2013 vs 2005 cylinder head

I know there are a million cylinder head questions on here, but nobody gets very specific as to why certain heads won't work on certain years. So far, all I know is that these years are casted different, but looking at both, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference aside from the hanger location and different intake boot. Can anyone explain what the differences are? I can fab up a hanger relocation and it the intake shouldn't be a problem as it just looks bolt on instead of the 05s rubber boot and hose clamps. 

I know there are a million cylinder head questions on here, but nobody gets very specific as to why certain heads won't work on certain years. So far, all I know is that these years are casted different, but looking at both, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference aside from the hanger location and different intake boot. Can anyone explain what the differences are? I can fab up a hanger relocation and it the intake shouldn't be a problem as it just looks bolt on instead of the 05s rubber boot and hose clamps. 
It's neen a while but I think in 05 they changed the cylinder head volume and shape. I tried measuring it with liquid once and could tell a different.

I'd heard something like that too, but it was 2005 forward as long as you used the matching piston and head.... I think haha. I don't want to drop perfectly good money on parts I can't use though. 

Well, it's too good of a deal to pass up, and I've found out that the cylinder is the same from 2001-2013, so the head will bolt up and coolant passages will line up. Stroke length and bore are identical, and it's still a 5 valve head. I'm going to grab the 2013 piston as well just to avoid the possibility of that not working out. I'll update once I get it, for anyone that's curious.

Bringing back some memories. Yes, if you change pistons it will work. Cylinders are interchangeable.

17 minutes ago, speedtoad said:

Bringing back some memories. Yes, if you change pistons it will work. Cylinders are interchangeable.

Any idea what the difference is between piston?

Any idea what the difference is between piston?
How it's cut for valves

Piston diff over the years is more than just the cut outs for valves.  In 05, the head volume increased, and the piston had a corresponding geometry change to maintain the compressed volume.  08 YZ250F got an increased compressed volume.

01-04, the top of the piston was concave.

05-07 YZ250F and 05-13 WR250F, piston flat top

08-11 YZ250F, piston top is slightly convex (camel-hump)

12-13 YZ250f, piston convex with slightly different profile than 11 & prior