install the exhaust cam, timing marks in the general position and lobes pointing at 2 O'clock.
Stick your finger in the hole where the CCT goes, and push against the timing chain guide to take up chain slack.. Check the flywheel timing mark and look at the cam timing marks..
Make note of which cam needs to roll forward or backward to get the timing correct. One at a time, remove the cam, lift the chain of the sprocket and rotate the cam, sit it back in the head and do the other.
Check flywheel timing mark again, push against the chain guide, check the cam timing marks. Adjust again if needed. If not, install the cam caps.."

I would also make sure that the chain is still on the bottom sprocket

• Like 2

Well normally the chain is meshed with the sprockets when re-installing the cams.  So you can always remove/re-install the cams.  But with enough chain slack you can probably walk the chain around the sprocket 1 tooth at a time.

First stick your finger in the tensioner hole to make sure the slack is in the rear (tensioner) side of the chain run to verify the cams really are a tooth off.  Then gently rotate the cams CW (as looking from the chain side) to put the slack in the front run.  Now lift the chain near the front of the EX cam and move it 1 link at a time around the sprocket.  Now put all the slack between the 2 sprockets and do the same with the IN cam.  When you are done, the cams will be in time with the crank and the slack will be in the rear again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noble said:

But with enough chain slack you can probably walk the chain around the sprocket 1 tooth at a time.

Almost, but not quite, unless the chain is really worn... But you can just slightly pull the cam out of the head to get a little more slack.

From where your at now, looks like both cams just need to rotate back one tooth. . remove the CCT, then One at a time, pull the cam and chain up and out of the head  walk the chain and cam rotating one tooth. Put that cam back and do the same with the other.
Check your timing mark in the window, push the cam chain guide in with finger and check cam timing.
Repeat as needed until you get the cams positioned correctly. Keep in mind, unless you have a new chain in place, the cam timing marks will not be perfectly aligned.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, drzematt said:

Thanks do u know what causes this noise I was riding doing wheelies then the bike shut off and wouldn’t start I waited a hour then the bike turned on but sounded very bad and road bad and wants to turn off I didn’t check the valve yet but I ordered the tool to check it

Sounds an awful lot like a valve hitting the piston 

BUT listening to sounds across the internet and diagnosing "what's wrong" is a wild ass guess at best. 

• Like 1