09 crf250r not firing

So my 09 crf250 won't even fire and I checked timing, valve shims, and carburator stuff, and she still won't go. Any suggestions?
I really hope you get a answer cause the same thing happened with my 08crf250r and I never got a answer. Checked all forums and nobody knows what's up. Seems to be a popular occurrence with these years crf. I changed everything from the piston/rings, brand new valves/springs/seats (Honda did it) stator, CDI, spark plug, entire wire harness, tps in the carb and still no fire. Honda said to bring it in and they will rip it apart and check everything out. Honestly I refuse to spend anymore money on this stupid Crf[emoji51]. Think I will just leave it on the side of the road and set it on fire....
Sorry for the frustrated reply, and I hope someone will help you out, so this mysterious issue will be put to bed.
Ps. I only hear Honda crf owners complain about this, why? [emoji33]

14 minutes ago, Trail_Dude said:

I really hope you get a answer cause the same thing happened with my 08crf250r and I never got a answer. Checked all forums and nobody knows what's up. Seems to be a popular occurrence with these years crf. I changed everything from the piston/rings, brand new valves/springs/seats (Honda did it) stator, CDI, spark plug, entire wire harness, tps in the carb and still no fire. Honda said to bring it in and they will rip it apart and check everything out. Honestly I refuse to spend anymore money on this stupid Crfemoji51.png. Think I will just leave it on the side of the road and set it on fire....
Sorry for the frustrated reply, and I hope someone will help you out, so this mysterious issue will be put to bed.
Ps. I only hear Honda crf owners complain about this, why? emoji33.png

So to be clear, you pull the plug and while attached to the cap you get no spark when you kick over the bike (2 person job) ?

And as post, have you checked the kill switch?

Edited by filterx

So to be clear, you pull the plug and while attached to the cap you get no spark when you kick over the bike (2 person job) ?
And as post, have you checked the kill switch?

Ok, to be clear, - I changed the whole harness including the kill switch. I checked everything with a multi meter and to my limited knowledge everything came within specification. I checked the spark but did it myself. [emoji21]
I know it would be better with 2 guys but I had my 3 bikes side by side and my kx125 sparked and my drz sparked with just me doing it. Crf - Nothing.... I think Honda's doesn't like me.

10 minutes ago, Trail_Dude said:

Ok, to be clear, - I changed the whole harness including the kill switch. I checked everything with a multi meter and to my limited knowledge everything came within specification. I checked the spark but did it myself. emoji21.png
I know it would be better with 2 guys but I had my 3 bikes side by side and my kx125 sparked and my drz sparked with just me doing it. Crf - Nothing.... I think Honda's doesn't like me.

Firstly I am by no means an electronics expert.

So obviously you are not getting a spark at the plug and out interest have you disconnected the kill switch and used a piece of wire between both leads on the harness?  

Is the spark plug cap etc part of the harness and if not, is there an issue with this.

I have no idea how to test this but you say you replaced the CDI. Did you buy a brand new OEM one for the year of your bike?

From following this for awhile, unless I'm missing something this is really not a common problem with the 09 or earlier bikes but I may be mistaken.

Sorting electronic issues out can be a nightmare but IMO it's methodical process and hope my suggestions help in some small way.

• Like 1

Firstly I am by no means an electronics expert.
So obviously you are not getting a spark at the plug and out interest have you disconnected the kill switch and used a piece of wire between both leads on the harness?  
Is the spark plug cap etc part of the harness and if not, is there an issue with this.
I have no idea how to test this but you say you replaced the CDI. Did you buy a brand new OEM one for the year of your bike?
From following this for awhile, unless I'm missing something this is really not a common problem with the 09 or earlier bikes but I may be mistaken.
Sorting electronic issues out can be a nightmare but IMO it's methodical process and hope my suggestions help in some small way.

I disconnected the kill switch but I didn't put a piece of wire between both leads, I gotta look that one up.
I didn't buy a new harness but I got a used oem one from a reputable seller. It was the complete harness with all the attachments. Literally every electrical component I changed. Could the flywheel be a issue? Cause I didn't change that. I used a multi meter and checked Both original harness and the new/used One and all the numbers were the same and that's when I lost my nerves and said F!@#% this honda!!! And went riding my Kawi 2 smoker! That was in November /December and it's still just sitting in my garage corner naked and afraid. Lol
I am on the fence to either part it out and get some money back but I didn't want to sell a engine with zero hours (top end and TI valves) that doesn't start. My conscious would kill me.
I kinda wanted to finally get a official answer on what the hell is wrong with it, so could help all those other crf owners with no spark.
It's will probably be something stupid or they will ask me to buy a new oem part from Honda for top dollar, and that's the issue, I don't want to put another $500-1000 bucks into this older bike.
I said many people had this problem only because when it 1st happened to me, I googled it and that same question popped up on all dirtbike forums and YOUTUBE for the same bike and each thread goes on for pages only to end with no answer. Google it, as I'm sure the creator of this current thread did already. But I hope someone does find the answer.
  • Like 1