KTM OEM exhaust VS Aftermarket?

Check with your dealership (an honest one) but I seem to think that my local dealership said that the stock pipe "is" an FMF Fatty - just without the "FMF" logo.  That's also why the PowerParts spark arrestor / silencer is nothing more than a FMF Turbinecore.

Powercore 2 silencer on stock pipe. Nothing wrong with the stock silencer but it's long and ugly so I opted for the FMF. If the tock pipe cracks or gets banged up I'll replace it with a Platinum or Fatty.

I didn't like the Gnarly on my 300 but on my 380, it was DaBomb. There is no perfect pipe, you just need to find a pipe that suits your riding style.  Then again, there is no single riding style. I tend to lug the 380 and like that I can launch it at any time on the Gnarly without shifting down. Power by the hour! The 300 has great over-rev, I hated losing it, and it didn't gain much on the bottom end with the Gnarly, like the 380 did.

As for silences (mufflers), I cannot find much power in them. Noise sounds like power but when you put it to the test, it is deceiving. Atthe end of the day with a loud muffler I am fatigued, my neighbors are annoyed, my trails get shut down and my hearing is shot. I am so much happier with a quiet muffler. Weight is what I look for these days. 

I have a 125 that I street and off-road ride. I have a Doma that I love for highway driving. Great low end but a huge hit at 50-60 mph and will rip up to 80mph with the engine screaming. Not so great for off-road, so I have another pipe for that, and another pipe if I dent that one. I find I adapt to other pipes quite easily, some I like, some not so much. Weight is something I detest in an off-road bike. I bought extra capacity fuel tanks and pipe guards and other accessories and soon realized my bike has turned into a fat pig. So, these days I run a thin pipe and repair the dents. Ride and have a good time. Bikes and bodies don't stay new forever...

pipes.jpg

• Like 3

Thx for the feedback and ideas fellas. So the silencer I bought is from a 2014 300xc, does anyone know if those have SA in them?

14 minutes ago, xtactical said:

Thx for the feedback and ideas fellas. So the silencer I bought is from a 2014 300xc, does anyone know if those have SA in them?

XC => no sparky.

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

XC => no sparky.

yup, all KTM/Husky two strokes are imported as "closed course" bike and will not have an Spark arrestor. I would venture to say that is probably accurate of all two stroke bikes for the last decade and a half. 

I'm running the factory ktm front pipe which is made in partnership with doma. 

I really like the standard pipe. Great overall performance. 

I found it to be really solid. It lasted over 18 months before I finally wrecked it.

The factory pipe is very much like the standard but it's lighter (has no plating ) and gives a bit more everywhere .

Its especially good at filling the bottom end and making smooth power.

I ended up with a fmf sxs pipe for my 300xcw. Definitely gave me alot more mid to top end. I noticed a little less on the bottom now, but not enough to really matter

8 hours ago, xtactical said:

Any KTM pipes that have a spark arrestor are clearly marked, which is your salvation if you are stopped in need of one. All the long "hockey stick" pipes that I have are so marked, but all are pre-2010. Incidentally, you can cut the hockey stick short, fit both ends in the short straight piece and keep the SA and markings. Only slightly noisier but much lighter and no danger of damage from wheelies. 

Here is the hockey stick with markings:

12717444_10153819640920803_4599894492134445432_n.jpg

Same bike with a shorter, lighter but still quiet pipe:

25464_371300870802_1038447_n.jpg

Edited by sbest

For anyone wondering I went ahead and cut 100mm off my stocker silencer, as it was infact very ugly. Looks much better now and the bike has a nice deep note to it with the OEM Vs the “ping ping ding deto” sounds of the gnarly. Seems to rev better just on its stand but i’ll give it the full review once I have a chance to hit the trails (hopefully this weekend) 

Couple other observations is the stocker (silencer) is an extremely well built unit, beautiful tig welding, thick aluminum and even a very hardy dense fiberglass pak (not that cheap cotton looking fluff). Nothing against aftermarket exhaust but the build quality makes my FMF stuff look like a kids toy, the sacrifice of course being the ktm silencer is a lot heavier, but having chopped it down it’s not too bad.

Edited by xtactical
  • Like 3

Took a chance and tried a bill's pipe & silencer on a 13 250sx. I have never had a pipe make this much of a difference. More power everywhere and revs out a lot further with less shifting.

• Like 2

Well if you are out to win a race things like this matter. If you are just out to have fun then who cares? Better to be quiet and respectful in the forest.

3 minutes ago, Neilw said:

Well if you are out to win a race things like this matter. If you are just out to have fun then who cares? Better to be quiet and respectful in the forest.

well I ride a lot in forests and the fish and game cops can be a pain. and I don't want to start no fires

5 minutes ago, ktmHolland said:

well I ride a lot in forests and the fish and game cops can be a pain. and I don't want to start no fires

Why do you say they are a pain?

Just now, Neilw said:

Why do you say they are a pain?

they are always on state trails with 4 wheelers checking for that stuff. they even have radar guns for speeding lol

Just now, ktmHolland said:

they are always on state trails with 4 wheelers checking for that stuff. they even have radar guns for speeding lol

Would you rather they not be there and having people racing their vehicles without restraint? Reckless and damaging behavior is the biggest reason trails are being closed. I want to see people riding responsibly: for my sake, the public sake and the forest sake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neilw said:

Would you rather they not be there and having people racing their vehicles without restraint? Reckless and damaging behavior is the biggest reason trails are being closed. I want to see people riding responsibly: for my sake, the public sake and the forest sake.

you are totally right. I'm 53 years old and do a lot of slow riding. That's why I'm going to buy a silencer with a S/A. Just a little upset about the dealer where I bought it said it did. that was one of the questions I asked. you have any suggestions?

Edited by ktmHolland
  • Like 1

I just installed a PC Type 296 SA silencer. Took it for a scoot yesterday. Mated with there PC Platinum, I thought it pulled great up high, and lugged down really well.

Full disclosure tho, my only other riding experience has been my YZ250FX for comparison, and minimal hours on it too. So could be just the 2T lug factor overall?

Whichever way you slice it, I'm a happy camper with the combo, pulls like crazy to me :ride:

FAF02FC0-A79F-4527-952D-23E256349CA7.JPG

%KJNW5vDT+eTgQSH9EkqzQ.jpg

Edited by GRamg
  • Like 1