KTM OEM exhaust VS Aftermarket?

I wanted to get some  feedback from those who have tried aftermarket exhaust on their  ktm 250 or 300s vs OEM.

Ive read that Besides being fragile people are generally happy with The performance of OEM exhaust. I’ve always had a gnarly pipe and fmf silencer on my ktm so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I can say that it seems to sign off early and not rev much. 

I just bought an OEM pipe and silencer for cheap and i’m actaully hoping for a performance increase in mid and overrev. I’m thinking I may cut down the silencer if I feel like it’s too restrictive, so anyone who’s cut one let me know if this helped. 

So watcha running on yours??

Edited by xtactical

I run the stock pipe on my 250 and I have a pro circuit r304 silencer on the back end. I like the combo, and this bike is the "woods" bike.  Even with a pretty good dent in the chamber, she still runs strong, and lugs as low as i can expect it to go. I  have wanted to get the FMF Fatty for a long time and just never did. Aside from being thicker/more durable, i dont think most like gnarly.

• Like 1

I’m confused, did you have he gnarly on a different ktm? Or this one and you are looking for performance gains. The oem didn’t last very long for me, one year and it looks like nomes attacked it with a hammer. I’ve been running oem and turbinecore 2.1 spark arrestor since day one on my 2017 250 te and I like it. I’m switching to gnarly now in hopes of increased durability.

09ADBCD6-7C28-4FF2-9C7F-CB63078F2823.jpeg

Edited by Guest

I’ve always had a gnarly and powercore since I bought it, it’s very durable but I don’t like how early it signs off.

49 minutes ago, xtactical said:

I wanted to get some  feedback from those who have tried aftermarket exhaust on their  ktm 250 or 300s vs OEM.

Ive read that Besides being fragile people are generally happy with The performance of OEM exhaust. I’ve always had a gnarly pipe and fmf silencer on my ktm so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I can say that it seems to sign off early and not rev much. 

I just bought an OEM pipe and silencer for cheap and i’m actaully hoping for a performance increase in mid and overrev. I’m thinking I may cut down the silencer if I feel like it’s too restrictive, so anyone who’s cut one let me know if this helped. 

1 hour ago, Montanahusky said:

I’m confused, did you have he gnarly on a different ktm? Or this one and you are looking for performance gains. The oem didn’t last very long for me, one year and it looks like nomes attacked it with a hammer. I’ve been running oem and turbinecore 2.1 spark arrestor since day one on my 2017 250 te and I like it. I’m switching to gnarly now in hopes of increased durability.

09ADBCD6-7C28-4FF2-9C7F-CB63078F2823.jpeg

mine looks worse than that and is still kicking, that is serviceable..

Starting with the '17's KTM greatly improved the stock exhaust .  It is much thicker now ( similar to the gnarley) and does a good job with spreading the power.

Joe

• Like 3

I also agree that the 17 ktm stock pipes seem durable enough. Ive hit the ground a couple times. Hasnt bent or dented at all. Mild tip overs on concrete too.

• Like 1

Very happy with my OEM pipe so far.  When it does get crushed, I will replace it with another.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Stock is good but the PC is better. No downsides. 

Is there a downside to the performance of an OEM or just that it’s fragile? 

Where I ride is lots of sand and wide open trails so i’m really not too concerned about rocks damaging a pipe

Just now, xtactical said:

Where I ride is lots of sand and wide open trails so i’m really not too concerned about rocks damaging a pipe

The PC reportedly adds power on the bottom without sacrificing power anywhere else.  I have one ready to bolt on.

• Like 1

Ya if I was going aftermarket id do the PC too, love the way they look. I got the OEM pipe and silencer for $120 total to replace my banged up gnarly so I really can’t conplain 😋

• Like 1

I liked the power of the cheapo stock pipe and I've been running a SRT pipe.  It is exactly the same as the stock pipe but much thicker and stronger.  Oh and it's only $150 new from AOMC.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xtactical said:

Both pipes seem to get smashed at the same rate, I run the PC because it's just better. If I'm going to spend the same amount why not get the PC pipe? Is yours a 17 or older 300?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, xtactical said:

Ya if I was going aftermarket id do the PC too, love the way they look. I got the OEM pipe and silencer for $120 total to replace my banged up gnarly so I really can’t conplain 😋

I think you'll like the stock pipe better than the gnarly.  The gnarly robs top end.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, xtactical said:

I have ran the Gnarly, Fatty, Pro Circuit platinum and stock Pipes on KTM and recently husky 300’s. I think they are all good. It really boils down to application and preferences. I think the stock pipe is a good all around pipe but is a little on the fragile side. I like the Gnarly for tight woods and more technical single track. The Gnarly is really good for playing in the low to mid RPM range.The Fatty and the Procircuit are both pretty comparable but I like them for more open and faster events where you are riding on the pipe more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

? Is yours a 17 or older 300?

Mines somewhere between a 2012 -2015  it’s deff not post 17 tho.

What are you guys running for silencers? I’m not sure if i should cut down the stocker or run it as is... I like my powercore and bummed it does not fit the newer pipe 

1 minute ago, xtactical said:

Mines somewhere between a 2012 -2015  it’s deff not post 17 tho.

What are you guys running for silencers? I’m not sure if i should cut down the stocker or run it as is... I like my powercore and bummed it does not fit the newer pipe 

R304. I think someone on vital posted an R304 in the last few days. 75$ IIRC